Re: Ok JUDGES - Who owes Who a Toaster? Porsche 928 VS Mercedes S600

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Zhp9PCxdL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Since you didn't make the terms of your bet sufficiently clear, you must buy each other Hello Kitty Toasters.

Is there a 'Hello Kitty' penalty?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Hmmm... sounds like the judge has spoken... guess I know what toaster we'll be bringing to infineon

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

The 928 went farther in the allotted time.

So to me, they won the bet.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Read the whole bet! By your standards they would only win half the bet therefore a tie.

Pen

You better hurry up and order that toaster Pendejo! Amazon says only 2 left! wink

32 (edited by Troy 2009-11-28 04:58 PM)

Pendejo wrote:
Troy wrote:

Read the whole bet! By your standards they would only win half the bet therefore a tie.

Pen

928    = 195 laps
Benz  = 160 laps

Last I checked 195 > 160, therefore the 928 went farther during the time of the race than the Benz. 

I also believe the 928 spend more time on track during their 195 laps so whether you consider time or distance, I think they had the most of both.

In my opinion, 928 Wins, go buy them a Toaster.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

magnusracing wrote:

You better hurry up and order that toaster Pendejo! Amazon says only 2 left! wink

S.A.D. Magnus and you know what that stands for.

Pen

Troy wrote:
Pendejo wrote:
Troy wrote:

Pen

928    = 195 laps
Benz  = 160 laps

Last I checked 195 > 160, therefore the 928 went farther during the time of the race than the Benz. 

I also believe the 928 spend more time on track during their 195 laps so whether you consider time or distance, I think they had the most of both.

Once again read the whole bet. But then again you are driving a Z so your grey matter is a bit scrambled. 

A. MOST devalued  S600 wins
B. Runs Longest  The 928 completed more laps than the S600 but the S600 could also be started right now and driven to New York where the 928 could not and the S600 took the checkered flag.

But once again you are a Z car driver and that makes you a loser on both terms of this bet..

Pendejo Maximo

Pendejo wrote:

Once again read the whole bet. But then again you are driving a Z so your grey matter is a bit scrambled.

Troy just believes that rules should be made excruciatingly clear! Also, he has strong opinions about L26 distributors.

after diagnosing the ailing 928 estate today......its amazing it made 1/2 those laps...the engine is DONE...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm1BlKelA3M

sure I'm no mechanic...but those types of tolerances can't be good.....

But I'm off topic...getting back to our wager.....lets make a decision....which consists of myself, magnus and pendejo....  which I see three fold

1:  lets pick a toaster (I still prefer Bosch)
2:  decide if it will be functional by Infineon
3:  decide on final bet....my vote is whomever finishes higher at Infineon...purely on finishing position in the final standings...

In order for the bet to be "binding" all three of us need to agree....

Sound good to you guys?

All start, my vote is:

1:  Bosch Stainless
2:  FUNCTIONAL IN CAR
3:  higher finisher "wins" and receives toaster

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Pendejo wrote:
Troy wrote:
Pendejo wrote:

Pen

928    = 195 laps
Benz  = 160 laps

A. MOST devalued  S600 wins
B. Runs Longest  The 928 completed more laps than the S600 but the S600 could also be started right now and driven to New York where the 928 could not and the S600 took the checkered flag.

But once again you are a Z car driver and that makes you a loser on both terms of this bet..

Pendejo Maximo

Regarding A, I forgot about the most devalued thing. 

Of course if you are going to compare there present value to their original value, I think you should have to compare their original sales price in today's dollars compared to their current resale value.  I think the 928 was hella pricey for it's time.  If you adjust the dollars to today, I think the 928 would dwarf the Benz.

Of course the Benz does have a higher salvage value so you could have gotten a greater return on your investment than the 928. 

Then again, 928 parts might have added value for rarity.

Eitherway, they tanked in value.

Regarding B, last I checked the race ended with the checker.  Some races have been won as the car slides over the finish line on it's roof.  That didn't help the guy behind them. 

During the race, the 928 outperformed the Benz.

The 928 could attempt to drive to New York if they were so inclined, they still have a car.  Jay could drive the Benz to NY but you guys got $500 and no Benz. 

Regarding the Zs, it could look better.  We will keep trying.

I saw Toasters at the grocery store for less the $10 tonight.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

38 (edited by magnusracing 2009-11-29 07:57 AM)

Hmmm... well whatever you and Pendejo decide is fine. I need to keep out of this bet (which was not made by me in the first place) as Pendejo is now threatening to abandon the Jaguar and build a race dominating Alfa Romeo. I gotta keep him happy if I ever want the Jaguar on track again as a master Jaguar mechanic is kind of a necessity to get a $500 V-12 Jag to last a whole race. So I will kindly withdraw from toaster debate.

In regards to your 928 engine you should ask Jay for a "residual value". After our Jag V-12 melted down at Buttonwillow he gave us a ZERO dollar residual value which gave us $500 to play with - JUST enough to find a decent junk yard Jag V-12.

I think you all owe me a toaster

magnusracing wrote:

Hmmm... well whatever you and Pendejo decide is fine. I need to keep out of this bet (which was not made by me in the first place) as Pendejo is now threatening to abandon the Jaguar and build a race dominating Alfa Romeo. I gotta keep him happy if I ever want the Jaguar on track again as a master Jaguar mechanic is kind of a necessity to get a $500 V-12 Jag to last a whole race. So I will kindly withdraw from toaster debate.

In regards to your 928 engine you should ask Jay for a "residual value". After our Jag V-12 melted down at Buttonwillow he gave us a ZERO dollar residual value which gave us $500 to play with - JUST enough to find a decent junk yard Jag V-12.

Yup already sent in my pleading request..complete with video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm1BlKelA3M

hopefully it will work

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

magnusracing wrote:

Whoa... that's a fancy toaster. We could buy a Lemons car instead of a pair of those! Maybe we should make eachother toasters out of junk parks in the spirit of lemson. Maybe portable propane torch powered toasters that would work well at a track?

I think a portable toaster that operates independently of the car loses some of the spirit. Now, if it were fueled by gasoline from the FI return line, we'd really be in "what could possibly go wrong?" territory.

magnusracing wrote:

Before the race my crew cheif, "Pendejo", and "Icemang17" of the 928 team made some kind of vague bet about which car would:

A) Last the longest
B) Have the highest value adjusted for inflation based on original MSRP

As you know our S600 can't be beat for "B" with an MSRP of $135K in 1995 ($200K adjusted for inflation).

However "A" has been the source of some contention. "Pendejo" insists that the S600 wins "A" since althought it missed 4 hours of racing on Saturday due to the "Heroic Fix" coolant hose repair it did run all day Sunday and took the checkered flag. It never permanently broke and finished the race. On the other hand "Icemang17" insists his 928 wins "A" since he actually completed more laps than the S600 despite breaking permanently on Sunday and not taking the checkered flag.

So, Judges (and others who care to express an opinion) who wins this one? I think we have four options:

1) 928 owes S600 a Toaster
2) S600 owes 928 a Toaster
3) Nobody owes anyone a toaster
4) Both teams have to buy eachother a toaster

For you lawyer types here is the text of the somewhat vague original bet:

icemang17 wrote:

how about a side wager.....which electrical nightmare goes the longest (assuming they both start) before dying?? 
The Jag or 928???

Pendejo wrote:

Your on! But read carefully! Jag is not coming! But car with 9 ECM's is!

icemang17 wrote:

So what are you bringing...it does sound electrically challenged like the 928...so it should be a fair fight......
but what shall we wager......  hmmmm  something "electrical"....

Pendejo wrote:

We either wager pinks or a toaster. I am hoping the toaster because we know it will work.
As far as what we are bringing that remains a hush hush subject but you will know it when you see it. all 4800 lbs of it..

icemang17 wrote:

OKay you have a BET......BUT it has to work like this......if the 928 lasts longer...then you have to buy me a GERMAN toaster......if the Jag lasts longer then I have to buy you a BRITISH toaster.........since a simple chinese one would be too easy and actually work....  how does that sound?

Pendejo wrote:

Sounds like i am gonna get a toaster!!!  You are going to lose on two counts. Yours will die before ours and you are going to lose the most devalued Lemons car ever. I know it is harsh but i have a craigslist addict on my side who is on that like a day trader on a penny stock.

icemang17 wrote:

ITS ON.......................to make your life "easier" I will settle for a Bosch toaster...

The Rainman in me says the Porsche guys win.

Pardon me while I put on my Troy hat (No offense to Troy)...
The way I read it, the devaluation aspect did not appear to be part of the bet, but a bonus, a bragging rights point... "most devalued Lemons car ever" not of the two.

Also, if you re-read the "OKay you have a BET......BUT it has to work like this...." passage, the details of the bet specifically says which one lasts longer and nothing about value.

Because of all the pre-race secrecy around the S600, if the value aspect had been spelled out as part of, or an amendment to, the original wager, then that part would have been a sucker bet.