Topic: Ever lost the heart to Lemonize a car?

Picked up an '85 190D, 2.2, 5-Speed. 352,000 miles. 870 miles round trip to collect it. Drove it off the trailer and around the block a couple of times. Drives like a new car. Everything works, electric mirrors, heated seats, electric windows, all the dash lights. Suddenly went "Nope... sorry, can't. You're getting restored and turned into a DD." What's your story of the car talking you out of racing it?

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

Re: Ever lost the heart to Lemonize a car?

Did you ever ask the car what it wanted?  No!  You insensitive bastard...

My current E30 is kinda like that.  Bought for a Lemony price, is definitely a Lemony car.  I figured I'd plate it to work out the bugs then build it to race.  I've plated it 3 years running now...but I'm pretty sure THIS time will be the last.  And no it didn't have 3 years worth of bugs to work out.  It just keeps working as a transportation appliance.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

Dude an 85 190 with a 5 speed, we'd kill for that!  Oh, that 5 speed . . . Want want want it!  You shame your diesel Mercedes racing brethren by not racing that MoFo!   *sigh* we'll just have to find some other chassis to cram our 3 liter into.  By your handle I assume you are a Mini guy, which BTW our first team was all made up of  Mini drivers, so now you doubly cast shame upon us!     

But really sounds like a sweet car, don't trash it racing, find a junkyard chassis.

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

currently we have a 1985 BMW 633 that we got so cheap, and it's pretty nice... and an 89 E30 vert, that, but for the horrible top, and thus the horrible interior is otherwise great... sometimes it's hard.  just race it.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

and J said "buy a hooptie and race that mofo" and so it was.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

I bought a '64 Volvo 122 for $350 bucks about a year ago.  It's a one owner car, with only 67,000 miles, and is complete, not terribly rusty, and driveable.  Unfortunately, it has no title, and it's a 4 door, which is the least valuable of the 122s.  I hate to Lemonize it, but I don't see many other options for the car.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I have a 1992 Old Achieve SCX with the W41 Quad 4 that I picked up for $150 with a bad head gasket & moldy interior. The rest of the car is in GREAT condition. Pretty sure it is headed in the DD direction....

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

autoxmike wrote:

I have a 1992 Old Achieve SCX with the W41 Quad 4 that I picked up for $150 with a bad head gasket & moldy interior. The rest of the car is in GREAT condition. Pretty sure it is headed in the DD direction....

Seriously?  You either have a serious GM fetish or some other sickness.

OnkelUdo wrote:
autoxmike wrote:

It is called Quad4itis

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

autoxmike wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
autoxmike wrote:

It is called Quad4itis

Damn.  The only inoculation for that is massive quantities of bourbon, with a forehead massage with a ball pean hammer chaser.  So in other words, you are in the right company.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

In response to the thread title:

No.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

I bought a 91 Beretta GTZ Quad4 HO last fall for $500. It had some electrical issues. I fixed it for about $100 plus my labor and sold it for $1300.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

14 (edited by Baron 2013-10-16 11:24 AM)

Yeah, one of my teamates picked it up at auction, and I claimed it for a daily before it could be turned race car.

97 328i.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r119/Baron733/20130926_185724_zpsf7bbf760.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

My $300 Miata that is too fun to drive to turn into a LeMon, as was its original intent. It's morphed into my DD.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/IMG_17121_zps06b84787.jpg

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

ICAustinMiniMan wrote:

Picked up an '85 190D, 2.2, 5-Speed. 352,000 miles. 870 miles round trip to collect it. Drove it off the trailer and around the block a couple of times. Drives like a new car. Everything works, electric mirrors, heated seats, electric windows, all the dash lights. Suddenly went "Nope... sorry, can't. You're getting restored and turned into a DD." What's your story of the car talking you out of racing it?

Exact same thing happened to me with an LS400.. bought it to strip it down as a drivetrain donor but once I got the motor running I realized everything else worked 100%, even the ac.  My wife tried it out and said she wanted it.  We got 4 good years daily driving duty out of it and I sold it when we moved to a different house with a smaller driveway.  If I had it now I would Lemon it but it's long gone.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

17 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2013-10-16 11:37 AM)

mechimike wrote:

I bought a '64 Volvo 122 for $350 bucks about a year ago.  It's a one owner car, with only 67,000 miles, and is complete, not terribly rusty, and driveable.  Unfortunately, it has no title, and it's a 4 door, which is the least valuable of the 122s.  I hate to Lemonize it, but I don't see many other options for the car.

Ride Dirty.  "I'm on my way to the tax assessors office right now to get plates, occifer."

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Baron wrote:

Yeah, one of my teamates picked it up at auction, and I claimed it for a daily before it could be turned race car.

97 328i.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r119/Baron733/20130926_185724_zpsf7bbf760.jpg

I've got a 97 328is coupe as my DD.  Such a great car.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

IgnoranteWest wrote:
Baron wrote:

97 328i.

I've got a 97 328is coupe as my DD.  Such a great car.

This isnt my first BMW, but I think I forgot how much I actually like driving them. They have both been huge piles of crap, but I still like it. Its just...right.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

97 328i.

You have plates on the Mont and drive that turd?

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

TeamPettyCash wrote:

My $300 Miata that is too fun to drive to turn into a LeMon, as was its original intent. It's morphed into my DD.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/IMG_17121_zps06b84787.jpg

$300 Miata my A$$!!!!11!!!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Team Sensory Assault wrote:
Baron wrote:

97 328i.

You have plates on the Mont and drive that turd?

yes, actually we do.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

That BMW wouldn't move an inch if I had that bitchin Mont to pimp in.

In the reverse spirit of this thread, I'm about to put antique plates on the SIMCA. Mainly so we can take it up to Cars & Coffee at the end of the month, but also for the occasional test drive. There is the possibility that I will drive it to work one day and flip out everybody else who parks in the lot at my office. I need to set up a video camera before I do that I guess. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

25 (edited by Omnilith 2013-10-16 01:51 PM)

I have a little of the reverse.

I love my Scamp so much that I want a clean Rampage/Scamp for a daily driver.

Don't tell my fiancee. She said six cars is my limit.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan