Topic: Friday's Mystery Engine!

In lieu of surfing Craig's List this morning for a LeMons-worthy heap, I thought I'd share a picture/ puzzler sent in by my good friend and co-Chucker Rob.  He recently got back from a business trip, and while on the road he happened to stop by this garage that had some interesting-looking machinery scattered about.  Inside the garage, the mechanic was toiling away on this lump of iron:

http://www.roadflares.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6544&g2_serialNumber=2

125,000 internet fames to whoever can identify the type of engine this is, and double that if you can also I.D. the car it's currently residing in (no, this is not a trick- the engine is currently residing in it's native habitat; it hasn't been the victim of some unholy swap...yet.)

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Re: Friday's Mystery Engine!

Oooh, that's a tough one.  It's an F head which narrows it down significantly, but looks like too many head studs to be a Rover P4 or Willys super hurricane, so I'll guess its a Rolls Royce 4.5 litre from a Silver Wraith

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

It looks a lot like one of the 230CI Oldsmobile side-valves...  So maybe the car is a 1940ish Oldsmobile Dynamic 66?

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

Sonic wrote:

Oooh, that's a tough one.  It's an F head which narrows it down significantly, but looks like too many head studs to be a Rover P4 or Willys super hurricane, so I'll guess its a Rolls Royce 4.5 litre from a Silver Wraith

Man, that was quick!

The car:

http://www.roadflares.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6548&g2_serialNumber=2

"F" head...or (and I am not making this up) "IOE" engine.  IOE, in this case, means "Intake Over Exhaust", but it could just as well mean what we all like it to mean.  ;-)

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

5 (edited by zebrabeefj40 2013-10-18 08:05 AM)

My Googlefoo leads me to guess its a Rover IOE inline 6 or a Hudson inline 6... (dang, I type too slow...)

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

Nice!  I guess I have a little more RR knowledge than most, by necessity, unfortunately.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sonic wrote:

Nice!  I guess I have a little more RR knowledge than most, by necessity, unfortunately.

Dammit. All my fancy British knowledge is wasted on Range Rovers! I'm the poorest of all the royalty!

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

36 head studs? I would like to see the torque order for reassembly of that.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

stimpyvan wrote:

36 head studs? I would like to see the torque order for reassembly of that.

Given that this is a fine motorcar, I believe the specification would be "Torque Adequately."  To provide such numbers would simply be uncouth.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice