Topic: 465 cu.in, 2 cylinder, unwise swap?

Maybe the 3 cylinder Saab guys would be willing to drop down to 2 when they fix/replace their motor.

465 cu.in, 2 cylinder, firing order is 1-2, 3.9:1 compression ratio, revs to 800 rpm, will probably run on any fuel but takes 52 quarts of coolant. I don't see the power/torque specs. Probably a lot more torque than power.

Link: http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor … ngine.html

Re: 465 cu.in, 2 cylinder, unwise swap?

It's a poppin' Johnny!

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

"Firing order is 1-2"

Obvious statement of the day!

I wonder what would happen if you fired it 2-1?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I'm sure it's a diesel. Doesn't leave much throttle /rpm control. But something like this ultra low rpm diesel spinning a generator in an electric vehicle (spank) could be cool.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

there is no way a diesel is running 3:1 compression without help.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

m610 wrote:

Maybe the 3 cylinder Saab guys would be willing....

We are carefully reviewing our engine options.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

jrbe wrote:

I'm sure it's a diesel. Doesn't leave much throttle /rpm control. But something like this ultra low rpm diesel spinning a generator in an electric vehicle (spank) could be cool.

Our throttle control is just fine, thank you! We had choices of "yes" or "no."

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

jrbe wrote:

Definitely not a diesel.  A coworker was rebuilding one of those at a past job.  Big 2 cylinder gas motor...

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

Ok, test on kerosene here, http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor … tests.html
Not really fuel efficient. A lister(oid) could be a good hybrid while driving/ battery charging option instead...if you find one big enough, it could be used for drive power but the low rpms would still make it really tough.
I'm not sure if they are splash lubrication, wonder how that would do during a sustained corner.

jrbe wrote:

A lister(oid) could be a good hybrid while driving/

You know what a small Lister weighs?  A two cylinder (I believe it is not longer a Lister at that pointbut a Petter) but lets just say it gets close to a 454 plus the tranny to bolt to it!

A cheap 3800 RPM Chinese diesel used for...wait for it...generators would make a better hybrid powertrain.

OnkelUdo wrote:
jrbe wrote:

You know what a small Lister weighs?  A two cylinder (I believe it is not longer a Lister at that pointbut a Petter) but lets just say it gets close to a 454 plus the tranny to bolt to it!

A cheap 3800 RPM Chinese diesel used for...wait for it...generators would make a better hybrid powertrain.

I can't find a 6/1 or 12/2 listeroid for cheap. depressing. I want one for my mancave.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

OnkelUdo wrote:
jrbe wrote:

Yes, a small not insanely heavy diesel was what i was thinking.  A lister has been on my want list for a while but I had no idea they weighed that much! Weight hasn't stopped other Lemons teams from picking ill advised engines in the past, so why not? You're gonna have a bunch of batteries too but no engine or transmission in an electric unless you keep the tranny.
Low rpm = a more fuel efficient engine coupled with pulleys to spin a gen head its proper speed is what i had in mind. Yes you need more power to spin the gen head faster with the pulleys.

Also, If you somehow got a lister in your lemon you'd have an instant theme, http://otherpower.com/images/fuking/fuking5.jpg

You'd need a beefy generator head and engine to have it keep the batteries topped up while racing.  Im not doing this or really wanting to try, I'd just love to see it done or attempted. Im sure it would blow a normal Lemons budget by a lot though.

Instant win! DOMINATION!!!!!

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

tSoG wrote:

there is no way a diesel is running 3:1 compression without help.

i ran a quick calculation using my engine compression calculator.
with a head volume of 200 cc the static CR would be 18.4:1
head volume of 150cc static CR is 23:1

So whom ever did the calculations and got 3.9:1 was a ding a ling.

if someone can tell me at what crank rotation angle the intake valving closes (effect closing for a 2 stroke), i can tell you the real CR.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

You would need to hook that up to a CVT or at least a 15 speed tranny to get any kind of speed out of it. 800 RPM is idle speed in most engines so put your car in high gear and run it at 800 RPM and see what you get might need about a 1:1 gear ratio in the rear end too ... smile

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Sambr wrote:

brother, we're talking about 80 years of technology here. The more you improve the engine of this, the better you can't go faster than your oxen. Take a look at that, date of manufacture is 1923!

Take a look at that, a 7 year old thread!

Had to do it.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:
Sambr wrote:

brother, we're talking about 80 years of technology here. The more you improve the engine of this, the better you can't go faster than your oxen. Take a look at that, date of manufacture is 1923!

Take a look at that, a 7 year old thread!

Had to do it.

I've always wanted to ask the question... What the heck were they searching for that led them to the zombie thread?

Simple in this case. They are spammers.

And now deleted.