Topic: 928 "estate" has seen better days :>(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm1BlKelA3M

Well we finally pulled the engine from our 928 "estate" and the outlook is NOT GOOD....granted I'm no mechanic, but I would say thats just a we bit much tolerance on the #6 rod bearing....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Re: 928 "estate" has seen better days :>(

Our car is still on the trailer...

Maybe next week I'll look at why the trans doesn't work.

What are you going to do?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Ahem...SBC...cough cough...Carbed...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

eh, resize the rods and turn the crank-- good enough for at least 1 more Lemons race. Bearings can't be THAT much for them, can they?

Ran into the same thing on a an engine 2 nights ago. It still ran great, just knocked like at anything other than idle and down to like 15psi of oil pressure.

Don't you have another engine in your sub-$500 '79 928? Problem solved!

Dude get me a 928 for $500 bucks I'll drive that shit as my daily driver. Then I can holler at the ladys from the front seat of my Porsche, cause there is no substitute.

What you should do is ask Jay for a "residual value" after completing Thunderhills. After our Jaguar's V-12 melted down at Buttonwillow Jay gave us a ZERO dollar residual value and we were able to find a decent junk yard motor for $500.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

sleeve it n' leave it! im sure you can find some cheap bearings and some Restore out of the budget you'll have after residual hits.

9 (edited by vwdmc16 2009-11-29 03:33 PM)

no porsche v8s are really finicky with replacement bearing even with refinished cranks and double checking torances. besides bearings arent cheap, nor are gaskets so we are going with another good used engine, this will save a ton of budget, then will wil be applying some evil genius custom oiling systems to keep her alive. more to come...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm1BlKelA3M

the engine is  KAPUT (in my best german accent like the video)......but there is hope...we have a spare bottom end in good condition that we can use....yes the gaskets and bearings are EXPENSIVE...so hopefully Jay will give us a fair residual that allows a "by the book" repair....I think we can do it for about $250...but $500 would be better... $0 residual would be perfect..  I sent the request in already....but haven't heard yet

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Remember that it was Jay's $500 Double 500 928 that inspired him to start Lemons in the first place. You'll probably do OK in the Residual Value Sweepstakes.

yeah so just in case we do have that '79 engine which is in good shape

MurileeMartin wrote:

Remember that it was Jay's $500 Double 500 928 that inspired him to start Lemons in the first place. You'll probably do OK in the Residual Value Sweepstakes.

The bummer is Jay did own a 928, so he knows precisely what they really are worth....so the "residual" value was too high.....so I'll just sell off one of the 8 million computers to recover enough $$$ to pay for new rod bearings....  or the $500 used AC compressor that actually worked.....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

at least we still have a sweet estate, no if i could only find the time to make my ghia sedan delivery..........

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/ghiadelivery3.jpg

32v?

8 time Lemons loser!
Go team Faster Farms! [ http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com ]

Graft two 924 motors together to make a replacement 928.  How hard could it be??

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

What a bunch of crying babies. Wah -- my rod bearings don't feel good!

Just swap in a Gen III Maserati Quattroporte V8 and be done with it.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I think in honor of the Z31 chassis this car should be equipped with a VG30E, you could theme it as the AXIS, and just like Japan/Germany in WWII, it will end in a hugeFiery explosion, killing many people, and America will prevail.

Do it for your country.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

mikespeed95 wrote:

I think in honor of the Z31 chassis this car should be equipped with a VG30E, you could theme it as the AXIS, and just like Japan/Germany in WWII, it will end in a hugeFiery explosion, killing many people, and America will prevail.

Do it for your country.

NICE...that would be cool....1/2 the team samurai's and the other 1/2 nazi....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Judge Jonny wrote:

Parts to make the Maser motor work again approach 10X the Lemons budget, can you imagine $1000 rod/main bearing sets and $600 gasket sets, and we still have to find a crank or get the one we have welded, lets not talk about the fried connecting rods.     I think the beautiful 4 cam will be nothing more than a table base.........

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

We would be very unhappy to see a 928 with Ford or Chevy V8 power, but we'd be OK with a Chrysler small-block.

How about a L28 swap from an S30?  You'll win for sure!   :-)

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Evil Genius wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Parts to make the Maser motor work again approach 10X the Lemons budget, can you imagine $1000 rod/main bearing sets and $600 gasket sets, and we still have to find a crank or get the one we have welded, lets not talk about the fried connecting rods.     I think the beautiful 4 cam will be nothing more than a table base.........

Sorry to hear it.  I guess that's why those cars are worth so little used.  They are always one little thing away from needing a Brinks truck full of cash to pay for repairs.  Sadly, I say cut the cage out and move on to the next U-boat some poor guy is giving away because of some f'ed up electrical mess like the wipers coming on when you push the brake pedal.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

but we'd be OK with a Chrysler small-block.

So it's green light on a 318, 340 or 360, just no 440's?

Will you look the other way if I shoehorn a 318 into a 914? http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif

KT

GnomeFabTech wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Sorry to hear it.  I guess that's why those cars are worth so little used.  They are always one little thing away from needing a Brinks truck full of cash to pay for repairs.  Sadly, I say cut the cage out and move on to the next U-boat some poor guy is giving away because of some f'ed up electrical mess like the wipers coming on when you push the brake pedal.

No no!  we're talking about the 4.9L 4 cam Maserati motor we have as door stop here at my shop..  Jonny knows about it.   The Porsche motor only needs $2K to be made right, not $5K.  We are probably going to swap the L-jet on the 4.7 over to a 4.5 K-jet we already have.   We'll have to fab up some kind of windage tray to keep the motor together.  The rod bearing failure was not a surprise, it is very common on 928s, but we keep bumping into that pesky $500 limit.......

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'