Re: Advance Auto Buys Carquest. Discuss.

My local auto parts buying process has basically become the following:

1. Look up part on all the local parts stores' websites, see who has it in stock for the best price
2. Add part to cart, use a coupon code if I can find one, order part for in-store pickup
3. Go to store, ask for the part I ordered, leave

When it comes to online parts shopping experience, Advance is one of the best. CarQuest is just about the worst. So, if this buyout this leads to a better website for Carquest, or Carquest parts in Advance's online inventory, that would be a win for me.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

I like my arrangement... Teammate is a garage owner... He's got a guy that works for NAPA and delivers... Also has lots of other guys that deliver.  I just ask for what I/we need and it's there!  Magic!!!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

It would be nice if the Advance pricing goes to Carquest.  My closest store is a carquest, but even with a business account, they are still priced higher then anyone else.  The advance's around here tend to actually have good staff, and a low turnover rate on employees.  Some guys have been working there 10-15 years.  The online store works pretty good too, just placed an order before I jumped on here. 
I like Oreilly because they keep a lot of holley and other performance parts on hand, that you can only find at a race shop or online.
Autozone is avoided at all costs.

Captain- PDank Pedal Pushers
Popped my LeMon at Chubba Cheddar 2013
'96 Camo Cavalier
www.facebook.com/pdankracing

Funny thing - the closest Advance to me has its own standalone location that has been open for about seven years.  Directly across the street, a Carquest inside a shopping center only lasted three years.

I don't prefer one over the other, personally.

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...

Good: There are about to be a lot of 'Private Label' parts for cheap on Rockauto because it's cheaper to liquidate than rebox everything.

Bad: Where the hell else am I going to hand a pair of driveshaft yokes to a guy with literally no forearms and say "I need a U-joint that fits this. The one in the catalog is wrong" and actually get one?

At the rate Napas are getting dumbed down, I'm pretty sure we're about to hit a point where it's not possible to buy weird parts unless you know the P/N in advance - and none of the manufacturers publish detailed catalogs where us end-users can get them. Hell, we're lucky to get bullshit "Application guides".

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

None of these places have any parts I'd need except for generic things like oil filters and in-line fuel filters. I took the Tinyvette to our O'Reilly's and the young-uns where checking it out, then the guy at the register asked me what it was and I said "Corvette", and he relayed that to his friends in the parking lot. I don't fault them for not knowing what an Opel is but, sheesh, a Corvette? (Saying it is a Ferrari works on some people, too.)

NAPA helps with the parts I need and the fluids and sticky stiff I put between the hard stuff. I get pretty good discounts from them but haven't been able to convince them to deliver to my place yet, although they did do that once.

We don't have a CarQuest or Auto Zone or Advance in town.