Re: Removing power steering

Loren wrote:
ifb_mole wrote:
Loren wrote:

Leave the power steering in.  Max out the caster and add a touch of toe-out if you want more steering feel/responsiveness.

Loren,

How do you "max out" castor on a MacPherson strut car without purchasing parts?  Can an alignment shop "shim" it or something?  More castor would help and we already have a wee bit of toe out, but the steering is still "numb".

First, quit spending money on alignment shops.  This is Lemons.  Learn to take a few simple measurements for yourself.

Caster can be adjusted with a strut suspension in the same way camber is.  For extra camber, you slot the bolt holes at the top of the strut tower inward so that the whole works can be tilted inward giving more static camber.  To increase caster, you want to tilt the top of the assembly more rearward (correct me if I have that backwards, guys), so angle your camber slots in that direction and you'll get more caster.

The exact numbers aren't critical for Lemons racing, just try to do the same thing on each side so that caster and camber are close to the same left and right, and be sure to reset your toe when you're done.

You are right on the caster.

IcantDo55 wrote:

I'll keep PS just going to add a cooler so it does not over heat and boil out agaon, other than that it was nice to have.  Flame me.

I added an automatic transmission cooler to replace the small power steering cooler Ford used. Dropped my PS fluid temp in the reservoir 100 degrees, to 170.

Pt Cruisers have nice aluminum ones.

Pulled the PS the week of the race.  Like said above, below 5mph it was tough steering, but under any other condition it wasn't noticed.  Longest sting was ~ 1:45 (by me) and I was far from fatigued when I was done.  Then again, our car weighed just over 2k.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

We had no choice with the Thunderbird, PS removal means no way to run the belts. Believe me, I scratched my head for a few days over that one, trying to figure out how to ditch it. Why oh why did anyone ever invent reverse rotation water pumps?

Something else which helps with PS removal: go with the largest diameter steering wheel you can comfortably sit behind. More leverage = easier steering. That's why all those huge road yachts of years past had enormous steering wheels. Easy/cheap swap on a Miata would be a 1st gen RX7 steering wheel; yes it will fit. BTDT. It probably will fit a lot of other Japanese steering columns as well.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

30 (edited by Eyesoreracing 2009-12-14 01:25 AM)

IcantDo55 wrote:

I'll keep PS just going to add a cooler so it does not over heat and boil out agaon, other than that it was nice to have.  Flame me.

Just watch out for the big fitting on top of the pump. Ours cracked and pissed all its fluid all over the exhaust manifold. This is apparently the common failure point on Miatas.

We've run two races without the P/S now. We have 110-lb girls doing 2+ hour stints, and they aren't complaining (much). So far we've been running max caster (it's adjustable on Miatas). Since we're doing back-to-back races in January (Phoenix and Streets of Willow, two weekends in a row), we decided to try less caster to save the arms a bit. Probably won't know how much it helped until Phoenix, though.

It should be noted that we're running stock wheels (no funny offsets) and skinny 195/60-14 Falken Azenis tires. Wider tires, lower offsets, or front-wheel drive will all make the steering heavier.