Re: Total and utter domination, coming to a racetrack near you in 2014

Judge Phil wrote:

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTXF13/327%20-%20UG%20-%2024%20Hours%20of%20LeMons%20MSR%202013.jpg

There's a 911 racing in Lemons now, though we've hammered it with many penalty laps due to lack of documentation/flaky story. It's still butt slow.

I almost took out this car at the MSR-H race.  Thankfully the driver of the 911 was smart enough to hear the screech of my tires and avoided getting duct tape marks on the passenger side of history.

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

Yeah, a Chrysler LH engine would be ideal. Do it!

You know, with the longitudinal arrangement, that wouldn't be bad.  Was there any LH v-6 manual?  I know the auto trannys are really, really bad from personal experience keeping two alive.

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

It doesn't matter which way the engine spins.  In the Porsche 901 and 915 transaxle, you can flip the ring gear to the other side to make it work either direction.
Corvair motor spins the wrong way? No problem - flip the ring gear to the other side and problem solved.

I was thinking of going two-stroke... http://gcaptain.com/wartsilas-secret-weapon-revealed/

Hella Shitty Racing -- Premium Crapcan Racing since 2010!
- VOTE FORD
- Ferdinand the Bug (2x class C, 1x class B, IoE)
- Ferkel the Nein-11 (Org Choice, class C, Heroic Fix)

racer_chuck wrote:

It doesn't matter which way the engine spins.  In the Porsche 901 and 915 transaxle, you can flip the ring gear to the other side to make it work either direction.
Corvair motor spins the wrong way? No problem - flip the ring gear to the other side and problem solved.

That thought occurred to us, too. But sadly it's not that simple, because it means you'd still be running the mainshaft and all the gears and synchros backwards. They really aren't meant to be run backwards.

- VOTE FORD

philikon wrote:
racer_chuck wrote:

That thought occurred to us, too. But sadly it's not that simple, because it means you'd still be running the mainshaft and all the gears and synchros backwards. They really aren't meant to be run backwards.

And our Saturn isn't meant to be doing 100+mph down the straights of a race track!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Dammit, somebody stole our idea! http://jalopnik.com/this-911-with-a-toy … 1464260196

- VOTE FORD

Can you just turn the entire transaxle backwards and put the Corvair engine in the backseat area? Mid-engine Corvair 911!

35 (edited by ninjacoco 2013-11-14 03:57 PM)

Can I have your 911 engine? I have a 944 I need to "fix." Haha.

Type 4 swap that, yo. Type. 4.

Coolant sucks--fact. Even Sajeev's Sierra was barfing it up at MSR-H. Stick with the aircooleds...you know you waaaaant toooooo.

wild bill wrote:

Can you just turn the entire transaxle backwards and put the Corvair engine in the backseat area? Mid-engine Corvair 911!

This.

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

Flip the Ring Gear in the case..... or swap for a 901 out of a 914.  Either way it will run backwards and work for your corvair option.  We have decided to go with an evil water cooled motor for our next race.  I am a little worried about the extra weight hanging off the back end of the an already light and rear heavy car...  I would love to see pictures of the cage as my neighbor has an 84 911 that has front end damage that I want to race in Lemons...

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

philikon wrote:

I was thinking of going two-stroke...

That one looks big. But this should fit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcO_2pLqYqw

Obviously 12a rotary would be the best option with vw transaxle

wild bill wrote:

There's a lot of structural metal there. In that case you better start off with a 914, really.

- VOTE FORD

ninjacoco wrote:

Can I have your 911 engine? I have a 944 I need to "fix." Haha.

Sorry, already sold.

Type 4 swap that, yo. Type. 4.

That's just too straightforward. I mean, Porsche 912E...

- VOTE FORD

Funny story about the type 4 engine in the shop.  Guess where the motor from this 911 is going?

I'm thinking Subaru Legacy V-6 mid engine. Cable shifter IIRC and lots of subie/914 swaps around so axles & CV joints won't bee too hard to figure out. This is all if the bellhousing will fit over the torsion bar tube.

Little Buckaroo wrote:

Flip the Ring Gear in the case..... or swap for a 901 out of a 914.

Yeah, I know how to play the parts Lego. But I'd like the transaxle to last, too. Running it backwards will be pretty bad for the gears (thrust washers in the wrong position) and the diff (load on the wrong side). Not that I've tried this myself, but this is what I hear.

Given that Ferdinand the Bug's Subaru motor is already blowing up transmissions like it's the 4th of July (we're into 3 transmissions in 4 races), I'd prefer not to build another car where the transaxle is the weak point.

Either way it will run backwards and work for your corvair option.

Since you seem so awfully confident, you probably won't mind loaning me 3 spare 914 transaxles? You'll get them back if we don't blow them up. tongue

We have decided to go with an evil water cooled motor for our next race.  I am a little worried about the extra weight hanging off the back end of the an already light and rear heavy car...

I'm glad we went with the Subaru EJ22 in Ferdinand the Bug. Only 30 lbs heavier and 1" wider than the 1600dp!

I would love to see pictures of the cage as my neighbor has an 84 911 that has front end damage that I want to race in Lemons...

Sure, will take pictures of the cage tonight and post them. It's beautiful work done by Evil Genius.

- VOTE FORD

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:
philikon wrote:

I was thinking of going two-stroke...

That one looks big. But this should fit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcO_2pLqYqw

OMG YES

- VOTE FORD

Old school air-cooled VW. Porsches like air cooling. Two stroke sounds fun as well. If you really want to DOMINATE,  transplant the entire drive assembly from it's distant cousin the neon!

Coming soon to an upper-midwest track near nobody in particular....

philikon wrote:
Little Buckaroo wrote:

We have decided to go with an evil water cooled motor for our next race.  I am a little worried about the extra weight hanging off the back end of the an already light and rear heavy car...

I'm glad we went with the Subaru EJ22 in Ferdinand the Bug. Only 30 lbs heavier and 1" wider than the 1600dp!

Also, with the radiator up front, we actually have 43/57 weight distribution in the Bug.

- VOTE FORD

philikon wrote:

(Tangent: has anybody ever run a TDI in Lemons?)

Smokey unit (1980 fiat spider) won the Kershaw County Mosquito Abatement Trophy at the Fall South race. 
They swapped a TDI into the Fiat and made it vary difficult to follow them, as there was a heavy cloud of diesel particulate and turbo oil.
But they looked good doing it.

Im trying to figure out how you are blowing transmissions in the bug with an EJ22.  The Warburg ran the same combo and was heavily abused on the drag strip with nary an issue.

EJ22 is well below the power thresholds of the bug trans.  It will hold slightly north of 200hp without much complaint, the CV joints are like fusable links, they'll usually blow long before the trans will.

Go surf the samba for a cheap KEP adapter, whatever motor it fits, use that smile  The cheap ones are usually for stuff like Pintos or old toyota motors, loads of fun.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Nothing good could come from this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ … id=1537630

or this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ … id=1379537

Go ahead, flip the ring gear

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ … id=1391892
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ … id=1469569

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."