Topic: TH 2009- anybody get the BIG penalties?

Crossing the white line on the front straight before T1-
ONE hour.

ANY mistake during fueling-
TWO hours.

Did anybody blow it?

I have video of several crossing the line.
I even have footage of two cars on the out laps before the green flag dropped.

Anybody?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Re: TH 2009- anybody get the BIG penalties?

I was walking the pits when a car came in and the driver jumped out as though he was on fire, their "fueling rig" (a large plastic jug with a hand pump) was inserted in the tank and they started pumping the fuel, the rig moved a bit and the hose popped out of the fuel neck and fuel flew everywhere!!.  They had a sweet pit position too; right by track entry in plain view of more than one yellow shirted offical.  A LOT of fuel poured out (with no catch pan either) and they continued to fuel with not a blink or a second look from anyone. The new driver got in and off they went.  Their pit stops were fast, you can tell they put a lot of thought into them.  They didn't get a penalty because they finished in the top 10.  I guess you just can't see all violations, some go unseen when you have 150+ cars pitting and fueling all at different times and locations in the pits.

I didn't hear of one penalty for crossing the white line.  Actually I didn't see too many violate that rule when I was in the observation tower, though Tommy Kendall, oops "Fomfor", would claim otherwise.

ifb_mole wrote:

They didn't get a penalty because they finished in the top 10.

You can easily finish in the top-10 despite penalties and top 10 cars do get penalties as well. We had 6 penalties (including 2 "weld stuff on the car") and finished 5th.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

At Buttonwillow we got busted pretty good - We had a catch can, two guys in full suits etc BUT the second guy was just standing there and not holding the fire extinguisher in his hands. Unfortunately for us one of the safety trucks cruised by right then and busted us. Our penalty took us over an hour and was pretty expensive too (had to add a second muffler to our alfa romeo because they didn't like how it sounded).

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

I should have said they didn't get a 2 hour penalty.  I doubt a team could suffer a 2 hour penalty and still finish in the top 10

Trekkor,
We were hanging around the penalty box on Saturday afternoon (as spectators) when one team came in for its 5th penalty.  The Judges told them to go park the car because they were done.  I don't know if they let them back out on Sunday or not.

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

When I witnessed the Daihatsu team that tried to recreate the gas fight scene in Zoolander at one of their pitstops I felt they needed a talking to by the Honorable Judge Jonny.  They slowed down and took their time the rest of the weekend after learned that lesson.

It is often observed that the penalty is directly related (or even squared depending on how hungry or tired the judges are) to the amount of whining involved.  Here's a secret: don't argue, say yes sir, don't change your answers, swap drivers and go back racing.  Oh, and don't do it again.  End of story in and out of the box in a much swifter fashion.

8 (edited by djcommie 2009-12-06 09:07 PM)

vwminispeedster wrote:

When I witnessed the Daihatsu team that tried to recreate the gas fight scene in Zoolander at one of their pitstops I felt they needed a talking to by the Honorable Judge Jonny.  They slowed down and took their time the rest of the weekend after learned that lesson..

Let me be really clear about this before I make my related comments: I DO NOT DISAGREE WITH JONNY OR JAY'S RULING ON MY FUELLING MISHAP. I wish to clear up my side of the story and what Jay and the Supreme Court say is final and from here on out is solely my opinion a Dai Hard's Team Captain and is not to be alluded to as truth, which is completely under the realm of the Lemons Chief Perp and his Supreme Court.

this is a recollection based on my experience as well as photographic evidence
We followed 100% of the fueling protocols, including spill mitigation using supplied containment booms, drip tray and all the safety rules were applied with total adherence. We did spill an undetermined amount of fuell <.25 Gallons as the 5 Gal in the can was indicated by the fuel gauge, and hence not on the ground. The suited driver filling the car had stood in the drip tray whilst filling, and since was on the low side for whatever reason, dripped fuel onto his shoes. There was little 'chuckleheadery" as Jay puts it, and Jonny's question posed to an ill-informed team member involved with fueling (did not know the details and hence replied with a "no" answer when probed by Jonny about spillage) being taken as a incendiary (lol) attitude when cross referenced with my explanation while at the fueling site. The whole team reported to the penalty box, and took the stance that the fuel spill (there was one) was minor and mitigated, and received responses that stunned and surprised me, even prepared for getting quite yelled as I know the severity of spillage and the probationary nature of the paddock-based fueling. I was advised that the rain was gone and henceforth all standing water was absent under the canopy (it was not, refer figure 1) and that all standing liquid was my rendition of the Exxon Valdez. I decided that the overriding desire to not challenge meant me lying about what I personally saw, and that certainly backfired and we were out.

I was advised by kind-hearted souls (that I'll neglect to mention but I owe you all one) to re-engage Jay in conversation about re-entering the race. We had a heart-to-heart and we were back in. I really appreciate that I was able to re-enter, and I'd only like to show that there are 2 sides to every story, and nobody doubts this was a happy ending for all!

fig 1. Shortly before our first (and nearly last fueling), showing the extent of standing water present at the time, and our drip-pan.
http://daihatsu-fans.org/Lemons/higuys/DSC_0191-small.jpghttp://daihatsu-fans.org/Lemons/higuys/DSC_0192-small.jpghttp://daihatsu-fans.org/Lemons/higuys/DSC_0193-small.jpg

Note: I hope this is not taken as an insult or undermining the effiacy or jurisprudence of the Lemons Court, but I'd prefer to have my evidence known before being villified.

Note2: I cannot do anything but accept blame for using insufficient containers and questionable filling methods, but in no times was anything regarding protocol violated.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

Except for the part when some people on your team told me to my face that you hand't spilled any fuel even though I was standing in it when they lied to me.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I hear the Capri guys were party poopers Jonny, whats your take on that?

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

I don't remember which car it was...but during my stint at the end of the day on Saturday a blue car was literally spitting gas EVERYWHERE....I even used my windshield wipers to clear it.....thats SCARY

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

I don't remember which car it was...but during my stint at the end of the day on Saturday a blue car was literally spitting gas EVERYWHERE....I even used my windshield wipers to clear it.....thats SCARY

x2.  I actually triggered my wipers because of the amount of fuel coming out of the black #45 Isuzu.  It was literally spraying all over the place; I passed it and was glad I never saw it again during my stint. 

-----Matt-----

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

icemang17 wrote:

Holy F!@*...that was GAS!!!

I too got that crap all over my windshield. That's just F-ed up. Glad our hood was in tact.

I remember seeing this.
Maybe it's on our in-car video.

I'll have to watch again.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

It was the black Mustang. I have it on our in-car video, where I'm gesticulating at the corner workers and waving at the car. I reported it to tech, but nothing came of it. I went out later to the Turn 10-11-12 overlook and it was still spewing EVERY LAP out of the fill port area.

Still not as bad as the first Altamont '07, where one of the Pintos was leaving a cloud behind and you had to leave your wipers on as long as you were behind. That would have been a .9 of a mile ribbon of fire- fun for a stunt show, but maybe a little stressful for a bunch of wannabe racers...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24