Topic: People's Curse Award

So, I've been ancient posts in Our Crappy Race and perusing Lemons Penalty Box judgments from ancient times (say 2007 or so) and noticed the demise of the People's Curse destruction o' Lemons.  What's the backstory?

(One of the best I've seen was a firebird that the judges really didn't want to whack since it was so entertaining to watch as it slalomed about the course.... until one of the drivers did a burnout in the penalty box.

(That's when the hammers and bobcat came out.)

Ex-USAF civilian, still a wench

Re: People's Curse Award

I have raced since the end of 2010 and never seen a people's curse as in car get destroyed by heavy equipment. They used to hand out ballots at the races, but hardly anyone would vote.

I voted one time, because a certain team was driving like complete a-holes. I believe the curse for them was a 3 hour park job.

The only other curse I remember seeing was that everyone got to come up to the cursed car with a wrench and remove one part from the car. I did not take part unfortunately, because that curse is funny to me and does not totally destroy a car, just makes the team have to thrash it back together.

And then there was the rx7 team in Sonoma who had radios on the police frequency, which delayed the start of the race, they got the people's curse even after they bought a bunch of free beer that Saturday night. Their curse was that every piece of their engine had to fit into a cardboard box the judges found, so they cut it into strips, taped it together, made a giant ring of cardboard, and drove their car through it, ingenious, then they were allowed to race again.

Pure speculation, but I am guessing that with the added cost of the safety equipment and investments in these cars on average of $5000 to get them to the track, people did not have the heart to destroy another person's car. Most likely the ballots probably just became a pain for Lemons staff to deal with and they finally determined it was not worth printing them up.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Ah, so desu neh!

Radios on the police band.  Jaysus, the only thing worse would be if they landed on the Secret Service's frequencies during a visit by high and mighty ones.

The curse was on it's way out because a lot of people were not submitting the forms.  If HQ had 20 forms, then the cursed team might only have 4-5 votes against them to get the curse.  Those 4-5 votes might have been only for a car looking too nice, the porsche at Nelson ledges comes to mind, even though they were not on track hardly at all.  From there, HQ put a very high requirement on getting the curse (51% of all the teams must vote on one car) which caused no one to get it and then they quietly did away with it. 

As a side note, some of the later curses here on the east coast were people volunteering their cars.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

5 (edited by ninjacoco 2013-12-02 01:01 PM)

Yeah--I think a lot of folks deemed "the curse" too mean and didn't want to curse anyone unless there was stand-out asshat bahavior. I'm not too sad to see it leave, but I kind of wish it'd stuck around as more of a "really long, involved, hilarious penalty" instead of a "we're gonna take it out on your car" one.

The graduated curse (severity based on percentage of votes) they were doing in 2011 seemed to strike the right balance between time-consuming shenanigans and outright destruction, IMHO. One of our friends got saran wrapped to their cars for a paddock-wide apology, heh. Amusing to all...err, most, took them down a notch standings-wise, and not destructive in the least bit.

RobL wrote:

The curse was on it's way out because a lot of people were not submitting the forms.  If HQ had 20 forms, then the cursed team might only have 4-5 votes against them to get the curse.  Those 4-5 votes might have been only for a car looking too nice, the porsche at Nelson ledges comes to mind, even though they were not on track hardly at all.  From there, HQ put a very high requirement on getting the curse (51% of all the teams must vote on one car) which caused no one to get it and then they quietly did away with it. 

As a side note, some of the later curses here on the east coast were people volunteering their cars.

There was that car at Stafford that got "disassembled" by the crowd.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

USAF wench wrote:

Radios on the police band.  Jaysus, the only thing worse would be if they landed on the Secret Service's frequencies during a visit by high and mighty ones.

AFAIK they were cops from Oakland using some of their work equipment...

Hella Shitty Racing -- Premium Crapcan Racing since 2010!
- VOTE FORD
- Ferdinand the Bug (2x class C, 1x class B, IoE)
- Ferkel the Nein-11 (Org Choice, class C, Heroic Fix)

ninjacoco wrote:

Yeah--I think a lot of folks deemed "the curse" too mean and didn't want to curse anyone unless there was stand-out asshat bahavior. I'm not too sad to see if leave, but I kind of wish it'd stuck around as more of a "really long, involved, hilarious penalty" instead of a "we're gonna take it out on your car" one.

The graduated curse (severity based on percentage of votes) they were doing in 2011 seemed to strike the right balance between time-consuming shenanigans and outright destruction, IMHO. One of our friends got saran wrapped to their cars for a paddock-wide apology, heh. Amusing to all...err, most, took them down a notch standings-wise, and not destructive in the least bit.

The last curse at MSR was the top three cars, and they decided that wasnt going to happen, so they dismissed it.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

The last curse at MSR was the top three cars, and they decided that wasnt going to happen, so they dismissed it.

yeah, I think once HQ proved to themselves that comprehensive flagging for idiocy had toned down most of the asshattery on the course, and started seeing people try to use curse votes in strictly strategic fashion (voting for front-runners just to get them a black flag), they knew the usefulness of the curse was gone.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

http://www.murileemartin.com/LNL09/LNL09-1996.jpg

It was the People's Curse at Nelson Ledges that made us decide that the idea no longer worked (here's Jay pouring "Cash For Clunkers Juice" in the People's Curse winner's engine). A Porsche 944 that looked shiny (but wasn't cheaty) blew its head gasket a couple laps into the race, got the most votes in Curse balloting, got its engine destroyed in spite of not running all day. How many votes? Eight. Also around that time, contending teams were spreading rumors about all the other contending teams on Saturday night, trying to get them Cursed out of the race. On top of that, teams had gone from disposable who-gives-a-shit cars to cars with lots of blood and sweat invested, so the entertainment value of The Curse stopped outweighing the misery inflicted on winners (who, as time went by, were clearly the victims of gossip and/or bad perception instead of their own overaggressive driving).

Once we started doing the 3-hour timeout for the fourth black flag of a race session, there wasn't as much reason to hold the threat of the curse over the crashy/aggro teams, because on-track antics calmed down a lot once we removed the worst few offenders for a few hours at a shot.

11 (edited by RogueLeader 2013-11-27 12:46 PM)

chaase wrote:
RobL wrote:

There was that car at Stafford that got "disassembled" by the crowd.

Yeah I was standing to close to that and got hit by a flying bumper being ripped off.  The term "disassembled" is used very loosely here, as it was the most violent form I've ever seen.

Rob described it best.  Also it changed once the safety rules got far stricter.  We ended up cutting our original cage out of the car and getting a very professional (expensive) one put in after the cage was DQ'ed by Lemons following the first NJ race, and most any other car that has survived since that time period has had the same done.  Many teams are putting close to $5000 into an initial build and with the stricter penalties (basically 3 BF's and youre parked for a while) people drove better and it was hard for HQ to justify destroying something with that much money in to it (especially when hardly anyone was voting).

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

And yet the legend of the Curse lives on in the minds of people who've never been to a Lemons race.

It seems like at least 3 or 4 times a year I correct someone's incorrect perception about that.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Jay wears glasses?!   That explains a lot.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

Racin_G73 wrote:

And yet the legend of the Curse lives on in the minds of people who've never been to a Lemons race.

It seems like at least 3 or 4 times a year I correct someone's incorrect perception about that.

Yeah, same here. I got into Lemons late 2010/early 2011 when factually the curse was already on its way out, but given the internet hype around it, it was definitely haunting us during the car build. "OMG, what if we get the Curse? We've worked on this fucking car for MONTHS!!!"

Hella Shitty Racing -- Premium Crapcan Racing since 2010!
- VOTE FORD
- Ferdinand the Bug (2x class C, 1x class B, IoE)
- Ferkel the Nein-11 (Org Choice, class C, Heroic Fix)

Was Jay's VW Bus at Reno the last People's Curse car that actually got crushed with heavy equipment?  I can't remember if that Bradley GT thing was before or after that.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

The Bradley GT crush was after the VW Bus crush, but that wasn't a People's Curse. That was Dave Morrow hating the car so much that he wanted us to destroy it. He took the engine out first (and it lives on in the Reatta, or maybe the Gremlin).

17 (edited by USAF wench 2013-11-27 09:14 PM)

philikon wrote:
USAF wench wrote:

AFAIK they were cops from Oakland using some of their work equipment...

Man, that's a whole new pinnacle in stup...uh...foolishness.  I'm betting their department's radio shop didn't know about it either.

I'm thinking the Legend Of The Curse lives on due to some of the YouTube offerings.  If I was around at the time and seeing the voting change to strategic, I'd be for offing it too.

I rather enjoyed this amazing curse....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQChF-jGQIc

I was the first one to use Equipment for the Peoples Curse  starting July 07 and it started with the Bobcat with concrete breaker . Then my buddy Ryan  who ended up being the Excavator operator and then became a LEMON DEMOLITION  CRX driver .

We did the curse for all of 08-2010 then I was transporting Equipment to Track and then no votes for the Curse.

So it was retired . I miss the Curse it really did change the way people drove.

But all sorts of the original stuff has retired for years ago.

I really liked the Contact Spikes that mounted to front of car with spikes an inch from your radiator. So driver didn't contact anyone or damage to radiator.

There used to be a tape player mounted in car playing polka music with volume stuck on high. 

Auto Alarm mounted with siren go off  .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Morrow really hated that Bradley.  NJMP, April 2010. 

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5069/5613703189_16a1709672_b.jpg
IMG_3828 by dougkirchberg, on Flickr

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

21 (edited by ninjacoco 2013-12-02 01:15 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

It was the People's Curse at Nelson Ledges that made us decide that the idea no longer worked (here's Jay pouring "Cash For Clunkers Juice" in the People's Curse winner's engine). A Porsche 944 that looked shiny (but wasn't cheaty) blew its head gasket a couple laps into the race, got the most votes in Curse balloting, got its engine destroyed in spite of not running all day. How many votes? Eight. Also around that time, contending teams were spreading rumors about all the other contending teams on Saturday night, trying to get them Cursed out of the race. On top of that, teams had gone from disposable who-gives-a-shit cars to cars with lots of blood and sweat invested, so the entertainment value of The Curse stopped outweighing the misery inflicted on winners (who, as time went by, were clearly the victims of gossip and/or bad perception instead of their own overaggressive driving).

Once we started doing the 3-hour timeout for the fourth black flag of a race session, there wasn't as much reason to hold the threat of the curse over the crashy/aggro teams, because on-track antics calmed down a lot once we removed the worst few offenders for a few hours at a shot.

YA BASTA! I could've used those parts. mad

Anyone who voted to curse that car, I've got a foot with your balls' names on it.

Racin_G73 wrote:

The Legend lives on from the Chippewa on down, to the peg-leg they call "Gitch-e-gumie", "The Curse" they said never gives up her dead when the rods of November go throwin'.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["