Topic: Paul Walker RIP

Dark days for Fast & Furious fans and supporters of outlaw street racing.

http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Paul-Walker-in-Fast-and-Furious-450x337.jpg

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

Re: Paul Walker RIP

It does suck when anyones life gets cut short.  I never really got into the movies all that much, but loosing a couple of car enthusiasts is never a good thing, and from what I have read it seemed that he actually was a pretty decent guy, that seemed to genuinely give a shit about other people, and not just when the camera's were on.  Thankfully no one else was killed, as it sure appears that they were moving at a pretty good clip.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I certainly can't condone street racing....but...been there. We have all done it....have been stupid....glad nobody else was involved. If I die after doing 145 mph then I died doing what I loved.....going fast. Long as you don't drive thru a schoolbus full of little kids then I'm cool with it. Thank you "Uncle Jay" for providing a safe place for us to all do what we love.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Doesn't appear that they were racing. Also doesn't appear they were going stupid fast. Faster than they should have? yes, but not triple digits. It's looking like there may have been a failure in the power steering as they found hydraulic fluid leading to the crash. That stuff burns really well.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

The latest I read was that the car was at a shop being checked out for stalling issues.  Paul was visiting a buddy's shop and just hopped in to help troubleshoot on a test drive.  They were on the way back to the shop when the accident happened.

http://nypost.com/2013/12/02/mechanical … sh-report/

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

6 (edited by davisriley 2013-12-03 06:19 PM)

As someone who has actually driven a few Carrera GT's, they are a pretty tough car to drive.  It's one of those cars that you really have to be thinking quite a few steps ahead of what you are doing.  I had one come around on me once when I hit a small patch of sand, and it was, well, sphincter clenching to say the least.  Of course it may have had a lot to do with the fact that it was someone else's $450000 car, but there was no hooning involved.  Going about 40 or so crossing across a couple lanes of travel.  I caught it, and no harm, no foul, but still.  Never driven another car other than formula cars that had that kind of reactions to things.  Incredible car, and still the #1 car I would get post lottery, but a car you have to respect. 

As far as the stalling issue, I wonder if it had a lot to do with the fact that that engine has almost no rotational inertia. I remember we had a tsb on those that not only reprogrammed the ecu, but had a handout to give to the customers on how to get them moving from a stop.  It was amazing, you shut it off, and there was no after run.  It would stop dead the second the key was turned off.  And with no load it would rev faster than almost anything I have ever heard, it was incredible.  It also has the ability to make any tunnel or underpass an almost orgasmic experience, it sounded so good.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!