Topic: Thinking About Jumping In

Hello, My name is Jon and I am a avid follower of Jalopnik.com and the Lemons racing. I am a Junior in college and quite a large gear head. I am currently interested in joining the Lemons way of life. I currently have a project Dodge D150 I am considering building for the Angleton Texas Race. I am aware of the "The vehicle's original, manufacturer-stated curb weight may not exceed 4200 pounds" rule but I will be writing the event coordinators for a waiver. The vehicle is majority stock except for the motor, I have all the paperwork for the items purchased and it is well within the limit. I would like everyones input on this endeavor. Current plans include lowering to increase handling, weight shedding to increase speed, and a lot of watching Top Gear to learn how to drive. Thanks in advance guys!

Re: Thinking About Jumping In

These heavy cars ( trucks ) scare me.
Why not just find a car?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

If we can find one we would gladly build one! Whatever I find I already have the motor started, got a 350 block with 2.02 heads and a decent cam for 50 from an old guy down the street. Just gotta find something to put it in.

Top gear is not a place to learn to drive, quite the opposite.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

Top gear is not a place to learn to drive, quite the opposite.

The Stig is my hero though!

Don't say Stig - Judge Judy may penalize you!!

Jon,

Make sure you get a waiver for you truck.  Angleton being MSR Houston has become a pretty large and popular event. 

A 1/2 ton full size truck is going to be a yacht on the track.  Aside for being a potential rolling chicane, it could be a freakin' blind spot.

Jay and Nick seem into weird stuff so you may get a waiver.  I have never seem a full size truck if a Lemons race.  They may have been there and I missed them but they are rear.  Nelson Ledges did have the chopped van.  There have been a fair amount of small/mid-sized trucks.

Aside from waivers and all, the reality is the $500 car is one of the cheapest parts of the race.  So I wouldn't hesitate to look for a more interesting/competitive platform.

Welcome to Lemons.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I am going to start looking around for another platform! I've got a few leads, I actually sent off my Mazda 929 to the junk man a few weeks ago due to overcrowding in my yard. Such a bad decision, but I will be looking for something more interesting! I actually know a guy that has a Minivan and a guy who has a Powerstroke V8, I will be keeping everyone updated!

trekkor wrote:

+1

I too didn't like the chopped van at Nelson Ledges. I had absolutely no idea what was happening in front of it when I was behind it. Taking a 4000+ lb vehicle broadside into the drivers door would suck, and our car isn't even particularly light.

There are so many great cars to bring to a Lemons race, I'd like to see more restraint in vehicles that pose a danger to other drivers. I also fear open skeleton cars and open top cars, but they are a danger only to themselves.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Godly-pk wrote:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I am going to start looking around for another platform! I've got a few leads, I actually sent off my Mazda 929 to the junk man a few weeks ago due to overcrowding in my yard. Such a bad decision, but I will be looking for something more interesting! I actually know a guy that has a Minivan and a guy who has a Powerstroke V8, I will be keeping everyone updated!

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1483383067.html

Please buy this before I do. I really don't need another car.

There was a full sized Chevy pickup at Goin for Broken. I thought it was going to be easy pickings until it blew my doors off. If that wasn't bad enough, it salted my wounds by blowing by repeatedly.

I don't see a Dodge pickup as any worse than the army of (4000+lbs stock) Crown Victorias out there. heck, everything but VW rabbits scare us.

Ok, even the Rabbits scare us. (Hi Olong!)

You can get a pickup just as light and low as a stripped P-71. I say BRING IT!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

EvergreenDan wrote:
trekkor wrote:

+1

I too didn't like the chopped van at Nelson Ledges. I had absolutely no idea what was happening in front of it when I was behind it.

You were behind the "Snoopy van" Ha Ha Ha Ha. Why didn't you just pass it?

It Ain't My Fault

Who exactly should I email to get a waiver? I got the truck cleaned out, I just need to find a motor for it? Anyone got any suggestions?  I would love a 440 but they are hard to find. I think I got a lead on a 12v Cummins I am going to check on!

Jay, Have your theme worked out already and tell him about it

It Ain't My Fault

15 (edited by Godly-pk 2009-12-02 04:03 PM)

Well, seeing we are from a small town and love loud trucks and going fast I naturally assumed we would be farmers. The truck has 100k on the clock and was used to drive to and from my uncles farm from the day it was new until 2006 when he gave it to me. Truck never made it over 45 until the first day I drove it.

Here are the initial plans.

1. Lower the vehicle about 2-3 inches.
2. Go through the whole suspension system, brake system, and structure and replace everything that is needed.
3. Remove every extra piece of the vehicle that is not 100% needed to be allowed.
4. Move gas tank to behind the cab via aluminum race tank that is going to be secured and far away from any exhaust heat or possible contact.
5. Remove the front bench seat and install a racing seat with 5 point harness, roll cage, and fire extinguisher.
6. Install a motor and transmission.
7. Load on trailer.
8. Complete many laps and destroy Civics and Bmws.

16 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-12-02 03:53 PM)

Woodstock wrote:

You were behind the "Snoopy van" Ha Ha Ha Ha. Why didn't you just pass it?

Woodstock, were you driving Snoopy? Where's Pig Pen? I loved the theme. Just not the size. Snoopy was a traveling blind spot.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

destroy Civics and Bmws

Big heavy truck with big heavy motor, poor handling, under braked and driver with demolition derby mentality equals disaster...

Sorry.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

trekkor wrote:

destroy Civics and Bmws

Big heavy truck with big heavy motor, poor handling, under braked and driver with demolition derby mentality equals disaster...

Sorry.

KT

Everything's bigger in Texas....

Just aim for Troy in the Z-car smile

I did not mean that in the way you took it, I take pleasure in passing civics and beemers. I think contact in a race that is avoidable but is not avoided is beyond the good spirit of racing and I look down upon it! I assure you the suspension and breaking will be safe and able to do the job because if it is not, I know these judges who are charged with keeping us safe will not allow it to compete!

Godly-pk wrote:

I know these judges who are charged with keeping us safe will not allow it to compete!

That made me laugh!

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Godly-pk wrote:

8. Complete many laps and destroy Civics and Bmws.

First race? Not gonna happen.

Good luck with it.

I am not going to be one of those kids who comes in and expects to win his first race, but I do plan on doing well. Thanks everyone for the support!

I suggest getting the truck ready early and doing some test days first.
You don't want to spend your entire Lemons weekend in the penalty box and then on the trailer.

What is your expected finished race weight?

KT

24 (edited by Godly-pk 2009-12-02 06:22 PM)

I am not sure as I have yet to strip the truck, but I do plan on cutting the bed and removing as much as I can from it, I also plan on removing everything that is not needed from the truck, spare tire/holder, overweight bumpers, removing the AC, Dash, Bench Seat, Glass on windows, and hopefully this will bring my weight down to 4200-4300 with the new motor (depends on what it is). The original slant 6 was quite heavy so I am hoping with all the weight shedding and whatnot I can get below the original weight!

Also to improve handling I plan on moving the motor back as far as possible!

Keep the slant SIX!!

That's your only hope of actually finishing... And in  legendary fashion!

KT