Re: Thinking About Jumping In

TEST.................TEST........................TEST

Did I mention TEST.........I WISH we had 1 more test day for our Lemons racer...that would have been enough to minimize the majority of our oil leaks....so it only lost 1qt an hour vs the 1.5-2 it was loosing...maybe allowing us to finish?

Since its such a BIG truck...seriously gut it and literally cut out a bunch of unnecessary metal from the body.  Lower it a bunch (think cut the bed to allow it to drop down)  Upgrade the brakes (free) to something substantial and mount WIDE tires.....if it looks like a funky lowrider truck then you should be okay....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The slant six is long gone, we were towing my old daily home when I first got it and was not aware of a leak in the coolant, needless to say the motor was burning red hot and the block is twisted and warped to hell. I do plan on cutting a ton of weight, but expect to gain it all back with my motor selection, found a 455 for sale but unknown condition, if all else fails I have a SBC 350 block and 2.02 Heads laying around I can bundle together for a good 400 hp. Anyone in the Houston area that has a old big mopar motor laying around hit me up!

Godly-pk wrote:

I assure you the suspension and breaking will be safe and able to do the job because if it is not, I know these judges who are charged with keeping us safe will not allow it to compete!

I'm sure you'll experience breaking alright.

Suspension and Brakes are your problem more than the Tech Inspectors.

The Judges will happily inspect the lowered suspension on your free, been in the family it's whole life, Chevy powered Mopar.

While I'd prefer a Chevy V8 over a Mopar, Chevys don;t have a great track record in Lemons.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Remember all the power in the world is useless if you can't get it to the ground.

With pickups natural light back end you will be front heavy as it is, a big heavy motor will only make it worse, and if you don't get a real good setup you won't ever be able to use much of it on the track.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Mount it mid engine...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Make a phony Daytona Prototype body.

Instant Hero!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

Is there any rule that says you cannot alter the lenght / wheelbase of your vehicle?

For the most part, you make the rules...

KT

...But don't take my word for it!

KT

I should hope that putting a fucking 350 in place of a /6  would bring the wrath of the Judges (not to mention the undead ghost of Lee Iacocca) to the tune of hundreds of BS laps.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

With a 4000# plus truck/car, he'll have enough trouble just staying on track through the first hard braking zone after the green flag.

KT

The penalty box will be a frenzy of activity....

KT

38 (edited by TeamPettyCash 2009-12-03 02:20 AM)

Yeah...I'd shy away from the full size truck idea.  And yes, this is coming from the guy who raced an SUV at TH.

-Matt

P.S.  Said SUV was >3000 lbs, unibody and smallish...a far cry from a long bed truck.  IF you run it, you HAVE to rock the slant six.

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

If I can find another slant six, I will run it, plus a turbo or 2.

EvergreenDan wrote:
trekkor wrote:

These heavy cars ( trucks ) scare me.

+1

I too didn't like the chopped van at Nelson Ledges. I had absolutely no idea what was happening in front of it when I was behind it. Taking a 4000+ lb vehicle broadside into the drivers door would suck, and our car isn't even particularly light.

There are so many great cars to bring to a Lemons race, I'd like to see more restraint in vehicles that pose a danger to other drivers. I also fear open skeleton cars and open top cars, but they are a danger only to themselves.

+2

Close to a half-a-dozen times at the last MSRH race (using the full course w/ no chicanes) people would be going flat-out through carousel and onto the front straight when they would throw a yellow at the Start/Finish. Inevitably, someone would STAND on his/her brakes, instead of merely slowing down, and would cause a massive line to form. The result was few minor rear-endings.

I soooooo would not want to be in a 914/MGB/TR7/OpelGT/etc., etc., in front of that truck under those circumstances.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

EvergreenDan wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

You were behind the "Snoopy van" Ha Ha Ha Ha. Why didn't you just pass it?

Woodstock, were you driving Snoopy? Where's Pig Pen? I loved the theme. Just not the size. Snoopy was a traveling blind spot.

Yes I did drive, I was the one out in the rain on Friday when test & tune started. Had a blast. Unfortunately, after Pigpen drove the last lap of test & tune, he spun a bearing and locked up the motor. After receiving my full frontal lobotomy, I decided to change the crankshaft. After being severely sleep deprived, I tried to drive about 3:30 a.m., and almost made a pigpen in my pants. Logic took over, not wanting to kill or maim anyone including myself, I quickly exited the track after 3 laps. I did however get behind the wheel again, sometime around 10 o'clock Sunday. Still being sleep deprived, there wasn't as much glare for my 40 something eyes. I rode the white line and watched everyone else race. Had a blast. I apologize for myself or any of my team members if we caused you any unsafe conditions, both on or off the track, we will be participating in at least one event for the 2010 season with the Snoopy Van.

It Ain't My Fault

WTH? I drove a Fiero at Reno and we had a full size Chevy pickup (well sorted) and of course, the Battlestar Galactica-sized Size Matters Fury....you just have to watch your mirrors....BTW both those  behemoths seemed to brake and turn as well as some of the small British stuff...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

ronman wrote:

I should hope that putting a f@#$ing 350 in place of a /6  would bring the wrath of the Judges (not to mention the undead ghost of Lee Iacocca) to the tune of hundreds of BS laps.

Dont worry the 350 will blow up

It Ain't My Fault

Woodstock wrote:
ronman wrote:

I should hope that putting a f@#$ing 350 in place of a /6  would bring the wrath of the Judges (not to mention the undead ghost of Lee Iacocca) to the tune of hundreds of BS laps.

Dont worry the 350 will blow up

Oh I'm well aware of that, it's just that the sheer audacity and gut-wrenching lack of creativity involved in even THINKING about putting the damn thing in place of a Mopar plant deserves quick and severe punishment...

45 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-12-03 02:42 PM)

jimeditorial wrote:

WTH? ....you just have to watch your mirrors....

Mirrors to see what's in front of the car you're about to pass? I think you may be driving in reverse.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

ronman wrote:

The sheer audacity and gut-wrenching lack of creativity involved in even THINKING about putting the damn thing in place of a Mopar plant deserves quick and severe punishment...

And not just any Mopar plant... the legendary Slant Six.  The unkillable Leaning Tower of Power.  I say keep the six, split the exhaust and add a two-barrel to it (maybe a reground cam if the budget allows it) and have fun.  No, it won't be terribly fast, but a slow Slant Six will complete more laps than a blown-up 350.  Plus, you'll be running a slant six, which will make you a LeMon Legend.

EvergreenDan wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

WTH? ....you just have to watch your mirrors....

Mirrors to see what's in front of the car you're about to pass? I think you may be driving in reverse.

If it's in front of me I can control the outcome....pass when you have room...the Big Three tank behind me is the problem....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Thanks guys!!!

So does anyone in South Texas happen to know / have a slant 6? If I am going to run one I need to get started on the engine modifications!

I have two of them, but I'm in central Florida.