Re: Why the 190 Treadwear Requirement?

Troy wrote:

(many paragraphs of Troy Tirade™) So it's about as factually based as BS Laps. (more gibberish)

OK, Troy, we're going to go totally objective with your team's BS Inspection. No Zero For Zs policy for you! I want to see a value sheet for every part on your car! Every snap ring, roll pin, electrical connector, the paint on the tachometer needle, the works. You want factual basis, we'll deliver!

FreeRange wrote:
the head wrote:
trekkor wrote:

I have some ideas on how to make $50 flares.

KT

Let me know I will attempt almost anything...

You can make anything with HVAC ducting and a rivet gun... just saying

That is how we will be building our NSX-R/Exeige style ducting for our oil cooler

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

MurileeMartin wrote:
Troy wrote:

(many paragraphs of Troy Tirade™) So it's about as factually based as BS Laps. (more gibberish)

OK, Troy, we're going to go totally objective with your team's BS Inspection. No Zero For Zs policy for you! I want to see a value sheet for every part on your car! Every snap ring, roll pin, electrical connector, the paint on the tachometer needle, the works. You want factual basis, we'll deliver!

Your Honor, that RB was there the last race.  Well, you accept my residual now?

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

To you guys with the Hankook RS-2, especially the 225/45r15s, they are discontinued.  I have not been able to find any remaining tires so far and the RS-3 is a 140 and not legal.  Those are also one of the few tires that offered a 200ish tread wear 225 for 15s.

Cry me a river here.  The tires that you like got discontinued and now you want "more options."  The organizers should not have to open a can of worms because you can't find a 190 treadwear tire that you like.  Bump up to a 225/50/15 and there are a few tires to choose from.  Or go to a 205/50/15 and there are 11 different tires to choose from.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We ran on 400 treadwear tires and did just fine.  I don't think it was the tires that slowed us down, it was crappy driving, black flags, and a GM electrical failure.  Put good tires on the rims, good drivers in the seat, and you will do just fine.  Race tires are NOT needed to win Lemons.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

RobL wrote:

...there are a few tires to choose from.

Rob -- Whatcha running on your cars, if I may ask?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Star Specs.  I'm trying to convince the rest of my team to try the 295/50/15 Radial T/As.  With ~10" of more rubber on the ground, they have to be faster - right?

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

I don't think problem is a treadwear issue. Sure soft sticky rubber does grip better than, "4 for $99 tires". But what helps keep the tread in contact with the road? Talkin tires here, not suspension, chassis, blah, blah ,blah. Are you smarter than a 5th grader? I ain't. So here goes. SIDEWALL STIFFNESS. That's my final answer.

I drive a Taurus, what do I know????????? My grandMa likes it.

sergio wrote:

I drive a Taurus, what do I know????????? My grandMa likes it.

Sergio, you must know something cause you have one of the most reliable SHOs in our part of the country.

RobL, what size Star Specs are you running?  Their only 15" size is 195/55r15.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

295/50/15 Radial T/As.

I might do this...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Troy wrote:

RobL, what size Star Specs are you running?  Their only 15" size is 195/55r15.

Yep.

RobL wrote:

Star Specs.  I'm trying to convince the rest of my team to try the 295/50/15 Radial T/As.  With ~10" of more rubber on the ground, they have to be faster - right?

LOL.  those friggin things are 26.6" tall.  the 195/55/15s are 23.4" tall.

you is loco, mang.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

may I suggest the Sumitomo HTR Z II?

I have them on my daily driver Mustang GT. I've autocrossed them for two seasons and they still have plenty of tread. As far as grip goes, on the faster autocross courses I can post better times than stock Miatas - which is no little feat, but I'd try and find something a little stickier.

We too are saddened by the RS2 departure.  Our problem?  Finding a good tire in 14s.  We have all the RS2s we need for the first race in the coROLLa in 2010, but we will be hunting for replacements the next tmie we run it.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to stay in the 200 treadware range if possible.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

We run the Falken RT-615 in a 195/60R14 and they are very good.  I like the RS-2 better, but the Falken is a good tire too.  We couldn't find anything else as good in a 14"

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Falken Azenis 195-60-14 here, ran one set the ENTIRE race.  Got to love light cars.

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

EriktheAwful wrote:

I have them on my daily driver Mustang GT. I've autocrossed them for two seasons and they still have plenty of tread. As far as grip goes, on the faster autocross courses I can post better times than stock Miatas - which is no little feat, but I'd try and find something a little stickier.

i have them on my RX-8 b/c they came on the car.  meh.

they will be going in the trash soon in favor of winter tires and will be replaced next spring by Star Specs.

12+-time loser

68 (edited by YesIFit 2009-12-04 12:32 PM)

Buzz Killington wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

they will be going in the trash soon in favor of winter tires and will be replaced next spring by Star Specs.

Yeah, these aren't the BEST tires out there, but, I was mentioning them for people who are looking for inexpensive alternatives if they are running a larger diameter, like a 16 or 17". (The original post mentioned that the people I know who use them are impressed with the performance, given their price.)  You can get the Sumis in a 215/45/17 for $66 a tire, about half as much as the Star Specs' $127.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I like their price and their durability. I have two seasons of autocrossing and 16,000 miles on them. Replacement tires will be about $500 all around, and that's for two 275s and two 295s on 18" rims. As far as handling goes they're not too bad. I really have to try to spin the tires. http://www.youtube.com/user/filmsoncars … a_WR1sAxr8

How about 50 bonus laps for any team that uses house brand tires purchased from Walmart/Sam's Club/Discount or any tire that retails for 30 bucks each or less....you could be the first team in the history of motorsports to win on Douglas tires...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I just received my Azenis  today and they're much wider than the 205 50 15's  that are on our car now. SWEET!

Rumrunners raced the first raced at MRSH October 2008 on Douglas Xtracs.  Same crap tires I had on my trailer.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

YesIFit wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

Yeah, these aren't the BEST tires out there, but, I was mentioning them for people who are looking for inexpensive alternatives if they are running a larger diameter, like a 16 or 17". (The original post mentioned that the people I know who use them are impressed with the performance, given their price.)  You can get the Sumis in a 215/45/17 for $66 a tire, about half as much as the Star Specs' $127.

true, true.  there is an HTRZ III out as well.  dunno about the price on those.

12+-time loser

We ran CMP with RT615's on a 1986 T Bird. While we had plenty of issues, tires were not one of them. Not a single driver complained about them. I'm used to sticky DOT race rubber on AX and hillclimb cars, approached the 615's with trepidation and was pleasantly surprised. Heck, when we checked the car over after locking the motor up, we discovered that the front tires were BLUE! yikes along the outer edges of the tread. When the rubber turns blue, the tire has been HOT.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

We brought 6 Falkens to the race.

We should get one more race out of the set.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports