Topic: anyone camping at Feb. CMP race?

I'm not.  Too cold for me.  It's a bummer because for me, camping is a big part of Lemons.  If you could have a fire, it would be different, but I think CMP frowns on that. 

I wonder if I don't pay the $50 camping fee, will we be able to work on the car late at night?

Re: anyone camping at Feb. CMP race?

it's south cackalacky.  it's not that cold.

watkins glen or gingerman in feburary?  cold.  CMP?  lukewarm.  cowboy up!

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I'm planning on 'camping' - probably in the truck.

Scott B
KnoxVegas Leftovers
BetterOffRacing.com

Buzz Killington wrote:

it's south cackalacky.  it's not that cold.

watkins glen or gingerman in feburary?  cold.  CMP?  lukewarm.  cowboy up!

That depends on where you are from/used to.  If you are from Florida, then CMP will likely be damn cold in February.  If you are from Michigan, then CMP will be like summer.

For me (I'm in/from NC) anything less than 50F is cold.  I'll take cold over wet anyday though.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

The average low in February is 32 degrees F.  F as in F that.  32 is called freezing for a reason.

dude, we gotta camp

If I camp, I will whine.  It's against the rules.  I'll bring you some tea and a bagel from the continental breakfast.

Below 45* = no camping for Disney. I don't have the stuff to be able to camp at temps that low and for what all it would cost I could be cozy at the Holiday Inn.

If the average is 32*, then there's about a snowballs chance in Florida that it will be warm enough to camp.

As for working on the car, I think they would OK with that so long as you don't set up 3-4 tents as part of the engine rebuild.

The average low is 30*.  The wife and I are booking a room.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I agree with all the negatives!  If it is cold, I am not camping.  I still live in SC because of the temperate climate.  Yes it is colder in the frozen tundra above the Mason/Dixon Line.  Guess what? You can live there, not me...

I regret not camping last fall, but I do have my limitations.

(The wife still says that whether or not I camp, I am still paying for her hotel room.  Something about hot water, cable TV, and the Continental breakfast.......)

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Police Brutality will be "camping" in the motorhome, as usual.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

12 (edited by Bonedriver 2009-12-03 02:54 AM)

:shudder:

all of us crammed up together for warmth...

:shudder:

Oh and expect frost... trust me on this...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

We're camping(first Lemons race ever) in a tow behind. No fires? WTF? Even in a 50 gal.drum? GRRRRRRR!

Camping is really the thing to do at Lemons races, but I can understand not wanting to freeze to death. If CMP had a better campfire policy (if only for this race) that would be nice. I think contained fires should be allowed (barrels, firepits,as long as it isn't on the ground- it's good, etc).

Here is another question.  What about the "nothing but water in the cooling system" rule?  If the week of the event has sub-freezing temps (especially the night before) that could be an issue.  Sure you can try to drain the system and the re-fill it the day of the race, but that won't be easy.  Thoughts?

Captain

An engine block isn't going to freeze at 25 degrees. And if it gets colder than that, just stick a 500W halogen floodlight under the hood; my dad did that all the time growing up with un-antifreezed vehicles and exposed pipes.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

VKZ24 wrote:

Here is another question.  What about the "nothing but water in the cooling system" rule?  If the week of the event has sub-freezing temps (especially the night before) that could be an issue.  Sure you can try to drain the system and the re-fill it the day of the race, but that won't be easy.  Thoughts?

i have it from a reliable source VK that it is possible to freeze the water in the radiator over the course of an endurance race.  think wind-chill.............

near freezing temperatures at 55 mph for an extended time period.  bring some cardboard just in case.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

I don't buy it.  Flowing water that is being heated by the engine is not going to freeze mid-race.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

19 (edited by OlCreFoo 2009-12-03 03:07 PM)

I can't imagine freezing an engine block mid race, but save the cardboard for an extra hobo blanket and use duct tape on the radiator.  It's a Lemons race, that should be solution #1! 
Just haul the first heap that catches fire off to the camp area for the night.  It's not a campfire, it's just a crap can going out in extra style

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Jeff G 78 wrote:

I don't buy it.  Flowing water that is being heated by the engine is not going to freeze mid-race.

not about to argue with you Ole Hoss, but what if by chance the channels in your radiator slowly constricted as they were filled with really chilled water.  eventually the cold soak would take over and if i understand this correctly the fins would start iceing over. 

sooner, rather than later; the ability of your radiator to flow enough water to cool your block would decrease.  exponentially i would almost guess.  pop goes another head gasket.

but what do i really know, it might be in the low 60's that weekend.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

If you're worried about freezing, then cover your radiator.  I'll wave while I'm blowing by your overheated car.

Hey, where are you guys all staying?  I don't care how nasty the hotel is as long as it has heat and hot water and is close to the track.

bob-e wrote:

If you're worried about freezing, then cover your radiator.  I'll wave while I'm blowing by your overheated car.

Hey, where are you guys all staying?  I don't care how nasty the hotel is as long as it has heat and hot water and is close to the track.

We are staying at the Colony Inn in Camden, SC.  BTW, what kind of car are you driving bob-e?

Captain

23 (edited by cpmskinny 2009-12-04 06:23 AM)

A car freezing mid-race?  What are you guys talking about?  The water that is cooling the internal cylinders of your engine is exposed to 500+ deg F heat.  Nowhere near 32 degrees.  This isn't the frozen Tundra here, it's just SC.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

Camping here.  In the garage, that count?  There is electric and there will be heaters in my tent.

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

VKZ24 wrote:
bob-e wrote:

We are staying at the Colony Inn in Camden, SC.  BTW, what kind of car are you driving bob-e?

How far is Camden?  I saw that hotel on the list.  Might have to stay there too.

We're driving the Titlemax Sentra.  http://lemonsentra.blogspot.com/  It has a bit of body roll.  Should be interesting.