1 (edited by ifb_mole 2009-12-03 10:56 AM)

Topic: Our total cost for first Lemons race

We did a complete accounting for our first race, which should drop dramatically for any future races.

Now one of our goals was to really try and do this a cheaply as possible with no compromise in safety, or course.  We did use the services of a great Lemons cage builder but other than that "subbed - out" work, we did all the rest ourselves or volunteers.

One area we did not skimp on (because posts on here and team mates) was tires.  I wanted to buy just ONE (for the RF, at Thunderhill gets worked over hard) and the rest just good used ones.  In the end we got 4 new shaved Hancooks that were just over $425 shipped for 245/45/17's.  For brakes all we did was new pads and turned the rotors. 

The car came with some nice 350Z rims but we found another set of wheels - some scuffed up ones - on Craigslist for $100, that were wider, lighter and a better offset.  Gotta love Craigslist.  So we had mounted primary tires and another set of really good used practice / rain tires

Including the entry, test day, transponder, all the gas, even the Saturday Night team meal, I mean EVERYTHING, came to $4,300. Excluding the actual hours by the cage builder we ourselves as the team and volunteers had a grand total of about 50 man hours into the car.  most of that was stripping, de-scuzzifying it and fixing the front end damage

I have heard of teams doing it for $3K or less and some at over $6K.  One team told me that they had over 400 man hours in the project over a 7 month period!!.

Based on people I have talked to, $4,300 "is about average" to build, race and support their first Lemons car/race.  Costs do add up, but for $4K and 50 man hours, it is great. 

For then next race (provided we get accepted) we will need only 2 more tires.  The car seems to be OK but we have not done a thorough inspection on the lift yet.  There is some body damage but not so much that a good hammer, racers tape and screws can't fix.  Brake pads hardly looked used (Hawk DTC-60, I highly recommend them) The rotors do look worn, but I think they are still fine, but since OEM rotors are cheap, we'll probably get some new rotors.

It looks like our cost for race #2 will less than half of race #1 and half of the projected cost is the enry fee for the team.  It does seem that once you build a decent and reliable Lemons car, the racing really is huge bang for the buck, HUGE

Re: Our total cost for first Lemons race

For what it's worth, we spent $1800 at thunderhill.  That included diesel to get to the track (~1000 miles round trip), camping fees, car fees, driver fees, engine oil, new brake pads, fuel, food at the track etc. etc.

From doorstep to doorstep.  Ended up being about $450 / driver.  This was our 5th race

ifb_mole wrote:

For then next race (provided we get accepted)

LOL. You made a funny.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry,

Glad I can give ya a chuckle, hay stranger things have happened......

ifb_mole wrote:

Excluding the actual hours by the cage builder we ourselves as the team and volunteers had a grand total of about 50 man hours into the car.

Wow.  I can't make a close guestimate on all the hours we spent, but I'm sure it was more than triple that figure.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
ifb_mole wrote:

Excluding the actual hours by the cage builder we ourselves as the team and volunteers had a grand total of about 50 man hours into the car.

Wow.  I can't make a close guestimate on all the hours we spent, but I'm sure it was more than triple that figure.

I'd guess we put over 500 man hours into ours not counting the cage builder's time.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
ifb_mole wrote:

I'd guess we put over 500 man hours into ours not counting the cage builder's time.

We probably put 300-400 in the build, and at least 80 per race

ifb_mole wrote:

We did a complete accounting for our first race, which should drop dramatically for any future races.

That's what I keep telling myself. Not quite working out the way I saw it in my head.

FreeRange wrote:

From doorstep to doorstep.  Ended up being about $450 / driver.  This was our 5th race.

DAAANG! I'm doing it all wrong.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
ifb_mole wrote:

That's what I keep telling myself. Not quite working out the way I saw it in my head.

FreeRange wrote:

From doorstep to doorstep.  Ended up being about $450 / driver.  This was our 5th race.

DAAANG! I'm doing it all wrong.

I guess that means you owe us about $225 Pete wink j/k

I'll get your laptimes to you when I can figure out the mylaps issue I'm having

10 (edited by Troy 2009-12-03 12:19 PM)

I spend more the 80 hours just between races.

Turning an old crapped out 40ish year old POS into a race car takes absurd amounts of time.

Now I am looking at a 5 lug conversion I want to do myself.  That's gonna take a while.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Car- free
fuel- $400 testing, race and transport
tires- $700
fees- $1200
brakes- $300
cage- $450
paint- $100 ( including pin striping and masking supplies )
Safety- free. Seat, belts, padding, fire bottles
power cut-off switch- $30
vinyl- free ( sponsored )

$3180 here.

Doesn't include food or accommodations for drivers or crew/helpers.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I never added it all up.  Should be less next tme, but no matter, was well worth it.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

FreeRange wrote:

For what it's worth, we spent $1800 at thunderhill.  That included diesel to get to the track (~1000 miles round trip), camping fees, car fees, driver fees, engine oil, new brake pads, fuel, food at the track etc. etc.

From doorstep to doorstep.  Ended up being about $450 / driver.  This was our 5th race

Our race cost went up cuz we fed most of the Freerange guys on Friday and Saturday.

(you guys rock)

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

The 928 estate ended up at $3900....but the next race should be much cheaper since the tires and brakes will last another race easy....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Our costs have been a bit higher.

CMP Summer '08:    $5,688     '87 Merkur - included cage install
CMP Spring '09:       $6,408     '88 Civic - included cage install and giant fan driven by CB750 motor
CMP Fall '09:            $5,946    '88 Civic - included airplane wing and leather helmets
CMP Winter '10         $4,000    '88 Civic - $4k budgeted - same theme

In addition to the car prep, entry fees, one track day, and supplies, we're including the costs for our theme (costumes, paint, etc), food and gas to and from and at the track.  The Civic did well at the last race (44th) so we're not making too many changes.  We're also keeping the same theme, which can be a budget killer if you let it get out of hand.  And lets face it, LeMon's racers arn't the kind of guys that keep things low key.

At some point we'll probably have the per race cost down to under $3k if the car needs no work and we keep the theme.  Kudos to freerange for getting it done under $2k.  I can't imagine getting it done for that, but I guess you guys had a working car and tires good enough to run.  We spend ~$1300 on fees, ~$300 on gas and ~$250 on food.  That already adds up to more than your budget.  I guess we eat too much.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

16 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-12-04 08:10 AM)

craznoe wrote:
FreeRange wrote:

Our race cost went up cuz we fed most of the Freerange guys on Friday and Saturday.

(you guys rock)

No wonder Free Range costs were so low, they got freebie's from other teams.
I can't say that's bad, they gave us a set of rear brake pads that save our asses on the second day. Cost us some local brew but damn well worth it.

Our total costs for Thunderhill were a little over $3000.00 for 5 driver team. That included rooms for 4 nights at the wonderful Days Inn, with that awesome complimentary breakfast Buffet! ( If you like coffee and Bagels) and a bunch of local beer for bribes at the track.

Race # 3

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Our build was well over 5K but we had to buy everything!  Nobody on our team had ever been in a race car on a track before.  ZERO ROAD RACE EXPERIENCE, and it showed.  So we needed all safety equipment and some of the build was a expensive learning process. 

Than there was the beer and food budget for the weekend of $1000, no complaints there.

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

The Pit Crew Revenge 88 civic original build was

car   $400
clutch $100
Cage tubing $300 (I build cages so no cost there )
Seat $100
harness $20  craigslist
tires $240
entry   $1100
transponder $50
fuel for car $50
track was 10 miles from house so no diesel 
theme $100

$2460

2nd race had to fix suspension and blown motor

donor car $400 used the motor and parts to fix car
tires $300
fuel $60
entry $1100
transponder $50
theme $200

$2110

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

We've spent just North of $30k across 5 races with one car. Not a cheap hobby. RV, race gas, tires, transport all cost a lot.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

It does help if you get all sorts of free stuff from local shops and wrecking yards.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

Our costs (for the MR2) are typically north of $4000 per race.  We include gas at the track and gas to tow the car to the track.  We also typically get one new set of tires per race and at CMP we rent a garage.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
ifb_mole wrote:

Yeah, no shit.  I keep thinking it'll get cheaper/easier but it doesn't seem to happen.  Every race something bad happens and we have to invest countless hours and some more money to make the car run again.  sigh. 

The Craptation was the cheapest build.  Excluding race costs, I put about $2200 into that car.  That included the cage and race seat/harnesses.  And that car lasted 87 pathetic laps.  If we had taken some more time/money to go through the motor, the return probably would have been better.  I think we had less than 60 hours into it.  Of course now we are talking about a motor transplant from a free {stolen} Grand Am, so the hours will start to add up...

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

The 1987 Cavalier Wagon (# 1/2) averages out to $3500-4000 per, the early races had a lot of repair costs, while the later races have been tweaking and building the second car (basically swapping over all of the not-broken parts from the gray wagon and massively rewiring/streamlining the #2 car).

The first car made it 7 races before rolling at T-Hill '08. We could have fixed it, but it was just too thrashed from all those Altamont races.

The red car has now survived 2 races, and showing just how Lemons has evolved, we're actually kinda annoyed that we got rear ended hard enough at T-Hill '09 to slightly wrinkle the lower rear quarter panel, since the car was so stupidly 'granny car' straight at the beginning.
Some mechanical problems to overcome, but we'll be ready for Sears Point.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
2/25/24

I'd like to hear the total cost for the Tunachuckers Volvo Amazon team. Those dudes may win the award for Lowest Overall Team Budget.

My next build is going to hopefully more hours than money !!

ROB,  STEAL ,BEAT, TWEAK AND BORROW EVERYTHING FROM ALL THE PARTS FROM THE other parts cars