Topic: We bought a 300ZX. Opps.

Jay mentioned a few "flaws" in the 300ZX as in "Mostly, the drivelines crap out--a lot of top-end failures, tons of diff failures, lots of weird electronic issues" suggesting we post to the forum to learn more.  We're building a new car for the Firebird event and hope to get a leg up on some of the more typical problems.  Any Z car guys/girls willing to share tips on preparing the Z?  This is a 1987 non-turbo car.

ProRally & WRC junkie, and oil-spewing vintage Alfa racer.

Re: We bought a 300ZX. Opps.

Bring a parts car to the race.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Bring a parts car to the race.

He is, he just plans to race it.

I hope you didn't pay to much, I just bought one for $150 and the body is event pretty straight.  Than I had a guy ask if I'd haul one away for him.  I am going to try and morph some stuff from the 300ZX onto the 240Z to get 5 lug hubs with better tire/wheel clearance.

The 300ZX has done about as well as any other Z and sometimes better.

They are fairly heavy and the power is not that impressive.  Basically, they're sporty looking touring sedans.  I consider the 80's the dark ages for the Z car.  They were more like Eldorados than sports cars in my opinion.  They have way more gadgets than you need.  Some 280ZX had freakin' head light washers.

Enough raging, it has a VG30 which is typically durable.  It's an interference motor though so if you lose the timing belt you are screwed.  If you lose the water pump, it will probably take out the timing belt and your screwed again.

I am not aware of major diff problems.  It has a long nose R200 which is typically good for a V8.  The cv axles are strong but I'd imagine a bad boot could result in a bad joint leading to a rear end type failure.  So if the joints seem good and the boots are starting to look old and cracked, you might want to replace clean and repack the joints and put new boots on.

Make sure all you fluids are good.  I think the diff fluid is kinda hard to check, change and fill.  Maybe they get neglected resulting in other problems.

Get rid of as much crap as you can.  Try to lighten the car as much as possible too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I look forward to driving through your engine smoke at Firebird.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Z = zero for a reason

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Sadly, I predict the first Z to lead the race on Sunday morning, gets crushed on Sunday afternoon ( because of the severity of the blatant cheat )

Even when you win, you lose...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Cheating on a Z will just make it break faster.

8 (edited by EriktheAwful 2009-12-04 08:47 AM)

So if the joints seem good and the boots are starting to look old and cracked, you might want to replace clean and repack the joints and put new boots on.

The rule of thumb, as I learned when I was a Nissan dealership technician, is that if the boot is split, but the CV's not clicking loud, shoot some more lithium grease in there and install a new boot. If it is clicking loud, take it to a CV rebuilder. Yes, you can rebuild it yourself, but I'd only give it a 10/10 guarantee - 10 feet or 10 minutes, whichever comes first.

if you lose the timing belt you are screwed.  If you lose the water pump, it will probably take out the timing belt and your screwed again.

The timing belt is a 4 hour job if you do all the related work and you have an idea what you're doing. Take the cover off and evaluate the situation. There are 5 things to look at.

1) Timing belt. No missing teeth, no teeth peeling away, no fraying, no cracking. The 300ZX belt is plenty strong when it has less than a gazillion miles on it, but if you feel froggy, swap on a set of cam and crank pulleys from a Quest and use the Quest belt - it's beefier.

2) Water pump. There's a weep hole on the underside. If it ain't weepin' you should be okay, but you might take a spare just in case - 'cause it does suffer the curse of the Z.

3) Welsh plug. It's the plug in the coolant passage that's seeping coolant. YOU WILL NEED THE SNAP-ON SOCKET TO GET THE PLUG OUT INTACT. If you can't afford to buy the socket, you might try finding a bolt head that fits snugly in the hole, put some nuts on the bolt, and try to remove it that way, but it takes a buttload of torque to get it loose. Clean all the crud up, put some quality puckey on the threads, and re-install.

4) Tensioner. If the bearing's rumbling, replace it. It it doesn't roll smooth, replace it. The timing belt, water pump, and tensioner all work together or your motor's toast.

5) Cam seals. If they're seeping, I wouldn't worry about it. If they're leaking bad, replace them. Hold the cam sprocket really still, unbolt the sprocket from the cam, and gently tap a screwdriver between the seal and the head so you can pry it out. Yes, you're putting a few mild gouges in the aluminum. You only screw up if you mar the cam or really gouge the seal mounting surface. Use a socket to lightly tap the new cam seal in place - I recommend installing it at a slightly different depth than the old seal just in case the old seal wore a groove on the cam.

When you install the new belt, you want to wiggle it and feel a little "snap" to it. It's really difficult to explain, but it's right on the fine line between being too loose and being too tight.

If you have the budget for it, replace your gear oil with Redline Synthetic. That'll help your tranny and rearend durability.

Also, Nissan had a recall in the late '90s to replace the injector hoses on the VGs. It's about time to do that again. Make sure you get good quality hose - Nissan had to recall them because the VGs kept turning into roaming barbeques.

Good rear shocks are a necessity on IRS cars. I know the Zs tend to jump on upshift if the rears are shot.

Thanks to all for the advise.  Any suggestions on building adjustable camber plates and a good starting point (-1°?) for the setting?  Kyle, I doubt the VG30 will be smoking but if it is you'll likely notice a decrease in the smoke a few seconds after we pass you... lol.

ProRally & WRC junkie, and oil-spewing vintage Alfa racer.

carbonarc wrote:

you'll likely notice a decrease in the smoke a few seconds after we pass you... lol.

...b/c it will likely no longer be running.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

We ran one two years ago that made a crap load of top end noise.  I don't remember the exact mixture we used but it was something like 3 quarts of 20-50 and 1 quart of 90 weight gear lube in the engine.  It sounded terrible when cold but purred nicely when it was hot.  The engine was solid throughout that race.  Driver error ended up being the death of the car.

Something we did encounter was the heater core lines rupturing during the race.  It wasn't a horrible problem but did cost us about 10 minutes sorting out when it happened.  I seem to remember that car going through a lot more tire than our current CRX though.  That could have  been the tires or it could have been us being horrible.

Easiest way to make your automatic Z into a manual.

-Give car to friend who is going to "strip wiring out of it that is not needed"
-Friend removes almost all wiring INCLUDING the automatic transmission control unit (separate from computer)
-Without computer you have no kickdown,lockup,overdrive,shifting control

Without computer the trans will last exactly the length of the Lemons Houston race - 4 hours of downtime.

Cost of friend working on wiring = priceless

13 (edited by Crab Spirits 2010-01-14 07:07 AM)

I have been through my Z31's many times over the 15 years I've owned them and I've even put a VG in a cressida. The engines are really durable as long as you don't boost the hell out of them. I was surprised when I came on here and heard about how they always break in Lemons. Here is what I would do if I campaigned one.

-Cooling system. Spend most of your budget here. New hoses, cap, thermostat. Bypass anything not needed, like the heater core and throttle body. On top of the thermo buried in there, you will see a short 90* formed hose. REPLACE THIS THING. Take the engine driven fan and throw it away. Electric twin radiator fans from a 90 maxima fit, they cost like $25 from the junkyard and are awesome. It should also help out your water pump. Remove everything around the radiator and make sure you can see light through it. There are some coolant drain petcocks on the block. Be sure to flush out any sediment trapped in there.

-The alternator from that 90' maxima is also an upgrade.
-Remove everything you can from the front of the motor.
-Early, automatic turbo models came with an oil cooler. Try to find this setup.
-Mustang 5.0 oil filter is a "free" upgrade.
-Things you will want to inspect to be sure they are in good order:distributor, head temp sensor, MAF sensor. There is a simple test you can do with the ecu to make sure the O2 is performing well.
-Number 1 VG killer:TIMING BELT, Number 2:TIMING BELT TENSIONER.
-Nissan will replace all your fuel injectors, hoses, and sometimes fuel rail/FPR FOR FREE under recall if the car has not had it performed yet.
-Be mindful of fuel leaks under that intake.
-Quest and pathfinder intake plenums are a cheap upgrade, as are KA24 throttle bodies.
-Bypass all the rubber isolators in the rear. Weld the rear subframe and your broken diff mount directly to the chassis.
-Remove the front fenders and triangulate the unibody under there. The car flexes horribly here.
-Make sure you have good wheel bearings.
-Make sure your rear calipers aren't frozen. Z32 brakes are a nice upgrade.

If the car came with the highly sought after black interior, you can probly recoup the cost of the car.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360