Topic: ebay coilovers = penalty laps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-98-24 … 3efa97d445

Anyone tried these?  A lapaphobic member of my team says if we put these on we will be guaranteed penalty laps.  I paid $500 for the car and I've sold $100 in parts so far, but he still insists that these are taboo.  I have to do something.   The car rolls over so much, I'm concerned that our tires will get demolished or we will end up on our roof.  Would these even be better than cutting the springs?  I can't fit struts in the budget, so that's out of the question.

Re: ebay coilovers = penalty laps?

We've seen a lot of these, and they'll get past the BS Inspection if you bring proof.

Oh yeah, when the part is $24.99 and the shipping is $28.99, you must include the shipping price in your budget. We've seen $1 parts with $100 shipping before. Nice try.

these are easy to get for under $50 shipped.... can go look any time.. I have some and have put them on several cars... spring rate can be a crap shoot, but still better than stock softies!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Yeah, I was pretty sure I had to count the shipping.  I'm subtracting the shipping on parts I ship too to make it legit.  So they are better than cut springs I assume?  I figure our shock will be annihilated either way.  Ebay needs to come out with a $50 set of shocks.

My $500 car was bought with old after market springs/shocks and we got BS laps so remember BS laps are not based on anything but the whims of the BS judges so it will be a crap shoot even with the reciepts and shipping bill.

Dude, I watched some tape and that's the fastest maxima i've ever seen. just sayin!

7 (edited by theallpowerfulme 2009-12-04 08:48 PM)

it took 5 posts before "ifb_maxima - sponsored by tein" came into the thread and demonstrated that he doesnt understand the no whining rule. that has to be some sort of record.

Anyway, I'm the team member in question, and if M^2 says the ebay coilovers are cool... then I guess they are. Of course, we all know they are the same as Tein, and we all know that we will definitely win as long as those damn judges dont give us 10 BS laps. I mean, Lemons is absolutely NO fun if you dont win... I would know.

Let me emphasize to my skeptical member....lawl.  I give 2 craps about winning.  If everyone else crashes and we get nickels, we are getting a 12 pack and the rest is going to charity.  I am, however very concerned with tire wear and rollover.  This car is a fwd, 2300 pound monster truck.  [jerry maguire]help me help you[/jerry maguire]

I have some miata coilovers like that, they were $30 shipped.  Course that was a few years ago now, and they came with holy shit stiff springs (400/600?).

What the hell are coilovers?

Armstrong cantilevers FTW!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

11 (edited by ifb_mole 2009-12-05 12:02 AM)

jmitch wrote:

Dude, I watched some tape and that's the fastest maxima i've ever seen. just sayin!

That was only because a very experienced driver was behind the wheel.  The rest of us were no where near his speed. You put a good driver in almost any Lemons car and the word "cheaters" comes from the lips of those that see how fast they can make a car go. Drivers make a HUGE difference.  Also since there never has been a Maxima in a Lemons race before, of course it will be the fastest Maxima you've ever seen. 

Anyway bob-e, just be prepared when you put brand new suspension bits on a car that BS laps may be in the cards, even with paperwork.  It is just part of the Lemons experience.  SOME people like theallpowerfulme don't understand that even though only one can win the race, it is still fun if you don't win, or if you don't finish in the top 20 or 30, it is still fun.  Just follow the rules and let the cards fall where they may and have FUN

We don't give penalty laps based on our whims. We give them from our cruel, black hearts! Suffer, racers! Feel the pain!

We felt that pain...

Is wasn't so bad, really.
A little uncomfortable.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I had a set at the last CMP event; I actually got them used for $10 from someone that upgraded to Ground Controls, but they were a non-issue at the BS inspection. We were almost $100 under budget though, which was good since our radiator blew up during the practice laps and we ended up buying a new one.

They worked ok, but the springs were brutally stiff and tended to cause bounciness with the stock shocks. Another team that I know cut their springs and got excellent results. They lowered it a bit and took out some of the travel, but kept the spring rate commensurate with their shocks.

I talked to one of the judges about the BS laps issue, and it's not really that random. They have a pretty good idea of what it takes to effectively cheat, so if they see that $1500 engine swap that you "bought from some dumb kid for $250", but they see that your brakes and suspension are crap, then they may not get too worked up about it because they know that you're not going to be going that fast anyway.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Driver Schmiver! That Maxima was sure handling on the STRAIGHTS!

16 (edited by ecugrad 2009-12-05 05:09 AM)

Those work but as said above, they will be wayyyyy more than your stock shocks can handle.  Think pogo stick.

Cutting springs is not only effective, it reduces stress and best of all its FREE!!!!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/P1020060.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/P1020062.jpg

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:

Those work but as said above, they will be wayyyyy more than your stock shocks can handle.  Think pogo stick.

Cutting springs is not only effective, it reduces stress and best of all its FREE!!!!

Yeah I'm aware of the pogo stick.  Are the ebay springs that stiff?  We are gonna try to cut the springs today, but I looked at the springs and they have like 5 coils.  I'm afraid if I cut one, we are gonna be on the ground.  We'll see.

18 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-12-05 08:23 AM)

then start with half of one.  you can always cut more off...adding it back is tougher.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

19 (edited by Troy 2009-12-05 10:28 AM)

Regarding Ib-Mole's springs on his Maxima, they run from about $185-200ish on eBay.  I don't care if they're legit or not.

I've always wondered about those cheap eBay coil over kits.

I used some parts out of one of those kits on the 240Z.  We got a smokin' deal on a set of Eibach springs so we did not use the springs.  I have considered those kits for other Lemons projects.  There are a lot of coil over parts on eBay and elsewhere so you may find stuff pretty cheap and even less than a set of Tein springs.

I think if you got a bit motivated, you could modify a stock strut housing to use a stock lower spring perch with a coil over adjuster and have adjustable stock springs.  That way you could cut the spring to get a more desirable rate and still put the height wherever you want it.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

ifb_mole wrote:

My $500 car was bought with old after market springs/shocks and we got BS laps so remember BS laps are not based on anything but the whims of the BS judges so it will be a crap shoot even with the reciepts and shipping bill.

You had a "$500" car with $800 coilovers.

We see a lot of those cheap eBay coilovers, especially on Civics. After we broke out the laptop and looked up the price, we became convinced that the racers weren't lying about the prices (though we never did value the $1 coilovers with $40 shipping at $1).  Not sure how good they are or how long they last (most Civics blow the head gasket and/or throw a rod early on and give the suspension a nice break while the team drives the tow vehicle to the next county to buy parts), but you probably get what you pay for.

22 (edited by ifb_mole 2009-12-05 10:51 AM)

The tone of this thread is much more fun and light for sure. Yes the Maxima had some good grunt down the straight, surprisingly so, but my gawd the corners were the opposite.

Disney, they weren't coilovers, just Tein lowering springs at a stock spring rate. A call to Tein said they're made to lower the car but not change the ride quality. That makes sense cuzz the car pushed  and had a lot of body roll. The shocks did have adjustments but no matter how we adjusted them, even our top gun driver couldn't tell the diff. If we could get free stock OEM shocks I'd take 'em, at least I would KNOW they worked!! LOL

as to cutting springs. The problem can arise that you will have an "over sprung under dampered" car.

MurileeMartin wrote:

We don't give penalty laps based on our whims. We give them from our cruel, black hearts! Suffer, racers! Feel the pain!

I was wondering if that was reason. ;-)

All this whining about BS penalty laps would be meaningless if everyone would just bring real Lemons cars. Volvo 544s! Fiat 128s! Kaiser Henry Js!

MurileeMartin wrote:

All this whining about BS penalty laps would be meaningless if everyone would just bring real Lemons cars. Volvo 544s! Fiat 128s! Kaiser Henry Js!

We try, but all these other boobs keep jamming up the track with their E30s and Civics and other piles...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones