Topic: What DD to buy?

My wife's '00 Accord V6 is quickly nearing Lemons fodder, and having a trim piece fly off while she was driving down the highway has lowered the car's value in her eyes. We have discussed replacing it, but our funds are not significant enough to support buying the new Mercedes she wants. She is willing to take my '06 Mustang GT and let me buy another car. Here's my firm criteria:

1 Fun to drive - autocross capability is a requirement
2 Good gas mileage - preferrably greater than 30mpg
3 Sits five across town or four + luggage for a long trip and can fit my 6'5" son
4 Less than $10,000
5 Manual transmission
6 Cheap and easy to maintain - I already have enough projects and don't need a junk car sucking up my time and money.
7 No black cars - summer in Oklahoma + black car = Easy Bake Oven

I've been thinking of a Honda Fit Sport, but I'm asking if any of you have a better thought. I saw an E46 BMW for $3800, but I think that violates #6.

Re: What DD to buy?

EriktheAwful wrote:

My wife's '00 Accord V6 is quickly nearing Lemons fodder, and having a trim piece fly off while she was driving down the highway has lowered the car's value in her eyes. We have discussed replacing it, but our funds are not significant enough to support buying the new Mercedes she wants. She is willing to take my '06 Mustang GT and let me buy another car. Here's my firm criteria:

1 Fun to drive - autocross capability is a requirement
2 Good gas mileage - preferrably greater than 30mpg
3 Sits five across town or four + luggage for a long trip and can fit my 6'5" son
4 Less than $10,000
5 Manual transmission
6 Cheap and easy to maintain - I already have enough projects and don't need a junk car sucking up my time and money.
7 No black cars - summer in Oklahoma + black car = Easy Bake Oven

I've been thinking of a Honda Fit Sport, but I'm asking if any of you have a better thought. I saw an E46 BMW for $3800, but I think that violates #6.

Wow, that's a tough mix! Really need to autocross? I'd say a used Prius if not... drove one recently for work, and its not bad. Roomy (I'm 6'2) and around 45mpg on the drive I did. We have two Audi A4s. Been well happy with those. I bought mine new in 2002, modded the heck out of it (doubled the HP) and been problem free. My wife's is a 99 with 250k on it - that year takes a bit more maintenance (wheel bearings and control arms) but is only just now starting to use a little oil, and the interior/exterior are in great shape. they don't get great mileage though... The wifes only gets around 28 and my hot rodded one averages 25 getting beat on every day, but will do 40mpg if I hyper mile a bit on the freeway with the tire pressures up to autocross pressures.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I don't know that the Prius is sporty enough, as I've never driven one in a sporty fashion. I do know that my son fits fine in my dad's. Not interested in Audis/VW/Mitsubishis for reason #6. I've seen too many turn into maintenance hogs.

Basic mini cooper. 6"5' no problem. Auto cross hell yeah. 5 occupants. No. 4 yes. 40 mpg. Got an 04 with 70k for 6k last year. Great car.

That is a tough mix.  I had mentally inserted "RWD" but when I realized that wasn't in there it went from almost impossible to just tough.  The Honda Fit Sport isn't a bad choice.  They can be tough to find much under $10k though.

I think if you bought the nicest E46 BMW 330i you could get for $10k it wouldn't be too bad on maintenance.  It's when they're old, tired, and ragged out that they get maintenance hungry.  Just check and replace the cooling system and you should be good.  The 330i gets great gas mileage for the power.  Back seats aren't exactly luxuriously roomy though, check those out with your son around.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

This misses on many levels, but who cares:

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4375640562.html

Manual, autocrossable, awesome.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

VW TDI.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Seller says it's a driver:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/4380909319.html

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

That really is a pretty steep list to achieve. This is close, except for (3), maybe (6)

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/4335298242.html

Mulry wrote:

That really is a pretty steep list to achieve. This is close, except for (3), maybe (6)

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/4335298242.html

drool

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

A Mazda3 or a Lancer would be right in that price point.

Also, H Street. H Street pax is best pax.

I'm gonna break from the mold a bit.

Scion xB.

6'5"?  No problem, because of the upright seating position.

Available with a manual trans, if you hunt long enough.

Maintenance?  Just take it easy with the rear hatch handle and the rest is Toyota reliable.

Mine averaged 32 mpg with the stick.

Autocross?  Well... here you'd have to open up your checkbook a bit.  But I suspect with a stiffer suspension and available supercharger it'd be a lot of fun.

My 2006 fetched $5000 on trade-in during October of 2012.  That was with 97,000 miles.

Apparently it's been done:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/Tiger-T-ouF/62377_10150281812665082_676525081_15033444_1815604_n.jpg

Also, this:
http://image.modified.com/f/features/modp-1205-1990-nissan-300zx-2000-bmw-528i/36667298+w195/modp-1205-27+readers-rides+xb-cover.jpg

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

My wife and I have two growing teenagers, and we provide foster care from time to time, so Mini Cooper S is out. Also, Minis aren't known to be cheap to maintain.

Mazda 3 is a strong contender - my sister likes hers.

I'd look more at the Scion xB, but my wife things they're horrible looking. Plus, every craigslist ad I read touts getting 26mpg. I'm looking for better mileage than the Accord already gets.

Pat, youre killing me. I will avoid a twenty-year old 5-series like the plague, but dang that looks sharp! Fortunately, Kerry doesn't like wagons (she might be a commie in disguise).

EriktheAwful wrote:

My wife's '00 Accord V6 is quickly nearing Lemons fodder, and having a trim piece fly off while she was driving down the highway has lowered the car's value in her eyes.

Nonsense.  They look significantly more badass without all of that aerodynamic garbage on the front. 

http://i60.tinypic.com/2mg5veo.jpg

Is it an automatic?

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Is it an automatic?

Yes. The transmission has had the dreaded hard-shift for over 100,000 miles, so it's only a matter of time.

EriktheAwful wrote:

My wife and I have two growing teenagers, and we provide foster care from time to time, so Mini Cooper S is out. Also, Minis aren't known to be cheap to maintain.

Mazda 3 is a strong contender - my sister likes hers.

I'd look more at the Scion xB, but my wife things they're horrible looking. Plus, every craigslist ad I read touts getting 26mpg. I'm looking for better mileage than the Accord already gets.

Pat, youre killing me. I will avoid a twenty-year old 5-series like the plague, but dang that looks sharp! Fortunately, Kerry doesn't like wagons (she might be a commie in disguise).

I thought you were buying a car for you; why does her hatred of how it looks enter into it?

Oh, right, I'm married too.... I understand. ;-)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Mulry wrote:

This misses on many levels, but who cares:

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4375640562.html

Manual, autocrossable, awesome.

I told my wife I'd be happy to get a station wagon for when the kids start popping out.  This is EXACTLY what I had in mind...  BRB, driving to Denver.

BRB, driving to Denver.

Too f***ing tempting. Luckily I'm vacationing another state further away right now.

Hmm... my credit union has been sending me car loan adverts lately...

19 (edited by Mulry 2014-03-21 11:21 AM)

EriktheAwful wrote:

BRB, driving to Denver.

Too f***ing tempting. Luckily I'm vacationing another state further away right now.

Hmm... my credit union has been sending me car loan adverts lately...

I had an idiot _almost_ hit me on the way back home from dropping one of the kids off at her school this morning. But for my lightning-quick racecardriver reaction skills honed by years of avoiding idiots on the track (or by being one of the idiots on the track, to be fair), the Burb avoided being totalled. But if the idiot would have plowed right into my passenger front quarter they way she was heading, it would probably have wound up as a total.

And I could not have taken the insurance check to Denver fast enough to get that e34 wagon. I can rent a tow vehicle when I need it. That wagon is the bomb.

Besides, it's not really a 20 year old car. The engine only has 40k on it and has been pulled down and put back together, and the suspension is all freshened. The inset trim on the door cards probably sucks (because the inset trim on every door card on every e34 I've ever seen sucks and peels off), and the seats could use re-upholstering.

This really is a win-win.

Finally, a car question where Miata isn't the answer?

2+3 together make this a tough list.  A close miss perhaps would be a G6.  I have an '05 GT (automatic) that I've been very happy with.

1 Fun to drive - I took mine for NASA HPDE and it was fun and performed well on track.  Never autocrossed, might be a little heavy (and long wheelbase) for that.

2 Good gas mileage - highway mileage varies between 26 and 30 depending on conditions. EPA is 18/28 for my model.

3 Sits five across town or four + luggage for a long trip and can fit my 6'5" son.  Luggage for 4 can be hard to fit.  Front seats can be uncomfortable on long trips.  Height is easy - long wheel base means lots of interior room.  I'm 6'2", have long legs for my height (like I was 6'4"), and people can fit behind me in a comfortable driving position.

4 Less than $10,000 - Check out cars.com for sample prices.

5 Manual transmission - Some GT/GTP/GXP models had manuals.

6 Cheap and easy to maintain -  I don't know about easy; I don't do much work myself.  It's not the cheapest to fix, but also not a BMW.  I haven't had to make too many repairs on mine yet (88,000 miles): muffler, strut, rear brake caliper.  Hazy recollection is these things ranged between a few and several hundred $ for parts + labor, but an ept person could do these himself with a typical Lemons toolset.

7 No black cars - lots of color options, although black is popular.

You might also consider Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix, but I don't know how sporty/fun those are.

15x+ Loser, thinks he's a Real Racer(tm)
Rotaries are great, everyone should try them.

21 (edited by jbl 2014-03-21 03:23 PM)

EriktheAwful wrote:

Is it an automatic?

Yes. The transmission has had the dreaded hard-shift for over 100,000 miles, so it's only a matter of time.

We got the Accordia with 145k miles on it, and so far it's done 2 full races, and it only starts slipping on Sunday.  A big ol' transmission cooler helps.  A manual swap helps more I'm told.  At the same time though, I've never rebuilt a transmission before and I mean, how hard can it be?

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

My wife's Accord has a slightly mis-matched drivers door that I swapped on after she was the victim of a hit-and-run in a parking lot a month after we bought the car. The engine often times stalls out when you re-start it. I've replaced the coolant temp sensor three times, and it usually fixes it for a month or so. The pad that attaches the front motor mount to the engine block is missing a bolt, and the bolt is longer than the room I have to get it in - not sure where it went or how. Power steering pump is starting to leak. The struts are dead and I'm not inclined to replace them any time soon. The passenger window needs more help every day. The Honda grille emblem is missing, the driver's door trim fell off on the highway, and the passenger seatback "fell off" (kids hanging on it). The paint is scratched everywhere and the windshield is chipped. The interior light above the mirror fell off, and the screwholes for it are broken.

She's not happy with it. Why would I spend the time and money to rebuild the transmission?

It sounds like you might be looking at a Mazda product?A Protege, Protege Pr5, 3, 5, or 6 may hit those requirements.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

-A mazda 6 waggy or sedan w/ V6/ 6 speed

That's a nice car.

-saab 9 5 waggy or sedan.  9 3 is too small in back for 6'4"

Manual trans was available

-volvo turbo waggy or sedan

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Here you go:

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/4377671347.html

I test drove a new version of this and found it to be wonderful, and almost bought one.  That is until I drove the Focus ST, which is probably the closest thing to a track car I have ever driven off the lot.  The Mazda does make a great product, we have one as our Lemon car and it is pretty robust.

Lou Glutz Motorsports:  Vodden 2012 DNF, Pointless 2013 DNF, Vodden 2013 DNF, ArseFreeze 2013 P-53, Pointless 2014 P-65, Vodden 2014 P-85, Arse-Freeze 2014 P-31 Class A, Pointless 2015 P-105 (brakes) Class A, Vodden 2015 P-75 (Electrical), ArseFreeze 2015 P-41, Pointless 2016 P-53, ArseFreeze P-29