Topic: PATRIOTIC DUTY

HERE WE GO   MY SON IS STATIONED AT FT. CAMPBELL IN KY.   HOME OF THE SCREAMING EAGLES   AIRBORNE
HE AND A COUPLE OF THE SOLDIERS WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 24 HOURS OF Lemons.  SO HE CONTACTED ME ABOUT THE COST AND OTHER INFO.

THE NEXT RACE THAT IS CLOSE TO THEM IS THE ONE IN SOUTH /NORTH CAROLINA
IN FEB.   
FIRST GLITCH IS THAT THEY ARE LOOKING AT DEPLOYMENT SOON.  SO WE DO NOT EVEN KNOW IF THEY WILL BE IN THIS COUNTRY AT THAT TIME.   SECOND GLITCH WOULD BE THAT THE DEADLINE FOR ENTERING THAT RACE HAS PASSED.
THIRD GLITCH.OUR MILITARY PAYS VERY LITTLE. THEY HAVE NOTHING.

SO I'M CALLING ON THE HEAD LEMON AND THE COMMUNITY TO SEE WHAT WE CAN DO TO GET SOME OF DEFENDERS OF THIS COUNTRY INTO THIS RACE   IF THEY ARE HERE.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE IN LEMON LAND.  CAN THEY STILL GET IN?   AND IF SO  HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST OR WOULD THE POWERS THAT BE DONATE ENTRY AND DRIVER FEES TO SOME OF AMERICA'S FINEST.   I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY FOR THERE COMP. LICENSE.

NEXT I WOULD ASK IF THERE WAS ANYBODY IN THE Lemons COMMUNITY NEAR THEM, OR THE TRACK WILLING TO DONATE OR LET THEM BORROW A CAR.  PREFERABLY PREPPED  BUT IF NOT   THEY MAY BE ABLE TO DO THAT.  THEY WOULD ALSO NEED DRIVER GEAR   SO IF ANYBODY HAS ANY EQUIPMENT THEY WERE WILLING TO LET THEM BORROW OR DONATE TO THE ARMY TEAM.

IT'S TIME TO GIVE BACK TO THOSE THAT GIVE SO MUCH SO THAT WE CAN ENJOY OUR FREEDOM.

IF THERE IS ANYBODY OUT THERE WILLING TO HELP    PLEASE POST HERE OR CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL
RODBANE@WILDBLUE.NET

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL THOSE WILLING TO HELP

Re: PATRIOTIC DUTY

they're so broke, they can't even afford lower case letters

eljefe17 wrote:

they're so broke, they can't even afford lower case letters

DICK HEAD

It Ain't My Fault

I PUT OUT A REQUEST FOR HELP CONCERNING ARMY SOLDIERS AND YOU WANT TO REPLY ABOUT MY LACK OF PUNCUATION         YOU FORGOT TO CAPITALIZE.
For you I will explain why.
Due to an accident   I now only have 9 fingers   thus making it difficult to hit the shift key .
IF YOU HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD   YOU MAY WANT TO SAVE YOUR CRITICISM FOR SOMETHING ELSE.   DOBEY

you know, i think defending the country is great and all, but asking for handouts and sympathy for people who VOLUNTEER AND SIGN UP TO GO TO WAR, is becoming really annoying. The guilt trip that we owe soldiers anything other than our respect, is pretty low.

Yikes this is getting rough.  First of all, please thank your son for his service.  Please realize that running a "$500" Lemons race is expensive.  Figure bare minimum $1000 for a car and safety equipment, but a best case scenario would be closer to $1500+ with spare tires and brake pads.  Then the gear is a minimum of $500 for each driver.  You have to have a minimum of 2 sets of gear for fueling.  Entry for 4 drivers is $1200.  Add this to lodging, travel and weekend expenses, you are looking at $5,000 for a "best case scenario".  I think you would be better served to pitch this idea to their COs and maybe they could get a military sponsor.  Or you could ask that they be able to join an established team as a driver.  I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

And to DRC, realize that if it were not for these volunteers, we would have a draft.  I don't think you should get any more respect for going voluntarily than being drafted

ps.  Why don't you give them this car
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=2529

As a matter of fact, we've had quite a few teams with active-duty military guys driving. Maybe one of them has a seat or two available.

bob-e wrote:

And to DRC, realize that if it were not for these volunteers, we would have a draft.  I don't think you should get any more respect for going voluntarily than being drafted

its not about respect, its about whining and telling us all a sob story so that we will give handouts to people as if being in the military were a hardship. Its not a hardship, its a choice. I respect and appreciate that choice, but dont cry about it and ask for free stuff. this is of course just the way i personally feel about it.

and ps. why is this guy asking for a free car if he already has one?

We have had 8 different National Guard guys in 3 races so far.  The good news is defensive driving techniques learned in OEF/OIF situations work pretty well at Lemons.  Lemons is a lot more fun.

This is a tough subject.

Regarding a free admission, you need to direct that to the ring leaders of the Lemons Circus, Jay and Nick.  While you are welcome to discuss this in the forum, it may not be the best place.

I am sure there are quite a few soldiers who would like to participate in Lemons.  Why are these guys more deserving and what do you tell the next group/team?

Saying they have little money because they are in the Military is a poor argument.  Since they are probably between 18-24 with no college education.  Outside of the military, they are not likely have much money either.  In fact, if they were living on their own having to pay rent or a mortgage and feed themselves, they would probably have less money then they do serving our country.

I don't want to sound unpatriotic, I am just pointing out some observations.

Even if you get a free pass on entry fees, that is only a small part of the cost to participate in Lemons. 

The Military does support racing.  The Army sponsors the #39 Stewart-Haas car.  Maybe the Army would like to sponsor a Lemons effort.

Being in the Military would give some guys some good resources.  The military has a lot of maintenance/fabrication facilities which could be used to build a Lemons car.  They have a world wide transportation/distribution system.  They buy all kinds of products from many vendors and may have connections for all the safety gear necessary to equip a car and it's drivers.

Regarding getting into the February race, they should probably try for the May or September event.

Good Luck, thank you for your service.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Wow this thread went down in flames pretty quickly.

If you want to see if they could get in the race it would be best to just contact jay and nick directly, they will decide that. 

I'm assuming that since you have run inthe past you know the costs of these cars and the emotional attachment you can get to them so it might be hard for anyone to give the keys to the car over to some people they never met.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

RWDERD wrote:

I PUT OUT A REQUEST FOR HELP CONCERNING ARMY SOLDIERS AND YOU WANT TO REPLY ABOUT MY LACK OF PUNCUATION         YOU FORGOT TO CAPITALIZE.
For you I will explain why.
Due to an accident   I now only have 9 fingers   thus making it difficult to hit the shift key .
IF YOU HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD   YOU MAY WANT TO SAVE YOUR CRITICISM FOR SOMETHING ELSE.   DOBEY

I have something positive to add.

If you post in CAPS like that, it is seen as shouting.

If, through disability you find the shift key hard to use, there are keyboard shortcuts that will help you. I have no strength and fealing in two fingers and type using six finger and two thumbs in total and I am forced to use my left thumb on the left shift key. You should try it, you may find it annoys folk a lot less.

As for free entries for .mil personal ?

I struggle with that concept, joining up is a choice, as was said, further more the pay is pretty dammed good and the benefits are excellent. or at least they are for my .mil friends that are stationed at Camp Pendleton. Nearly all of them have good cars, motorcycles and decent levels of disposable income.

Now if your request was for a team of disabled veterans that want to run something cool on a super tight budget, I am sure that the reaction would be way more positive.

As others have said - why not join an existing team, pay to play is the name of the game.

Don't you already have a Lemons car that you're selling in the FS section?

alrighty then...apparently your sense of humor was lost with your finger

i'm just gonna back away before i really say anything else

I knew this thread was going to be a train wreck.  Just try and look away.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I applaud and respect all that volunteered, or felt drafted, to enter into discourse in this quagmire of a forum posting.
   Just don't mess with my MediCare.

This, "you know what you signed up for" stuff is kinda buggin' me.  I think we are just gonna have to agree to disagree.  First of all a soldier wasn't asking for a handout, the soldier's mother or father was.  Second, you guys act like being a soldier is just a job and don't whine because your career choice sucks and gets you shot at.  Our soldiers are at war.  Getting shot at and dying.   If anyone is deserving of any special treatment, it's those men and women.  By special treatment I don't mean a $5,000 ticket to Lemons, but getting your fat duff off the couch and attending a welcome home parade instead of watching Oprah get fatter or just saying thank you when you see a soldier.   It's the least you can do for people that put their lives on the line.

Well, I guess that we are going to have to disagree then.

If you join any military service, unless you are severely deluded you surely realize that there is more than a passing chance that at some point in your career you will spend some time in a conflict zone. It is part of the job.

My career choice far from sucks, I chose not to follow my father (sqdrn leader, ret.) into the RAF because I had a choice. My choice was .mil or .civ. I chose the latter.  Had I chosen the former I would have been involved in the same set of conflicts that my father was involved in up until he retired.

I have no issue with dropping cash into a .mil collection box, I donate toys to the Camp Pendleton Toys for Tots collection and yes, I support 'our' troups.

RWDERD wrote:

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL THOSE WILLING TO HELP

Basically, you should be pursuing a sponsorship for your friends to be in the race. Many corporations would love to add a few thousand dollars to the "goodwill" section of their 2009 balance sheets. If, without a sponsorship, your friends cannot afford to race in Lemons... then they probably should not. The cost overruns are usually quite significant, and frankly they shouldn't be "barely making ends meet" and entering a stupid car race. There are other more responsible ways for them to spend their disposable incomes. That said, they can (and should) do whatever the fuck they want with their money.

Also, if they are not in the correct mindset, the emotional rollercoaster associated with a Lemons event may be quite the blow to their self-esteem, especially if they are about to ship-out.

Now to the flammable points associated with what you are trying to do;

You are posting this request on a site full of people who have busted their asses forming a team, planning and building a car, and perhaps gone through the crucible that is Lemons before. These people have accomplished all of the tasks necessary to plan and sign-up for a Lemons race ahead of time, without asking for special arrangements. While your friend's service is commendable, what makes them exceptional? For example, Speedycop and his friends put their lives on the line every day in the interest of public service. They pull over a speeding car without knowing if it is a yuppie on his cellphone or a meth addict about to put a bullet in their head. Does he deserve a special accommodation, maybe, but he isn't on here asking for one. What about Firemen? Border Patrol? IRS agents?

The fact your friends did voluntarily sign-up for their service certainly doesn't take away from the fact that they are putting it all on the line for something that they may or may not understand. It is a very honorable profession, and I'm sure most people wouldn't mind extending them a helping-hand as a gesture of thanks from time to time.

Their only fault in all of this is that they got their friend to post a message in an open forum, in all caps, and expected to be taken seriously. Their friend should have contacted the Lemons staff directly via information gleaned from the site that directed you to the forums (www.24hoursoflemons.com). It also sounds as if this request is a bit premature, since it appears that they (and you) might not understand the extent of preparation it takes to successfully run a Lemons event, and the mindset needed to enjoy said event.

Good Luck, and thanks to your friends for their service.

maxn wrote:

I struggle with that concept, joining up is a choice, as was said, further more the pay is pretty dammed good and the benefits are excellent. or at least they are for my .mil friends that are stationed at Camp Pendleton. Nearly all of them have good cars, motorcycles and decent levels of disposable income.

While I will agree with most of what you said I will dispute this one issue.  As a 12 year veteran of the service the pay is terrible with most of the members of our military service earning well below an acceptable income.  Your friends are either a) single b) officers c) good at managing their money d) in debt up to their eyeballs to pay for it all e) holding down a 2nd job or a combination of the above.

As an E6 I was pulling down about $27,000 a year with a wife and kid to support.  I pumped gas at nights to make ends meet.

The only thing worse than the pay is the benefits.  Free healthcare, well as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.  Its been 10 years since I left the service and to this day I still cant see a dentist without their first question being "how long were you in the service"  The military work is so identifiable because it is so poorly done.  The military is where most docs go to get their education paid for and to "learn" on the GIs.  Once they know what they are doing they are off to private practice.

All that being said I think the better suggestion was made that perhaps these men should look for a team or teams with open seats who can take them on at a reduced cost.  None of us here are rich and fielding a free effort for another team is a hard pill to swallow for anyone.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

How has ifb_mole managed to stay out of this quagmire so far?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

And don't you tink you're asking an awful lot of some people or teams if you're not even sure if they will be here for the freakin race or not?

Maybe nail down your time table a little better, then re-approach this.

And there are 3 races at CMP this year. So getting in this one isn't that critical. If they ship off, maybe they can race when they get back.

24 (edited by RWDERD 2009-12-10 05:48 PM)

OMG   I CAN NOT BELIEVE SOME OF THESE POST

FIRST OFF  FOR DRC   GET A BAR AND PRY YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A$$.   ON EACH ITEM  CAR AND EQUIPMENT I WROTE  "BORROW OR DONATE"  THAT DOES NOT INSINUATE THAT I AM WHINING TO YOU FOR A HAND OUT OR SYMPATHY.    SOME PEOPLE MAY HAVE EXTRA EQUIPMENT THEY DO NOT MIND LENDING OR DONATING TO THIS TEAM.  I WOULD SAY SORRY BUT I AM NOT ONE BIT FOR ANNOYING YOU.   YOU IRRITATE ME.   OH YEAH  THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

YES I HAVE A FULLY PREPPED Lemons CAR    I AM IN CALIFORNIA   .  GEOGRAPHY KIND OF PREVENTS ME FROM GIVING IT TO THEM.   AND IF THERE ARE ANY MILITARY OUT THERE THAT WOULD WANT TO USE THAT CAR TO RACE AT ANY RACE NEAR HERE I WOULD TURN IT OVER TO THEM. 

THIS WAS TO BE A REAL SIMPLE REQUEST FOR HELP ..
I DO ANOTHER FORM OF RACING AND IF SOMEONE NEEDS SOMETHING YOU GO TRAILER TO TRAILER  AND YOU WILL USUALLY GET WHAT YOU NEED FROM YOUR FELLOW RACERS.   NEVER HAVE I OR HAVE I BEEN REDICULED  LIKE SOME OF THESE POST.

SO ONCE AGAIN  I STATE   IF YOU CAN HELP   IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED   IF YOU CAN'T  SO BE IT.

BY THE WAY   I'M SURE JAY AND NICK GET ON HERE FROM TIME TO TIME.  THUS   THIS WOULD BE MY REQUEST TO THEM AS WELL AS TO ANYBODY ELSE.   I DID NOT WANT TO BOTHER THEM DIRECTLY.

25 (edited by EriktheAwful 2009-12-10 05:21 PM)

I can see both sides of this one, but I have to agree with most that you did not handle asking for help well.

My team is comprised of four Air Force Reservists and one Air National Guard. We are full-timers, meaning that during the week we are civilians who keep things running at our unit so that when the 'traditional' reservists & guard come in, we can train them. I get paid pretty well, but when I am on active duty orders my pay and allowances beat my civilian pay. They're barely scraping by? They don't need Lemons, they need Dave Ramsey!

Three of the five members of my team are deploying between now and the race we're attempting to enter. Three of the five of us have families and kids. In the words of my TI, "Suck it up and press on." We WANT to race bad enough that we're suckin' it up.

The next race that's close to them? I've been wanting to do this since the first race was announced! I finally got enough team members together that I can plan on going to a race in June! If they want to do it bad enough and they're serious about it they'll plan ahead for a later race. It's not my patriotic duty, or anyone else's to enact their dreams for them. What are dreams if we don't have to work for them?

having nine fingers is no excuse for poor manners. you can turn the caps lock key off and type perfectly well without using the shift.