Topic: Expensive wheels or junkyard finds?

I guess expensive might be a stretch, but I'm curious what people are doing wheel wise. Do you guys just scrounge a bunch of sets of wheels that are the same size and throw rubber on them? Do you take 2 or three sets of wheels and tires, or just one set of wheels and swap out the rubber track side?

One of our team suggested we grab 8 Kosei KS-1 off Tirerack at about $100 a pop and throw rubber on those so we have a complete change. We are wanting to run 15x7 on our '94 Sentra to help clear the NX2000 brakes we were gonna put on the front.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but thought I better ask before spending a grand in wheels alone.

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Re: Expensive wheels or junkyard finds?

We wanted to go from stock 14" to 15", so we bought two sets of rims.  A junkyard set of 4 alloy rims for $100 and a new set of 4 steel rims (again for $100).  We have purchased new tires for our races.  Now we have two sets of race rims and tires and one set 14" for testing and emergency.  We look for cheep deals on tires also.

Not all who wander are lost.

Look through the photo galleries, lots of cheap black steel rims.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

Craigslist got me a set of 15"x7 alloy rims for $100 (sadly, plus shipping). I wouldn't spend $100/rim usless I had absolutely no other choice. Bring spare tires mounted unless you have a solid plan for getting them mounted (like a gas station that you know will be open and have someone there who can do it, or tire service like we had at Nelson Ledges).

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

I strongly suggest you have whatever tires you plan to run all mounted and balanced.  Six tires are good, eight is better. 

Like others have pointed out, if you don't you need to have a plan on how to make that happen.  Some tracks have tire services on site and others don't.

Depending on your car and alignment, one set of tires is likely to be enough.  We did blow a tire in the last race so you never know when you will need a spare.

We also run a fair amount of camber which increases our tire wear.  It turns better but we do pay for it.

I currently have 14" and 15" wheels for the Z.  I can clear a 300ZX rotor in the rear with a 14" rim using a small spacer.  I don't know how big the NX2000 brakes are but you might clear with a 14.

The 15s my brakes clear with no problems.

The problem with 14s and 15s are limited tire options around the 200 treadwear range.  The most common 15" size is 205/50r15.  If you are okay with that, then go for it.

I am looking at going to 17" wheels for better tire options, I want a wider tire.  It looks like I can buy some nice new 17x8 or 17x9s for around $160ish dollars a wheel.  That's way to pricey for me.  So I am going to work on a 5 lug swap so I can buy used wheels easier.

Most Lemons cars seem to run on stock wheels.  I am sure some guys run new aftermarket wheels but that is not that common.  Used aftermarket wheels can get pretty cheap too.

Wheels are unlimited, it's your money.  Do what you want.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Cheap steelies can be had for cheap and seem to be lighter than the alloys with cheap wheels.  We got some used black steels off a Scion for our 323 for 30 bucks on CL.  They were cheap, very light, and flawless.  One set of tires will likely last you the whole race if you're not on a heavy car.  We might actually be able to get two races out of our current set. 

For our first race we got the cheapest wheels we could find, which were Ronal Daisy wheels.  Tee hee.  Sadly, Ronal Bears are no longer in production.

We went up 16" wheels so we could have better tire options. Do some looking around the TireRack and Discount Direct and you can find decent 15" wheels for $85 each and decent 16" wheels for a little over $100, perhaps even cheaper if they are having a good sale.

Crazybob wrote:

I guess expensive might be a stretch, but I'm curious what people are doing wheel wise. Do you guys just scrounge a bunch of sets of wheels that are the same size and throw rubber on them? Do you take 2 or three sets of wheels and tires, or just one set of wheels and swap out the rubber track side?

One of our team suggested we grab 8 Kosei KS-1 off Tirerack at about $100 a pop and throw rubber on those so we have a complete change. We are wanting to run 15x7 on our '94 Sentra to help clear the NX2000 brakes we were gonna put on the front.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but thought I better ask before spending a grand in wheels alone.

If you are driving fast enough that the difference between a 13lb wheel and an 18lbs wheel matters, you and your team will find yourselves in the penalty box frequently.  Steelies or cheap takeoffs are the way to go.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

junk yard wheels and craigslist tires...for a sentra Id guess 6 wheels (if you have a tire machine)  and 8 tires would be safe.  we bring 8 wheels with tires on em, plus a couple extras to change over sat night.

BMW 14" Bottle caps FTW!!!  Everyone has a friend that has some laying around just begging to be used.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

11 (edited by ifb_mole 2009-12-10 11:11 AM)

I constantly scoured craigslist and found a nice set of 17" x 8" wheels with the right bold pattern and offset. The car came with a nice set of wheels but for $100, the other set was too good to pass up, they were MUCH lighter too.

Most experienced Lemons teams recommended to me to have one "primary set" of don't-cut-the-corners tires /wheels (get good tires / decent wheels) then have at LEAST 2 spare mounted tires, especially if you run uni-directional ones.  For the "spare-practice-rain" tires I bought the best used tries I could for around $60-$70 a pair, max.  I found some really good ones off of Craigslist again.  On the test day after it dried out at Thunderehill, we ran the "spare" used tires on the heavy rims and they performed flawlessly.

Finding some decent used wheels doesn't seem to be too hard out here on the left coast, other places my be more difficult.  SO try and get at least one set of decent wheels (ie. lighter than stock, strong with good brake ventilation if possible) and 2-4 addition wheels for spares

Now when I cruised around the pits I did notice that there were some nice rims and tires on some pretty sorry-ass looking cars, so that does seem like one area few scrimp on - wheels and tires.

12 (edited by YesIFit 2009-12-10 11:10 AM)

Our car came w/ some sweet 17" MSR wheels (chrome removed by years of erosion or course) and studded snow tires?

We're hitting up CL for our second set...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Troy wrote:

We also run a fair amount of camber which increases our tire wear.  It turns better but we do pay for it.

No way your wear issue is due to camber.  More likely your car "turns better" due to being "toed-out" up front, not because of increased negative camber.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
Troy wrote:

No way your wear issue is due to camber.  More likely your car "turns better" due to being "toed-out" up front, not because of increased negative camber.

Our camber is -2.3 to -2.5 on all 4 corners
Front Toe .1 right & left
Total Toe: .2
Front Caster 2.9 - 3.0

The increase negative camber did help with turning. 

Our toe and caster have always been within spec.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
Troy wrote:

Our camber is -2.3 to -2.5 on all 4 corners
Front Toe .1 right & left
Total Toe: .2
Front Caster 2.9 - 3.0

The increase negative camber did help with turning. 

Our toe and caster have always been within spec.

So you have almost 1/4" toe-out in the front.  Yep that will eat the inner edges of the tires very quickly.  We run zero toe on our car and the tires wore pretty even.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We ran 1/8" toe out on our Z and tire wear was even and minimal.  I can't see another 1/8" causing excessive wear.  It all depends on the track and chassis setup though.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

We've always run 14" "turbina" alloys on our Alfa. They are light, strong, and most importantly--tires are cheap. We're pretty much limited to the 195/60-14 Falken Azenis, but that seems to work well with the car.

I think the BMW bottlecap is a similar equivalent--tough, plentiful, and they keep tires cheap.

Personally, I'd go with the smallest wheel that clears your brakes and gives you a reliable and inexpensive list of tire options.

http://cache-foo-10.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/11/500x_lth09-top-020.jpg

ecugrad wrote:

BMW 14" Bottle caps FTW!!!  Everyone has a friend that has some laying around just begging to be used.

I've got 4 of those lying around; their primary use is to hold down the tarp over the car in the driveway. Yes, the TARP Special sits in the driveway under a tarp in the offseason. It only seemed appropriate.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

19 (edited by YesIFit 2009-12-10 01:52 PM)

Mulry wrote:

Yes, the TARP Special sits in the driveway under a tarp in the offseason.

Yo dawg, I heard you ... oh, nevermind

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Sometimes wheels that appear good on the surface aren't. One of the drivers of the half-fiberglass 944 hit the door of the Peugeot with one of their C4 Corvette wheels (no idea why they did that conversion) and the result was one broken Corvette wheel and a small dent in the Peugeot's door. Gotta love that French steel!

ecugrad wrote:

On that note, I'd be curious to see what E30 guys are doing for cheap up-size wheels. I'm not aware of any 15" or 16" OEM wheels (that could be found at a junkyard) that will fit the E30 without spacers, and good spacers are about $150 a set. Even so, most OEM wheels in that lug pattern (4x100) are only 6" wide, which defeats the purpose of going upsize.

I have seen several E30 teams running the $99/each "TR" wheels, but I like to bring at least 2 sets of wheels/tires with me and I'm not sure I want to spend $800 on wheels alone.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

One extra benefit of running stock or cheap OE junkyard wheels is that they don't look nearly as nice as fresh aftermarket wheels.

Even though the rules say that wheels and tires are open, people still seem to point fingers more at a car with nicer rolling stock.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

GM Dustbuster minivan wheels FTW!

The Cavalier got upgraded to 15" wheels (snip long story about rear wheels falling off...) and we found 8 15x6.5 GM 'Large FWD' wheels at a junkyard for $175.

Steel wheels seem like a good choice, they bend a lot more before breaking.

I'm eternally happy racing a 80s GM crapbox- all the parts are super cheap and plentiful, and with some good research you can do upgrades on the cheap.
$50 a corner for way bigger brakes and beefier hubs, thanks to Pick 'n Pull...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
2/25/24

LTDScott wrote:

On that note, I'd be curious to see what E30 guys are doing for cheap up-size wheels. I'm not aware of any 15" or 16" OEM wheels (that could be found at a junkyard) that will fit the E30 without spacers, and good spacers are about $150 a set. Even so, most OEM wheels in that lug pattern (4x100) are only 6" wide, which defeats the purpose of going upsize.

There are no cheap, lightweight, 15x7" options. I'm constantly scouring craigslist for 15x7" E30 offset wheels for my spec e30. I get super excited if I can get a used set of 15x7's for $50/wheel, and those deals are hard to find.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

We just snagged a set of rims off craigslist.  I got 8 Firebird rims for $80, same diameter, offset, and so forth as what was on the Camaro so we were all set for about $10 a rim, perfect!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!