Topic: The Official 2010 Rules Update Kvetching Post

Personally, the rules changes make sense to me. But having been to this rodeo a time or two, I suspect there will be a lot of bowing and scraping about some part (like the helmet update, or the fuel cell size limit) and I wanted to use the word "kvetching" today. So there. Flame away!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Re: The Official 2010 Rules Update Kvetching Post

I think most of the rules make sense though there are some cars/trucks with gas tanks bigger than 24 gallons from the factory that would have to go to a smaller fuel cell as their stock tanks would not be legal.

I'd bet that the teams that run into that situation can probably wrangle an organizer's exemption from Jay and his crew for an OE tank.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I think the fender rule might give some CRX driving teams problems, heh.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

5 (edited by priapism 2009-12-11 11:11 AM)

Ok, I'll kvetch.  It is the first day of haunakah after all.  Whats the reason behind making licensed racers pay 50 bucks to race?

Am I reading the "people's curse award correctly; If there are more un-returned ballots than the greatest number of ballots applied towards one car; then no one gets the curse?

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

Nanker Phelge wrote:

Am I reading the "people's curse award correctly; If there are more un-returned ballots than the greatest number of ballots applied towards one car; then no one gets the curse?

Yup. That's correct.

Some clarification on the fender rule would be helpful.  I know of a certain FX-16 that sort of has fenders, assuming a couple strips of rusted out metal counts.  I read, "All cars must have fenders.  Duh." two ways:

1: All cars must have some form of cover over the tires to keep rocks and other assorted debris from being flung at other cars, spectators, track workers, etc.

2: You may not remove the original fender from the car.  Period.

^ Which one is it?  And how much of what type of alcohol would it take for #1 to be the accepted interpretation?

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

sheesh now we gotta go find a passenger fender because we had a teammate go a little "butthead" with a sawzall?  {heh heh this is cool!}

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

10 (edited by VKZ24 2009-12-11 11:18 AM)

I'm looking forward to be rules prohibiting removal of any exterior body panels.  IMO, if your car was originally a hardtop you shouldn't be allowed to cut-off the roof, if the car came with 4 doors, all of them should still be in place, etc.  Before long people will be rolling with panels at all, just tubing unless the rules are changed.  Yes, I know I'm in the minority on this since many teams have hacked off doors and body panels and want their cars to remain that way.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

I'm looking forward to be rules prohibiting removal of any exterior body panels.  IMO, if your car was originally a hardtop you shouldn't be allowed to cut-off the roof, if the car came with 4 doors, all of them should still be in place, etc.  Before long people will be rolling with panels at all, just tubing unless the rules are changed.  Yes, I know I'm in the minority on this since many teams have hacked off doors and body panels and want their cars to remain that way.

I actually agree with you. I know the cut down cars are within the letter of the rules, but I'd much prefer to see all the cars have their original bodies.

I'm all for weight reduction and crash prevention (we've gutted our inner door panels and made our wheel openings larger to avoid bent fenders cutting tires), but  I'm not a fan cars so cut down that I can't recognize what they are (like the BMW at Buttonwillow).

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

12 (edited by RobL 2009-12-11 11:54 AM)

Jer wrote:

sheesh now we gotta go find a passenger fender because we had a teammate go a little "butthead" with a sawzall?  {heh heh this is cool!}

It was an air hammer, Beavis.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

13 (edited by RobL 2009-12-11 11:58 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:

As someone who has done this...  We cut our roof off to get better access to our cage for welding and for helmet clearance - both safety related.  We've taken bumper covers off, cut fenders for tire clearance, etc.  Do you really want an SCCA type of rulebook saying what body panels can be touched and which ones can't?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

priapism wrote:

Ok, I'll kvetch.  It is the first day of haunakah after all.  Whats the reason behind making licensed racers pay 50 bucks to race?

Coupla reasons.

First, we had absolutely no problem with licensed SCCA/NASA/etc (we'll call them "ABCD") drivers who had an up-to-date license on hand. Problem was, the percentage of guys who actually delivered on that promise was pretty low. There was always a "I have a license, they haven't shipped me the card yet," or "An ABCD card is exactly the same as an EFGH card, why won't you take it?" Even giving those guys the benefit of the doubt put us in a tough situation--worst-case, if there was an on-track incident, and we were asked about a specific driver's license status, we would have felt VERY uncomfortable saying "The guy told us he had a license, they just hadn't shipped him the card yet."

Second, the whole process of having that discussion always brought the license line to a grinding halt. We felt that was unfair to the guys who paid their fifty bucks and didn't have any asterisks next to their name.

In short, the ABCD guy who brought their up-to-date hard card to every race is in fact getting screwed by the new rule. But, like I said, that's a really low percentage. Whether that breakdown was the fault of individual drivers or the sanctioning bodies--that wasn't something we wanted to make into our concern.

(As a final note, most of the licensed drivers who took issue with the $50 fee weren't as concerned with the money as they were with us not recognizing their Fangio-like status of being a ABCD-trained Club Racer. Never mind the fact that ABCD drivers cause as many--likely MORE--on-track incidents than your crew chief's sister-in-law who has never driven on track and just learned how to drive stick last Tuesday. Just sayin.')

how much can we cut fenders for fitting wheels? do they have to be stock fenders or can we make flared ones out of sheet metal?

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

The pending angels-on-a-pinhead discussion of what is/isn't a fender speaks directly to why the SCCA/NASA/etc end up having voluminous rulesets, and exactly what most of us agree we want Lemons to avoid.

Aren't fenders kind of like what Justice Potter Stewart said when asked to define hard-core pr0n: I know it when I see it? I suspect that's the judging standard that comes into play most of the time at Lemons.

RE: The license thing: When you have an SCCA license, for example and you run an event sanctioned by a different group, - say NASA or USAC or whatever, each sanctioning body will charge a nominal fee for their license - but waive the novice/provisional status. Look at it that way.

Plus there was why don't you take this versus that one  - our insurance policy made that call, and in the end this is more fair to everyone.

Jeff_LeMonsHQ wrote:

in the end this is more fair to everyone.

Indeed

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Mulry wrote:

The pending angels-on-a-pinhead discussion of what is/isn't a fender speaks directly to why the SCCA/NASA/etc end up having voluminous rulesets, and exactly what most of us agree we want Lemons to avoid.

Aren't fenders kind of like what Justice Potter Stewart said when asked to define hard-core pr0n: I know it when I see it? I suspect that's the judging standard that comes into play most of the time at Lemons.

true but I dont want the 15x6.5 chrome steelies I just found in the trunk of my friends vw 412 sedan to go to waste...I mean I am going to steal them anyway but I want to put them on the 914 along with the 225/45/15 hankooks off of the Q45 mainly because I would be able to have it road worthy with no cost in wheels and tires.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

I'm not sure what all the fender drama is about.  My fenders are rusty and I hammered flares into them.  What's left of them are still fenders.

The 28 gallon fuel tank limit is killing my station wagon plans. 

I was sealing up the back end with the fancy sticks to all duct tape and silicone, throwing in a temperpedic mattress I acquired from NASA for anti-slosh foam and making a filler which uses a 20" Dub cap for a gas cap.

Regarding the license, SCCA makes NASA guys buy a license and Vice Versa and it costs more than $50 a year.

It would be nice to have something a little more formal for a License than a business card though.

For that matter, assigning everyone a license number and having them in a database with our info would be nice.  Then we if could just put our license numbers in on the registration page and be done with it, that would be really nice.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Can it be laminated?  Pretty please?

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Troy wrote:

It would be nice to have something a little more formal for a License than a business card though.

ankle bracelets seem to be popular at this time of year.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

(As a final note, most of the licensed drivers who took issue with the $50 fee weren't as concerned with the money as they were with us not recognizing their Fangio-like status of being a ABCD-trained Club Racer.

Oh no, I'm just cheap.  Ask anyone. 

Thanks for the clarification--I figured it was something along those lines.

Speaking as a guy who has showed up with his license every time, it sounds like a money grab to me.

I'd rather Lemons just be up front about price gouging, add $50 to the $100 per driver fee, and be done with it.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

laz wrote:

I'd rather Lemons just be up front about price gouging, add $50 to the $100 per driver fee, and be done with it.

But the $50 fee is a once a year charge.  Making the driver fee $150 would be much more expensive for those who run multiple races per year.  Besides, the lawyers like to see unique fees for the license.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584