Re: The Official 2010 Rules Update Kvetching Post

I don't quite understand the significance of our Lemons license.  Give 'em $50 and your now a licensed Lemons racer.

In SCCA or NASA, there are classes or forms of qualification. 

So I don't quite understand but I still can't get or maintain a license anywhere else for $50.00.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Money grab or not, $50 a year in the big scheme of things involving racing is nothing.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Troy wrote:

I don't quite understand the significance of our Lemons license.  Give 'em $50 and your now a licensed Lemons racer.

In SCCA or NASA, there are classes or forms of qualification. 

So I don't quite understand but I still can't get or maintain a license anywhere else for $50.00.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts its extra insurance.

But... its more fun to talk about the black helicopters and evil profiteers.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

laz wrote:

Speaking as a guy who has showed up with his license every time, it sounds like a money grab to me.

I'd rather Lemons just be up front about price gouging, add $50 to the $100 per driver fee, and be done with it.

and as someone who DOESN'T have a SCCA/NASA/ETC license it sounds like you used to get off cheap.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Here's my guess:

Jay: Hey, InsuranceDude, we need to get liability and AD&D and Workman's Comp for this new racing series.

InsuranceDude: Okeydokey. Are they licensed racers?

Jay: {thinking, thinking, thinking} Yup.

Seriously, I bet there is some actuary somewhere who is looking up the risk for licensed versus unlicensed racers.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Very close, I think.  Look at how it's phrased - We now have a "Competition Membership."  Behind the scenes, I think that we are joining a club and that we are having club events.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

Very close, I think.  Look at how it's phrased - We now have a "Competition Membership."  Behind the scenes, I think that we are joining a club and that we are having club events.

usually when things are worded that way, it has to do with tax stuff and for profit vs. non profit. but i dont think 24 hours of Lemons inc. is a non profit organization.

craznoe wrote:

Can it be laminated?  Pretty please?

ditto.  for fitty bucks I want lamination, a photo and a hologram of a lemon

A LeMon hologram would be cool but probably cost extra. 

The Membership thing is an interesting point. 

Calling it a license to me implies we have to qualify in some way. 

I'm with Bob though, a laminated license with a photo and ESPECIALLY a LeMon hologram would be really cool.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We each of you SUCKERS coughing up another $50, Jay can FINALLY afford a second walk-in Sub Zero wine fridge for his loft. Bwah-ha-ha!

Also, of course, the only ones bitching are the SCCA/NASA all stars...

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

We each of you SUCKERS coughing up another $50, Jay can FINALLY afford a second walk-in Sub Zero wine fridge for his loft. Bwah-ha-ha!

well, as long as it's going toward a good cause, i've got no problem with it.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

bob-e wrote:
craznoe wrote:

Can it be laminated?  Pretty please?

ditto.  for fitty bucks I want lamination, a photo and a hologram of a lemon

+1 and I want my picture done while I am riding this!
http://www.partyzonehire.co.za/pics/rides/3_3.jpg

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Judge Jonny wrote:

We each of you SUCKERS ...

We the people?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

I don't care if the card is hand-lettered in crayon.  For only $50 anybody can buy permission to race with you knuckleheads all season long.  Where else could you do that, at that price?

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

widgetsltd wrote:

I don't care if the card is hand-lettered in crayon.  For only $50 anybody can buy permission to race with you knuckleheads all season long.  Where else could you do that, at that price?

And where else can Jay get TWO walk-in humidors?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

A little belated Kvetching (now that Sears Pointless entry fees are due). I bought a Lemons comp permit for BWillow in August, 2 of my team members bought one in November for THill. Nick's latest email says these are now worthless? Yet the rules say they're good for a whole year following the first race they are used in.

Which is it? Cheapskates are hoping their still shiny new, barely used membership isn't already expired just 2 months after its first use.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

I thought they were only good for the calender year...

If you don't have one of these, you'll need to purchase a Lemons Competition Membership at $50/season.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Well here's the quote strait out of the rules:

2.2: Driver Eligibility: All drivers must have a valid US or International driver's license and a valid Lemons Competition Membership card. Lemons Competition Membership cards are good for one year from the race for which they were purchased and are made available to all drivers after their team is accepted. No other competition licenses or memberships are recognized or reciprocated.

This is what Jay wrote in our acceptance email for Sears Pointless:

COMP LICENSES: Every driver needs a Lemons competition membership. Memberships cost $50 and are good for one year from date of purchase.

But this is what Nick said in his email sent out yesterday:

Remember, 2009 Competition Licenses are no longer valid for 2010. If this is your first race in 2010, you must buy a new license. Simply select the "I need a temporary comp membership" option from the pulldown menus in the team members section of your online team page.

Obviously I'm hoping a license purchased for the November race is still good in March. No offense to Nick, but I'd really prefer to follow what the rules and Jay's email said. Just want to get clarification before I fork over an extra $200 for the team prematurely.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing

gielamonster wrote:

Remember, 2009 Competition Licenses are no longer valid for 2010.

What part of this sounds like your license will carryover?  Face it, you have to fork over another $50 per driver.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

45 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-01-05 06:25 PM)

Mulry wrote:

The pending angels-on-a-pinhead discussion of what is/isn't a fender speaks directly to why the SCCA/NASA/etc end up having voluminous rulesets, and exactly what most of us agree we want Lemons to avoid.

Aren't fenders kind of like what Justice Potter Stewart said when asked to define hard-core pr0n: I know it when I see it? I suspect that's the judging standard that comes into play most of the time at Lemons.

+1.... already the rules are trending the wrong way (thank you insurance companies probably). If this is going to turn into IT at "$500", I already have a good IT car. I just want to race junkers with AS LITTLE RULE INFERENCE AS POSSIBLE! - That's the draw for me, not the "$500 cap". I can buy used IT cars cheaper than building a fresh Lemons car as it is. Although I like the car to look like the car as sold, people should be able to take fenders off, make different ones or whatever. Why does it matter? surely it can't be driver protection? After all, there are LOTs of open wheel series.....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Jeff G 78 wrote:
gielamonster wrote:

Remember, 2009 Competition Licenses are no longer valid for 2010.

What part of this sounds like your license will carryover?  Face it, you have to fork over another $50 per driver.

No part of it. That's the basis of my question. Quote #3 directly conflicts with quotes #1 & 2. Which happen to be the RULES and words directly from CP Lamm's keyboard in regard to the Sears Point race in question.

Just got official word back from Nick on this. STARTING in 2010, Lemons Comp Memberships are good for one full year. So we have to buy new ones for Sears Point, but then they'll be good till March of 2011.

Oh well.

Fenders... Blech.  We've never driven with fenders before.  We're gonna be all aerodynamic(ish) and stuff. 

The FrankenMiata actually looks like a car with our cheater Spec Miata fenders.  Lame.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

wrappedinbacon wrote:

Fenders... Blech.  We've never driven with fenders before.  We're gonna be all aerodynamic(ish) and stuff. 

The FrankenMiata actually looks like a car with our cheater Spec Miata fenders.  Lame.

Cheater!!!  Cheater!!!  In an effort to not screw up resale value on the Geo, we have been burdened with fenders the whole time.  No wonder your car is so much faster.  Cheater!!!!  Those fenders will slow you down.  Oh yes they will, cheater!!!

As for the license rule...  What ever.  $50?  I spend more then that on cheater silicone radiator hoses, PER RACE.  I tell you all, that's where it's at.  Silicone radiator hoses.  Orange and purple...

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

As for the license rule...  What ever.  $50?  I spend more then that on cheater silicone radiator hoses, PER RACE.  I tell you all, that's where it's at.  Silicone radiator hoses.  Orange and purple...

We just wrapped our old cracked hoses in preventative duct tape. They seemed to hold up ok.

--Spank