Re: Vaughn Gitten Jr. explains how I personally ruined his team's weekend

Aww, leave the drifters alone.  They enjoy working on and driving their cars too.  Just because it's not our venue, doesn't mean its to be looked down upon.  All IMHO

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Buzz Killington wrote:
BushWacker wrote:

I thought a Drifter was the guys that were unable to dial in their rear suspension and stop the loose rear wheel slide.  They made a competition out of it? Those who can't drive with the leaders make their own sport?   Hmmmmmmmm.

drifters, huh?

http://www.filmsquish.com/guts/files/im … rifter.jpg

um...maybe we shouldn't make fun of them after all.

i thought "spaghetti westerns" were from Italy, not Japan?

wouldn't that make this an "Udon noodle" western?

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

mikespeed95 wrote:

if you're going to knock drifting for being judged, don't you think you should do it somewhere other than a forum for an "endurance race" that has....*gasp* JUDGES!

Ummm...I don't think the 'judges' in Lemons determine the winner.  The guys who cross the finish line (the most in endurance racing like this) are the winners.

Before you pile on my a$$ too, I actually like drifting.  I think it takes a lot of skill to do it, and do it well.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Before you pile on my a$$ too, I actually like drifting.  I think it takes a lot of skill to do it, and do it well.

which is really odd when you consider the 'ese thing VK.  smile

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

We have nothing against drifters. We just don't like it when drivers rack up vast quantities of black flags in a short time.

jeeeeesh. all this niose due to a couple of fellas with attitude. i've going to my first event in houston next month, as a crewdog.

the way i see, it's  a weekend party away from the house, with the theme being a large number of junkpiles being thrashed to death...

if this was a serious racing deal, would the winners be paid with bags of nickels?????

Hey, the Nickels come in boxes damn it!

I though the ice dancing comment was funny. 

Now if you could only get tight assed young women in fanny packs or less to do twirling burn outs on roller blades, you'd have one hell of a sport!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Now if you could only get tight assed young women in fanny packs or less to do twirling burn outs on roller blades, you'd have one hell of a sport!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2082445312/tt0118749

smile

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Troy wrote:

Boxes???? ohhhh. well

MurileeMartin wrote:

We have nothing against drifters. We just don't like it when drivers rack up vast quantities of black flags in a short time.

i dont like how many of them are just idiots, personally and mechanically. im not a datsun fan but i feels so bad how there just are not going to be any nice 240s around in 10 years beacuse of the abuse these guys are dishing out. im caging a, ex drifter 240sx for Lemons and ive never seen a car with more beat up rocker panels, the used to be a nice smooth curve now they are a hammered sharp concave crease. shit if the rocker sill collapses from jacking the car up with it once, stop doing it!

^...you say, as you prepare a 240 for it's ultimate destruction. You'll take much better care of it I'm sure. wink

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Jer wrote:

Aww, leave the drifters alone.  They enjoy working on and driving their cars too.  Just because it's not our venue, doesn't mean its to be looked down upon.  All IMHO

forddragracer wrote:

jeeeeesh. all this niose due to a couple of fellas with attitude. i've going to my first event in houston next month, as a crewdog.

the way i see, it's  a weekend party away from the house, with the theme being a large number of junkpiles being thrashed to death...

if this was a serious racing deal, would the winners be paid with bags of nickels?????

these two get it.  its fun stuff with cars, just like Lemons.  people think Lemons isn't their cup o' tea but don't bicker about it everywhere.

90% of the people that have a problem with drifting that I eventually get to come to an event for fun, have a blast at the event and one of two things happens.

"I'm good at it/I suck TERRIBLY and i wanna do it more, was fun!!" then they come back

"I suck and I wanna learn do it more, it was fun"  then 2 months later they don't come back, and talk about how gay it was.

Its something fun to do with cars people, geez.  and to whoever claimed the judges don't (in any way fashion/form) determine the winners, why are you posting here when you've obviously never been to a Lemons race?  if you have you're either too caught up in trying to win the ultimate prize, a endurance race where 90% of the competitors aren't interested in the win.  IoE is where its at, and the judges help decide that, when you catch the true spirit of Lemons, you'll understand this.

summary:

drifting - fun with cars

Lemons - fun with cars

what should you be doing?

having fun with cars.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

mikespeed95 wrote:

...you're either too caught up in trying to win the ultimate prize, a endurance race where 90% of the competitors aren't interested in the win.  IoE is where its at, and the judges help decide that, when you catch the true spirit of Lemons, you'll understand this...

I agreed with you up until this point. If you are going for the over-all win, more power to you.  If you are going for IoE, more power to you still.

Having the attitude that someone that isn't racing for the same reason you are "just doesn't get it" or "isn't in the true spirit of Lemons" is the same as the people trashing drifting because it is not the type of racing they want to do, don't you think?

"I suck and I wanna learn do it more, it was fun"  then 2 months later they don't come back, and talk about how gay it was.

kind of like autoX then huh?

i think you are forgetting the perspective of those of us over the age of 40.  while i try to keep an open mind, i still think drifiting is stupid when taken as a "competition" motorsport.

style points for the win?  i don't like ice dancing either.  or for that matter, tatoos Hip-Hop, saggin jeans, snow boarding, NOPI, Fast & Furious, etc. etc.

alright well maybe i like "tramp-stamps"

from a point of spectating, i'm sure it is entertaining.  but i think i'll stay on the couch at home.

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

soldmystang wrote:

or anything else, but yes.  although auto-x you can still buy your way to being decent with the go mediocrely fast on the PAX sheet playset from fisher price.  i see more people get pissed at drifting because if you don't pick it up right off the bat, unlike lapping days/auto-x/drag racing you cant just throw money at it and get a little better.

i think you are forgetting the perspective of those of us over the age of 40.  while i try to keep an open mind, i still think drifiting is stupid when taken as a "competition" motorsport.

so you dislike the x-games 100% due to the judged criteria?  be open minded, and quit thinking of it like racing, which its not.

i don't like ice dancing either.  or for that matter, tatoos Hip-Hop, saggin jeans, snow boarding, NOPI, Fast & Furious, etc. etc.

i can agree with this, except snowboarding, thats cool.

i just don't think its fair for some of you to automatically bash someone becuase they enjoy drifting, and just may happen to be good at it, therefore compete at it at whatever level.  it is fun, and i thought thats what we're all here to have, and itshould be simple as that.  we're car guys too, and it bothers me that when i go to the track sometimes i meet people, and when they find out i used to drift at a professional level for a couple years i get thrown into this evil person pile, and thats stupid.  we're all car guys, lets go drive deathtraps and have fun.  this thread was done, till someone had to try to be whitty and showoff their blind hatred for a form of motorsport.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

We have way more drifters racing in Lemons than many of you seem to realize, and they don't seem any better or worse than the Spec Delta 88 guys (or whatever "real" racers are).

We've also got plenty of drag racers whose first experience on a road course takes place at Lemons. We like the drag racers, because they're the ones who don't even blink when confronted with their third nuked engine of the weekend.

We also have a fair number of Lemons racers who have never been on a track of any sort before. All are welcome.

mikespeed95 wrote:
soldmystang wrote:

or anything else, but yes.  although auto-x you can still buy your way to being decent with the go mediocrely fast on the PAX sheet playset from fisher price.  i see more people get pissed at drifting because if you don't pick it up right off the bat, unlike lapping days/auto-x/drag racing you cant just throw money at it and get a little better.

so you dislike the x-games 100% due to the judged criteria?  be open minded, and quit thinking of it like racing, which its not.

i don't like ice dancing either.  or for that matter, tatoos Hip-Hop, saggin jeans, snow boarding, NOPI, Fast & Furious, etc. etc.

i can agree with this, except snowboarding, thats cool.

i just don't think its fair for some of you to automatically bash someone becuase they enjoy drifting, and just may happen to be good at it, therefore compete at it at whatever level.  it is fun, and i thought thats what we're all here to have, and itshould be simple as that.  we're car guys too, and it bothers me that when i go to the track sometimes i meet people, and when they find out i used to drift at a professional level for a couple years i get thrown into this evil person pile, and thats stupid.  we're all car guys, lets go drive deathtraps and have fun.  this thread was done, till someone had to try to be whitty and showoff their blind hatred for a form of motorsport.

you should have been there for this one.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh … motorsport

it's a generatioanal thing Mike.  when i was a kid only the winner took home a trophy.  the rest of us had to suck it up and be satisfied with a popsicle.  smile

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

drifters racing

I about pee'd my pants yesterday while watching the parade laps prior to the start of the Chump race.

This 'drifter guy' came out on track from the pit lane and got that "rock n' roll", side to side move going up the hill into T2.
Yeah, he went off into the grass in his first 'turn'.
It took him a few minutes to get back on track, because it was so slick and he had to wait for the entire field to pass...

He started last.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs200.snc3/20759_255338724328_671564328_3000212_7748538_n.jpg

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

The judges are all unfair and should be treated to a soap party...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

mikespeed95 wrote:

i just don't think its fair for some of you to automatically bash someone becuase they enjoy drifting

i think any bashing of any particular person was caused by that person's comments towards Lemons and those people who run it.  that, and not drifting, is what rubbed me the wrong way.

and anyway, you probably should realize that most of the ribbing is in good fun, and the more defensive you get the more ribbing you invite.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

To be honest, I got along fine with all but one of the Channel 4 News guys at Thunderhill; they seemed to have a good sense of humor about the whole deal. It was later, when they refused to share their video of the Starsky & The Bandit Ghost Ride The Whip penalty that I decided I'd spend all of 2010 being extra harsh on all 240SX racers.

"retaliation both arbitrary and excessive for slights both real and perceived."  gotta love it.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

i see more people get pissed at drifting because if you don't pick it up right off the bat, unlike lapping days/auto-x/drag racing you cant just throw money at it and get a little better.

see my name? i getting back to drag racing, too. try throwing lots of cash at a drag car. if the driver hasn't the talent to handle the car, bad things happen quick.   real quick

Buzz Killington wrote:

"retaliation both arbitrary and excessive for slights both real and perceived."  gotta love it.

smile  gots to love some Lemons.

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Note to self:
Scratch 240SX as 'back-up car'.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports