Re: New fuel capacity rule question/clarification:

I would like to know the size of the fuel tanks for the top 10 finishers at '09 Thunderhill.  We finished 8th with a 16.4 gal stock tank.  We refueled 3 times per day, running close to two hours a tank.
Jim

OldFart wrote:

I would like to know the size of the fuel tanks for the top 10 finishers at '09 Thunderhill.  We finished 8th with a 16.4 gal stock tank.  We refueled 3 times per day, running close to two hours a tank.
Jim

the benefit of Porsches is they do come with good sized tanks.....ours is 22.7 gallons & also runs for two hours...but I would guess is slower to refill than yours

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I have two main suggestions:

1. Grandfather cars that already have larger cells.  I doubt it's that many any way.

2. 24 gallon cell maximum or largest oem tank capacity, which ever is larger is the limit.  I don't know of many cars with 24+ gallon tanks but almost all full size trucks are around 30 gallons.  The basic point here being, you can run a stock tank if is over 24 gallons but if you go to a cell, you are limited to 24 gallons.

I've got a 12 gallon cell and it gets us about 1.5-2 hours.  I think we will run 24s in any future builds.  It's about an extra 100 pounds of fuel though.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

OldFart wrote:

Jim

Our stock tank is just a tad over 19 gallons and like you we filled 3 times on Saturday although we did it more often on Sunday as a failed alternator made us stop every 1:15 to swap batteries.

You could weld a tab on a couple of the access plate bolts, then offer the scrutineer one of those plastic trailer/container seals.....drop the blocks in in tech, bolt up then let the man apply the tamper evident seal. You should be good for the weekend. Most industrial/shipping supply outfits can supply the seals.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....