Topic: have there been any major accidents in the races?

what was the worst accident?

2 (edited by OnkelUdo 2014-07-23 12:29 PM)

Re: have there been any major accidents in the races?

EthanOfDodge wrote:

what was the worst accident?

Letting us idiots pretend like we can drive a for-real racetrack was either and horrible accident or Jay losing a drunken bet and not being able to back out in the morning.

There have ben a few roll-overs and wall impacts.  I believe a total of two deaths that were proven NOT to be related directly to a crash but crashes resulted after the fact (eg, heart attack causes wall impact).

The worst I have seen personally is just a hard sidewipe or two when one car exceeds the limits of traction and slides into another car.  More injuries happen in the paddock in one race than all the on-track human carnage in probably three seasons of racing.

I can recall some pretty hard wall impacts or rear-endings. One rollover that caught on fire too. However I haven't heard of anyone getting more injured than a concussion, bruising or a broken toe. Thank god for safety requirements and inspections, I know many teams would go out on track with a wood cage and some oven mitts.

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

Oh and the worst injury I heard of recently was a corner worker getting hit by a car lining up to get on track. Broken leg sad

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

On entry to T11 at Sears a few years back, one poor fellow got turned into the wall.  Cracked a vertebrae or two.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/200-proof- … roll-cage/

This is real racing, so there are real racing incidents.  They are rare, but when they do happen, the mandated safety equipment seems to do its job well.  There have been a few broken limbs, but when compared to how severe the incident was (eg, rolling hard into the outfield, hitting a concrete wall at speed, hitting a concrete wall at speed then flipping and catching on fire, etc), the injuries are relatively minor.

Point being: while there's safety equipment in place and the racing has a carnival atmosphere, don't delude yourself into thinking it is risk free.

I was at the CMP race where Sidney Brayton died from an apparent coronary before hitting the wall.  It not being caused by the racing didn't make it any easier.  That was a rough weekend and I hope Sidney's family is doing well - they're still frequently in my thoughts.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

In that "other" series I have witnessed more then one chopper ride out of the track, usually it is because the driver had a concussion/got briefly knocked out or for a couple broken ribs, usually the person involved is back to the track by event end.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I probably shouldn't say this before our race weekend, but I'd wager more injuries are sustained in the shop prior to racing.

Dave G
Canadian Border Patrol

The ZomBee tumbled end over end, and there have been a couple of roll-overs.

Worst injury that I am aware of is Mike Harrell getting ambushed by a traffic cone and breaking his arm.  No cars were involved in that afaik.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

I know of at least 1 heat related ambulance ride, dehydration was the given explanation.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

I think what all these posters are trying to say is that Lemons racing IS RACING but the likely hood of getting hurt or killed while certainly possible is not as likely as most people would think who are not familiar with auto racing. I believe my chances of being involved  in a crash on the track  are less then they would be driving on the Chicago Dan Ryan Expressway in rush hour traffic.

stimpyvan wrote:

...Mike Harrell getting ambushed by a traffic cone and breaking his arm.  No cars were involved in that afaik.

No cars, just me on a stroll through the pits at night and the aforementioned cone.  Only my wrist was broken, though.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

That was my Cavalier that got wiped out at Sears Point.
Not too often you can say "Yeah, my car got crashed and Tyler broke his neck." followed by whoever I'm talking to: "!!!"
"He got better."

I've been there for both of the deaths, and it is a sad place to be, even if not directly related to the racing.

Remember that Lemons has had THOUSANDS of drivers at this point, and statistically it was gonna happen at some point.
Still think of the drivers' families.

-Anton

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

The most common ER-visit-required injury at Lemons races is the head-sliced-open-on-trailer-door-frame one. Heatstroke/dehydration is also pretty common. On-track injuries aren't common, but they happen often enough that we are total ballbusters about safety gear.

Judge Phil wrote:

The most common ER-visit-required injury at Lemons races is the head-sliced-open-on-trailer-door-frame one. Heatstroke/dehydration is also pretty common. On-track injuries aren't common, but they happen often enough that we are total ballbusters about safety gear.

And we are glad for it. When one of my drivers put our car in the wall at Road America all he had was some sore ribs and bruises. Safety gear is money well spent.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Judge Phil wrote:

...we are total ballbusters about safety gear.

For safety, I still think the location of each cone should be clearly marked by cones.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Judge Phil wrote:

The most common ER-visit-required injury at Lemons races is the head-sliced-open-on-trailer-door-frame one.

This is why I have a pool noodle cut down to size in my trailer.  As soon as the door opens, that gets placed on the top of the door frame.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Let's just say that we all are aware of incidents, but many of us choose not to talk about incidents out of superstition....

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

http://youtu.be/422ro2AbEWw

This inspired me to get a HANS.

I am very glad for the safety ball busting. Makes me feel better when I'm out there.

The worst incident i've seen personally was at NH last fall when the steering broke in the saab and it drove straight into the wall. I think i'm correct in saying that the driver was fine. But since I was standing right there and saw it happen it was seriously scary.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

22 (edited by chaase 2014-07-24 10:36 AM)

Judge Phil wrote:

Keep up the ball busting.

We were watching one video after a race two years ago where there was a crash. There was in car video that someone slowed down so you could see what was going on. The amount of movement still amazes me. The driver was using the doughnut for neck protection and there was a lot of neck movement. Once we saw that, we bought a Necks Gen and have never looked back. They protect better and are more comfortable to boot.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Just go search Youtube for "Lemons roll over" or Lemons crash. Plenty of good footage.

These are mostly west coast stuff which i know of. Some highlights from the early races (2010). A couple roll overs including the zombee off to the right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9gy2VTMo2g

The cavalier at Sears point (Sonoma) from another car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01Enj8zHTY

The Turtle BMW 528 6x roll over. Watch the cars way up in front. (6 times, and the driver walked away with bruised shoulders!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcCCBG0iOjs

The Camaro rear ended in 2011. It was stalled in the middle of the long straight between turn 6 and 7. The Saturn that hit it was done, forever. Rear bumper of the camaro bent the upper halo bar back into the driver area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX0kZGQJmnA

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

24 (edited by ninjacoco 2014-07-29 11:30 AM)

Our big t-bone was in a ChumpCar race (see "that's not gone well" below)--our driver spun, and the guy who hit us was looking at another spin to the side of the track (oof!)--but still, aside from a little soreness, our driver was okay. The worst I've seen have been things like that: car to car contact, with mechanical issues taking people out of a race as opposed to injuries. Oh, and because MSR-H: dehydration.

I'd much prefer an incident in a crapcan racer over one on the street. I'm a lot more hurt (still) from a less serious incident in my street car than the guy who got t-boned in Porschelump v1.

Drink so much water you'll have to pee all day and don't cheap out on safety items.

I've only got give races under my belt, and in a slow car no less, but these are the six things I have learned.

1. Get a Hans/NecksGen/Whatever-Not-Foam-Donut. We use a NecksGen, it's my safety blanket.

2. Stay healthy! Yes, I drink a butt-terrible amount of beer. But, each alcohol get's one water. Each night gets eight hours sleep. Start hydrating the WEEK BEFORE the race. Good eyes, clear mind, much focus, limber body. Maybe work out a little too. Your cardiologist would be happy.

3. KNOW THE TRACK! I have to learn the track turn by turn before each race. I know where I can pass, where I must hang back and what's coming next. That way I can focus on traffic and the car. It also makes me the wet weather hot-shoe.

4. Leave racing room. Cutting a dude off from behind, cutting it close, squeezing through and being daring is great for the pros in F1, but this is endurance racing. The mantra: you won't win this race in a single turn is very true. I forgot it and spun once. Dumb me. Trying to pass the Fury no less...womp...womp.

5. Redundancy is your friend. Cage meet Lemons requirements? Have a month off? Make it better. Thought about a fire system? You should. Cool suit and radios add to driver comfort and also reduce cockpit stress, adding to focus.

6. Finally, the Ballbusting is for two reasons. One, if you die because you cut a safety corner, your legacy will be the ruination of Lemons, it's affordable because of our excellent track record in safety. Two, this is real, honest road racing. While the mental image of a 1964 Dart and a 300D dicing it up may be funny, that's nearly five tons of steel on a wet coarse doing 80 miles per hour, jockeying for position while exhausted into 'one of the hardest corners in racing'. It gets real very, very fast. Your team will spin, you may rub and it will all get too real too fast. 

What's the worst accident in Lemons? The one YOU didn't prepare for.

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker