Topic: Got a 91 5speed maxima last night

I got on craigslist last night just to mess around not really looking for anything specific, but stubbled across a 91 maxima with a 5 speed for $350 and had it 2 hours later.  The owner could not get the starter to turn over and had tried replacing a few things like the ignition switch, but didn't work.  After talking with him, I told him I would come pick it up right then for $250 cash in hand and he agreed.

When I got there, the car was in pretty good looking condition outside for a car almost 20 years old.  We started looking around in it before loading it up on the trailer and all of the windows were held up by screwdrivers with electrical tape wedged between teh glass and door panel.  The car has 270,000 miles on it and reeks of weed inside.  The clutch pedal like to stay at the wall, even though it has plenty of fluid and we will have to get around the ABS.  On the plus side, it had a good Pioneer radio and Infinity Kappa Perfects in the door, so I will be able to recoup a fair amount of the cost by selling just those two things. 

He left everything in the car when I bought it, so there was all kinds of crap in the glove box and now I feel like I know him better than some of my own friends.  I have about 20 paycheck stubs, CPS filings, traffic tickets, bail reciept, address book, assorted pictures and a $25 gift card to chili's. 

Now I just need to get this thing running.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Re: Got a 91 5speed maxima last night

Awesome. Now you have money for Tein springs. Unless it came with them already.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

you MUST go with this paint scheme.  that would kill!

http://www.motorworldhype.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/tein-s15-1.jpg

Mulry wrote:

Awesome. Now you have money for Tein springs. Unless it came with them already.

ugh... let it die already smile

You need to post pics of this beauty!

I think you need to bust out the cheatonium...

MurileeMartin wrote:

We'd probably just give this one zero laps, if only to jab a red-hot knitting needle into a certain Maxima racer's liver.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

FreeRange wrote:

ugh... let it die already smile

I know you're kidding. Right? I mean, that Maxima story was an instant classic, not quite as good as the Schumacher guys' story about how they got their MR2, but close. That MR2 story is one I can read over and over again and I still laugh my ass of every time.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

7 (edited by rharris19 2009-12-16 09:33 AM)

bob-e wrote:

you MUST go with this paint scheme.  that would kill!

http://www.motorworldhype.com/wp-conten … -s15-1.jpg

Already thought ot that.  STRONG possibility for the next race.  We may still have out miata for the houston race if we don't get this done in time.  We signed up as the miata, but I think we could send Jay an email and switch over to the Cheater Maxima.

We may paint out stock springs green to make them look like teins.  Haven't looked to see what cheap springs on ebay there are for this car.  Regardless, the springs will be green.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

dang, you have a Miata too?  All you need now is an E30 for the cheater trifecta haha

Yeah I know.  Got a miata from a wire fire and showed up to the Houston event at MSR where everyone was hating the miatas.  Then we got passed mid turn by the team that got crushed and we too hated miatas, lol.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

My driver, what's left of it, is a 90 Maxima SE 5speed with around 275K on the clock.  The VG30 is less exciting than the VQ30.

When I bought springs for my car, Tiens were not available.  So I've got Eibachs.  I like my Maxima but it ain't no race car. 

For the track, a Miata is a way better chassis than the Maxima.

Enjoy the ride.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

My driver, what's left of it, is a 90 Maxima SE 5speed with around 275K on the clock.  .

I'll give ya $350 for it

bob-e wrote:
Troy wrote:

My driver, what's left of it, is a 90 Maxima SE 5speed with around 275K on the clock.  .

I'll give ya $350 for it

No

It's got every bolt on suspension part I could find on it.  Cost way more than the car was worth back when I did it a few years ago.  It even had clear coat back then.

Now it's probably only worth about $350 even if the struts and springs cost more than that.

I'll paint it at some point probably in 2010.

Even with all the suspension stuff, I think a 325 or Miata would hand it it's ass.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Stock it weighs 3100 lbs and had 160hp, but 182lb torque.  Not fast by any means, but I think after we strip it completely and change the springs, it should be competative.  Atleast I hope.  I have more than enough room in the budget for springs for the miata, but I don't want to do anything to that car out of fear of the masses.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

My guess after stripping you'll loose about 200 lbs with the cage.

rharris19 wrote:

Stock it weighs 3100 lbs and had 160hp, but 182lb torque.  Not fast by any means, but I think after we strip it completely and change the springs, it should be competative.  Atleast I hope.  I have more than enough room in the budget for springs for the miata, but I don't want to do anything to that car out of fear of the masses.

All I know is the 97 5 speed that was at Thunderhill was FAST...  its rated at 190hp-205ftlbs & 3010lbs...... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqt5Q7TMaxY

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Don't get me wrong, the car had good grunt down the straights for sure (pushy and mucho body roll in the corners) also the driver in this video is VERY talented AND has hundreds of laps at Thunderhill, so you can't give all the credit to the car!! His best lap was a mid 2:23, even with his talent and experience that lap time wouldn't have cracked the top 20% of the field. The next fastest on the team was a 2:26 or so, also a driver with hundreds of laps at Thunderhill. The "average Joe" driver had a best of a 2:37. The percieved speed of this car was more the driver than anything else. He was a top 10 at the National Championships in Spec Miata and in the SF region he was top 5 in points even after missing 4 races. He is wicked fast.

ifb_mole wrote:

Don't get me wrong, the car had good grunt down the straights for sure (pushy and mucho body roll in the corners) also the driver in this video is VERY talented AND has hundreds of laps at Thunderhill, so you can't give all the credit to the car!! His best lap was a mid 2:23, even with his talent and experience that lap time wouldn't have cracked the top 20% of the field. The next fastest on the team was a 2:26 or so, also a driver with hundreds of laps at Thunderhill. The "average Joe" driver had a best of a 2:37. The percieved speed of this car was more the driver than anything else. He was a top 10 at the National Championships in Spec Miata and in the SF region he was top 5 in points even after missing 4 races. He is wicked fast.

For a car rated at 190hp and weighing 3010lbs (15.8lbs-hp) vs our 928 rated at 234hp-3400lbs (14.5lbs-hp) is pretty close..plus the extra gear and manual helps too.... 

The laps in the video show how close the V8olvo-Maxima and 928 were on track...sure the "best" lap times varied between 2:17 for the volvo, 2:19.7 for the 928 and 2:23 for the Maxima..it sure seemed faster to me...at least when I was driving with it I would say its a sub 2:20 car with ease....  But 2:23 on day 1 was quite good....I managed a 2:23 on day one which I was happy with..

Our driver in the video is an experienced racer, but this was his 1st race ever at Thunderhill... 

Even though neither of our teams finished "well" it was still a total blast to race with you guys....since the best battles are with similar speed cars...& I really enjoyed battling with you guys...

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

18 (edited by ifb_mole 2009-12-16 11:32 PM)

Agreed I was second out on Saturday in the Maxima and sure enough I was running with Mark Kirbort in the 928, he got by me and only because of traffic I was able to stay close to him, it was fun for sure. I noticed that the 928 and the Volvos strenght was the torque they had, gotta love that v8 torque. Of course you guys had some pretty stout drivers too.

ifb_mole wrote:

Agreed I was second out on Saturday in the Maxima and sure enough I was running with Mark Kirbort in the 928, he got by me and only because of traffic I was able to stay close to him, it was fun for sure. I noticed that the 928 and the Volvos strenght was the torque they had, gotta love that v8 torque. Of course you guys had some pretty stout drivers too.

It goes back to the old motto "HP sells engines, torque wins races!"  Our bone stock 928 has a healthy bottom end....near 240ftlbs around 3000rpm....it slowly drops off from there......but fighting the slushbox and 1 legger make it hard to put power down...especially in the tighter turns where it really likes to smoke the inside tire....and LSD and 5 speed would be significantly faster

It seems the "faster" cars all stayed close together...depending on traffic....its just about impossible to significantly pull away from any of the top ten lap time cars....add traffic and cautions & it makes for some tight racing!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

It seems the "faster" cars all stayed close together...depending on traffic....its just about impossible to significantly pull away from any of the top ten lap time cars....add traffic and cautions & it makes for some tight racing!!

That's how it was for us at New Orleans. Lap after lap with one of the E30's. The lap times are so close that the only way to get an advantage was because of traffic. And then a couple laps later there we were again. It's good to hook up with an equally matched car, makes for quick laps and fun times.

Can't wait til Feb. 20th.

Turns out that the problem was a grounding issue at the battery I think.  I will know more tomorrow when we look at it more.  So much weight has been taken out of this thing already it's nuts.  I am going to get it weighed at the cat scales close to my house after we get it fully prepped.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

OK when the person changed the battery last, they disconnected the main harness ground and never hooked it back up.  That and the starter was locked up, but that was fixed with a couple blows from the rubber mallet.  It started up, but good lord it smokes alot.  I am hoping that it is just a temporary thing, otherwise the rings may be toast and I will have to replace them. 

We are going to do a compression test tonight and see what comes up.  Normally I look for 180, but I will be happy with 150 across all four, hell 140 and I will just say screw it and it's fine. 

On the outside it really does look too nice for this race.  It is very clean for a car it's age and has working A/C!  Oh well, now to build a cage. 

Already sold the radio and speakers for $150 together to a car shop down the street and the door panels/door glass were boight by a local salvage shop for $25.  The one good window motor on the car sold instantly on craigs list for $25, so now I am down to $50 invested.  I really don't want to touch the engine, but might need to spend some of it on a timing belt/water pump/possibly new rings.  We will see.

Here is the car
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/9634/img00501.jpg

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Rharris,

What's the mileage?

Valve guide seals are more common than ring problems.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

your already down to $50 with a RUNNING car.....your golden.....race that thing!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

260,000 miles. it isn't smoking as much as it was, so that is very good, but when we went for a drive, it was having bad misfires above 4000 rpm under any load.  Went down to the local auto parts store and picked up a distributor cap for $23.76.  I was amazed at how cheap it was since I am used to coils.  Hooked it up and it works like a champ now.  It still needs to be driven hard as it has just been sitting for a while, but  that cleared up most of it. 

I may get some el cheap shocks if available, haven't looked, and invest in a good radiator

Namco Racing #48 Miata