Topic: BFE - Who's going to be there?

After our stellar performance at Sebring (we get to re-use the car...) , racing 47 Wine O Racing will grace the grid with our awesome Solara.  Seeing as how Judge Phil completely bashed us on the Sebring wrapup, ("Incredibly Butt Slow", seriously?)  we fully expect the Judginator to humbly make extensive amends by showering us with a Class C bracket this outing.

If we had feelings they could have been hurt!  So there!  Stay out of the Toyotaslugs way!  or vice versa...  we're faster than most farm combines and corner better, if you know what I mean... smile

...Worlds fastest Lemons Solara, by the way...

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing
Co-Builder of the world's winningest Toyota Solara SVE

Re: BFE - Who's going to be there?

Let us local guys know what we can do for you.  Looking forward to racing with you guys... though as one of the members of the '50 Dodge truck team, it might be a "slow race" between our two teams.  Now taking bets on who will set the track record for longest lap time smile

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Class C at High Plains is going to redefine the word "slow" this time. The Grumpy Cat '50 Dodge at 5,000 feet with steep grades might average 10 mph lap speeds. But you never know-- it is true that the Solara is astonishingly sluggish.

Hopefully they'll be able to go fast enough to avoid shifting, that transmission is pretty balky...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

"the Solara is astonishingly sluggish"      You're killin' me Smalls...

Solara = Latin for "retired persons two door Camry"   

Surprisingly enough there are very few hop-up parts for a Solara.  Hard to even be cheaty.  Who'd a thunk?  Golly, sort of like polishing a turd, so to speak...

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing

Miller MP isn't that much closer to sea level than HPR. That Dodge was slow, but not Snipe slow.  I expect similar performance this go round.

Solara isn't that fast, but really, are you guys missing a few plug wires or something? My ex had a Solara, I saw an indicated 125 mph more than once. Solid B class performance, I'd say.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

That Dodge was slow, but not Snipe slow.

The Snipe is much faster, now that it has better carburetors (dual Stromberg CDs).
It is still running too rich, even with the jets screwed all the way in, so I have to
figure out what is happening there.   If I had infinite time, I would fabricate a custom
manifold and try TBI, but that's not likely to happen.   Better suspension would
probably give a bigger payback.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Larry and the crew in the huge WORT art department got busy at lunch yesterday...

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/profromdover_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6ba59872.jpg

Bill

Here's some numbers for comparison.  Looks like some hill climbing may be involved...

ECR                                                       BFE                                                  Miller

2.55 miles: long course                          2.55 miles (full course)                     4.48 miles (full course)
1.70 miles: small course                       2.00 miles west course                     3.05 miles outer course
                                                            1.86 miles north course                   2.20 miles east course
                                                            1.28 miles short course                   2.20 miles west course

70 feet of elevation change                300+ feet elevation change               70-80 feet

11 turns, 6 straights                              15 turns, 6 straights                         24 turns, 11ish straights

Longest straight – 2000'                        Longest straight - 2838’                     Longest straight - 3500'

Tightest turn 80’ radius                         Tightest turn 80’ radius

For us flatlanders, remember to move slow since the air is thin.  Plan on being winded and your head pounding when you unload your trailer...

Bill

The MRolla will be at HPR. Love that track and BFE is always among the best events with the friendliest teams and track staff.

Looks like it will be great weather like last year.  Good temps and a dry track!  A Denver thing I reckon...

Denver weather
Month                 Avg. High (F° / C°)    Avg. Low (F° / C°)    Avg. Precip (in / mm)
AUGUST             86°F / 30C°             54°F / 12.2C°           2.01 in. / 51.1 mm
SEPTEMBER       78°F / 25.6C°         44°F / 6.7C°             1.13 in. / 28.7 mm

Bill

The Inglorious Bastards will be there! We have every Junkyard 302 located within five hundred miles and ear marked for transplant!

"WE MAY HAVE BEEN HASTY IN OUR MOTOR SELECTION"
Winner Judges Choice ECR 2011, Winner Heroic Fix 2012 TWS, Overly Realistic Automotive Journalist Replica Car ECR 2014,Winner Class B Gatorama MSR Houston 2014, $500.00 bucks baby!

Profromdover wrote:

Looks like it will be great weather like last year.  Good temps and a dry track!  A Denver thing I reckon...

Denver weather
Month                 Avg. High (F° / C°)    Avg. Low (F° / C°)    Avg. Precip (in / mm)
AUGUST             86°F / 30C°             54°F / 12.2C°           2.01 in. / 51.1 mm
SEPTEMBER       78°F / 25.6C°         44°F / 6.7C°             1.13 in. / 28.7 mm

HPR is about a thousand miles from Denver, pretty much in Kansas. Actually, it's more like 60 miles, but feels like a thousand. It is the most isolated track we go to, hence the name.

Wine O RacingTeam 47 has reservations at the Longhorn Motel in the hustling bustling metropolis of Byers.  This hotel is rated at 3.5 out of 5 on Expedia.

The reviews are stellar such as: 

"so much better than a tent or sleeping in your car."
               "when you are in the middle of nowhere and you need a room, this is a good place"
               "facilities are best described as "fleabag"."

So we have that going for us...  Hella Sweet!

Bill

As has become our habit for the BFEGP, Dr. Wife and I will leave the various TetanusMobiles behind and go to Colorado to drive the novel machinery of Rocket Surgery Racing. I think it's the Checker again this year.

You're going to love HPR. It does have some elements reminiscent of ECR but I think it has more entertaining variations of corners.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

BFE will be my first race, but one of our team members has done it before.   Didn't have time to sort out our impound Acura, so bought an MR2 that ran there a couple of years ago.   We were hoping to do a live stream of our GoPro on the Internet during the race, but we can't figure out where to get an Internet connection at the track.   Maybe next year.

We are planning to be at the track on August 29th for open lapping, so we can tweak the car and the green drivers like myself can get a little bit of time in on the track.   

Looking forward to meeting and racing with you all!

bumkus wrote:

we can't figure out where to get an Internet connection at the track.

That's funny!

This might mean there won't be a Starbucks in Byers... (Hard to believe but there is a Starbucks in the grocery store in Bennett...)

I believe the BFE HPR track is, as my college professor put it, about ..five miles past "resume safe speed"...  smile

Bill

Ghetto Motorsports will not be attending.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

The kids back in the WORT art department crafted this gem.  BFE course map for your dash without the clutter.  Our WORT crew will play track roulette and see who picks the turn our transmission will grenade on...  (my pick is #7...)   Whoo hoo!  Money for nothing and the chicks are free!

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/profromdover_album/HPRLarge_zpsda76a481.jpg

Bill

After turning a total of 26 laps in two races, we are towing 1000 miles to be there. Don't ask me why.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Packed and ready to go. Had to get it done early due to work conflicts this week and next...

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/profromdover_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1ef86a26.jpg

Bill

Not to be picky, just watchin out...

What is stopping that top tool box from moving forward or backward off of the trailer?

Have fun out there!

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Excellent question Smithers! 

Alcohol may have been involved during that episode.  We'll have our chief safety officer and transport driver do a rethink on that prior to liftoff.

It's all fun and games until the Craftsman box comes through the back window...Yipes!

A year or so ago I had a load shift in the pickup (while pulling off the road to get a big gulp).  My cleverly designed wheeled rear axle work stand, with axle in it, rolled forward.  Yeah, no need to strap it since I had the wheels turned sideways.  Doofus.  It rolled forward and blew out the rear window in the pickup.  Sounded like an artillery shell going off.    tongue

Oh yeah, we'll get more straps on that dude.

Bill

wvumtnbkr wrote:

Not to be picky, just watchin out...

What is stopping that top tool box from moving forward or backward off of the trailer?

Have fun out there!

Bungee cord from the tool box handle to the car's grill.  Problem solved!

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Here’s a real gem from Vince back in the Tech Section of WORT world headquarters.  Should help any first timers.  It’s a real beauty utilizing data from Judge Phil’s pictures from last year’s BFE, Google maps, airborne thermal imaging from the NSA, and some other stuff Vince can’t talk about yet.  It’s great stuff like this that makes me wonder why in the world Vince got laid off from his gig with the Defense Mapping Agency.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/profromdover_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc9df7932.jpg

Bill