Topic: V12 Jaguar Edsel

Stuck the boroscope down the plug hole today. Piston looked okay, but we could see light coming up the intake port. Rotated the valve and it's not bent. The valve seat appears to have dropped on one side. I used to machine and install new seats in iron heads years ago, but is this viable with this aluminium head? Dang it, there goes the budget!
Mike Sr.

Re: V12 Jaguar Edsel

But once you get the valve seat fixed, the car will be perfect.

Oh, and I don't think there's any issue with replacing seats on normal aluminum heads. On a Jaguar, I couldn't tell you.

Dropped valve seats on Jag V-12s are very common.  Its very common to replace them.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

no matter what...FIX IT.....I would love to see it out there racing.....a Jag V12 in an edsel...that ROCKS.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

We are not about to bail on this project. It is one of those challenges that is so insane it has to be completed. If I can stay married for 36 years, this should be a piece of cake.
The ECU is not happening. Carbs of unusual placement will be the plan. Removing all the plumbing for fuel, AC and AIR makes the engine so much more attractive. This could be a really handsome engine. The obviously required "outdoor plumbing" pipes could have been prettier, but they are not too visible. I have a newfound respect for those brave souls that wrench on Jaguars.
I will be putting the take-offs on ebay unless someone here wants them: Smog system, AC compressor and fuel system(harness, injectors and rail). It's an '86.
Holiday stuff will prevent much more work for a bit. That said, Merry Christmas to all!

Mike Sr.

Best of Luck. I'm fortunate to have an expert mechanic that worked at a Jaguar dealership at the peak of the V12 days. Otherwise it would be near impossible to race our Jag.

I'll take the harness and injectors if you want. Can always use spares for our XJ-12. I can give you a FedEx number to pay for shippping. Let me know.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

I see that the harness is rather expensive, but I'd rather give it to a fellow competitor and wait for the karma. Email me your info and I'll send them out. If it arrives in time, wrap it and give it to the wife. HO HO HO!

mikesr83@yahoo.com

I suggest galvanized steel plumbing fittings for your new intake manifold.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Aluminum shower curtain rods!

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

MurileeMartin wrote:

We are thinking about several different ways,

1. Two 350 cfm 2 bbl holleys on elbows right off the Jaguar throttle body mounts.

2. Large elbows from  curving up and over the stock manifolds to a plenum and a 750 4 bbl.

3. Cut the stock intakes 2" from the bottom. Fabricate tubes to a center mounted plenum   
    with two 350's or three carbs of a smaller size. I think the 3 dueces would look coolest.

4. Fabricate 4 carb flanges on top of the stock intake logs. 4 Stromberg 97's would be
    awesome.

First we fix valve seat, then we get moose and squirrel.

Mike Sr.

11 (edited by mikesr 2009-12-19 01:33 PM)

Just scored 4 brand new in the box Ford variable venturi carbs for free from Ed's bro-in-law. Came from a closed Ford dealer scrap pile. Two should be plenty. These work pretty well when right. Oh boy! More new toys!

magnusracing wrote:

Best of Luck. I'm fortunate to have an expert mechanic that worked at a Jaguar dealership at the peak of the V12 days. Otherwise it would be near impossible to race our Jag.

I'll take the harness and injectors if you want. Can always use spares for our XJ-12. I can give you a FedEx number to pay for shippping. Let me know.

I couldn't agree more....  granted I'm not a pro wrench, but with help of other local 928 owners, it makes figuring out a well known complicated car MUCH easier.....

The Jag is the same.....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The more carburetors, the better. In fact, the more types of carburetors, the better! How about a Carter AFB flanked by a couple of Solex 32s?

Go with your #1 choice if you can. We spent hours on the engine dyno back in the day doing every type of combination you could think of but kept burning pistons on A bank 1 and 6 and B bank 1 and 6 because of the length of the runners. After a while we settled on a fabricated set of carb mounts. We cut the throttle body mount area off and opened it up and tig'd on our Holly setups. If you cant go with weber's then this is the best cheap answer and it works well but idle mixture can be a bit of a bitch. Just make sure you delete the crossover tube on the back of the manifold or it will never idle right.  I hope this helps

Maximo Pendejo

Oh boy, does this help. Thanks for the info. The 4 corners being lean makes sense. We don't have access to a dyno, so a conservative route based on your experience would be logical. Did I just say "logical"? Where the hell did that come from?

MurileeMartin wrote:

The more carburetors, the better. In fact, the more types of carburetors, the better! How about a Carter AFB flanked by a couple of Solex 32s?

Add a Fish and an updraft Marvel Schebler for the ultimate in atomization...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Pendejo wrote:

Go with your #1 choice if you can. We spent hours on the engine dyno back in the day doing every type of combination you could think of but kept burning pistons on A bank 1 and 6 and B bank 1 and 6 because of the length of the runners. After a while we settled on a fabricated set of carb mounts. We cut the throttle body mount area off and opened it up and tig'd on our Holly setups. If you cant go with weber's then this is the best cheap answer and it works well but idle mixture can be a bit of a bitch. Just make sure you delete the crossover tube on the back of the manifold or it will never idle right.  I hope this helps

Maximo Pendejo

Spoken from someone who has been there and done that with the Jag V12......  Pendejo is the 1st person I would talk to about any Jag in Lemons!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Yes, Pendejo got our Jag to actually FINISH the Thunderhill 2008 race. I think we even came in 24th or something despite at least an hour worth of black flag penalties and no rear brakes the second day. We pulled the motor on that Jag yesterday (the original motor blew a head gasket at Buttonwillow 2009) and are getting ready to put our "new" junkyard engine in. Fingers crossed. We're hoping to rip it up at Infineon... or not.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice