1 (edited by Profromdover 2014-09-26 03:07 PM)

Topic: Gaffed off by Toyota Racing Development for no reason we can think of.

I’m hopping mad, I tell ya! 

So this is the deal.  We, the Wine O racing Team and the magical 2000 Solara, managed to garner a wonderful little piece of welded trophy at BFE recently for not having engine parts spit out the bottom of the engine more than the other teams of C class.  Surfing off of that high we figured what the heck, let’s see if we can mooch some free stuff from the kids at Toyota Racing Development. 

Hey, emails don’t cost nuthin’ and we got a smokin’ hot Solara.  So there.  (Ok, smokin’ hot as far as clapped Solaras go might be more accurate)

To wit, my utter frustration in that these godless employees of a faceless corporation decided to not even acknowledge our transmittal without so much as a curt negative response indicating a polite “thank you, but we aren’t interested at this time, you circus freaks…”.  Does the Toyota corporation not take the mighty Lemons audience as serious purchasers of their vehicles?  (Note: purchasers, yes, retail price, in-warranty, maybe not so much…)  Do the employees of Toyota generally hold all Lemons teams, drivers, and all associated folks in a place of awesome reverence?  I would certainly expect so.  How can they cower behind the cloak of corporate automobiledom, if automobiledom is , in fact, a word, and be silent?

Maybe it was the way I worded the email.  Too terse?  Too demanding?  Too many comma splices and dangling participles?  How would I know?  I’m not an English Major!  Maybe they’re working on getting some stuff together.  I just don’t know! 

You be the judge!  This is what I sent those rat bastard no-account schmoes:

Date: September 9, 2014, 2:52:09 PM CDT

Subject: 24 Hours of Lemons Gold...

Attn: TRD Bunch

Dear Messrs. Boler, Kuchta, Wade, Wilson, Brown et al…,

Hello there!  We are the Wine O Racing Team based in the Fort Worth Texas area.  We are currently running a fine numbers-matching 2000 V-6 Solara in the 24 Hours of Lemons series.  (insert cringe here)  Our team consists of me, Larry, Dee (Larry’s wife), Lauren (Larry and Dee’s daughter) and my 16 year old son Jake.  That’s right about a half female team and the other half not females.  Since we started racing this past March we have run at Eagle Canyon Raceway in the DFW area, Sebring (yes, that Sebring!), and High Plains Raceway in Colorado.  All of them making it to the checker flag on Sunday afternoon.  Jake, with the ink wet on his driver’s license, got best team time at Sebring.  Who says Xbox is a waste of time?

This is just a quick note to advise you mopes of our racing team’s recent glorious win at 24 Hours of Lemons BFE GP at High Plains Raceway in Deer Trail Colorado this past weekend.  While we didn’t take overall first place (it’s a freakin’ Solara, thank you very much) we were able to squeak away with a Class C win shellacking the nearest competitor by 47-laps.  OK, so we weren’t fast.  Truth of the matter is that the rest of entire Class C grenaded and we were last car standing.  A veritable testament to the reliability of a 240K mile ‘yota.  So there.  You can use that…

So this is the deal.  You schlumps have a fabulous opportunity to cash in on this gold mine of a deal.  All you have to do is shower us with free junk that is just sitting around your warehouse collecting dust.  If you have any 1MZ-FE 3.0 L V-6 engines or supercharger kits laying around you can send them this way.  I mean really who buys that stuff anymore?  Accounting probably wants it off the books as well.  You have to move all that stuff to Texas as it is (Howdy and a big welcome by the way).  Since you’re loading up the truck toss a couple manual transmissions in there too.  Great way to save on shipping.  Just looking out for you.

Seeing as how you’re being so nice to us we really should reciprocate.  It’s just good manners.  That’s just the way we are in Texas.  So here’s a PR coup served to you on a silver platter.  We let you bring one of your fancy pants professional drivers (not a newbie, this car is too nice for some fuzzy cheeked yabo) to Lemons at MSR Houston in November and see what kind of numbers he/she can squeeze from this turnip.  No free ride dudes.  They’re going to have to cough for their share of expenses and beer and stuff.  And if any of those strap-hangers from the home office come with ‘em they better know where the local beer store is.  That goes for film crews too.  They’re the worst offenders.  Know what I mean?  Just sayin’…

Now if you want the Toyota logos back on the car that might be a problem because those sort of “fell off” when we were doing the paint job and went out with the recycling.  You’re on your own there.  Smitty down in the warehouse probably knows the part numbers.  Yup, send them with the engines, ‘charger, and the transmissions.  .  The freight companies are killin’ us these days.  Gotta consolidate…

Here’s the poop from last weekend.  We were the silver Solara, #47 in its Colorado motif…

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LCO14/LBFE14.html

Feel free to pass this to Dave Wilson (El Queso Grande).  He should be able to make it easy to deal with any silly paperwork.  Again, just trying to watch out for you guys.  And Don Brown.  He’s somebody there, I think.  Hey, I tried to get as many emails off the interweb as I could but that’s getting close to stalking if I dig any deeper.  Let’s go places dudes!

Respectfully submitted on behalf of the entire Wine O Racing Team,

Bill "Hard to believe I spun that bitch on turn 5” Goebel
Rhome, Texas

P.S.  If you have any guys named Hachirou or Kiyoshi who speak broken english but are whizzes on Solara’s have them stop by the house.  We’ll get some Sapporo beer and maybe clear some of these stupid codes…

Response to date?  Zip, zero, nada, nothing!  Maybe I should send this to Ann Landers.  I’ll bet she’ll send us a sticker or an autographed picture or something.  Nope.  No hard feelings Toyota.  We’re way more professional than that. 

Bastards….

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing
Co-Builder of the world's winningest Toyota Solara SVE

Re: Gaffed off by Toyota Racing Development for no reason we can think of.

I had a similar experience with Mazdaspeed.  Followed all of their rules regarding pics of car, race results, etc. 
I received no response at all but I was added to their email list so now they spam the crap out of me.

Now that we've sold the RX7, they can go F themselves.

Now I'm busy drafting a letter to Porsche explaining how they have a once in a lifetime opportunity to throw some factory support our way and make a triumphant return to the North American racing scene.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

"Triumphant"?  I do not think that word means what you think it means...

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing

I deal with a lot of carmaker PR guys in my writing job, and I often suggest getting some factory help for Lemons teams. Right now, only Hyundai and Mitsubishi seem to willing to even consider the idea, and that's probably just because the PR flacks I know at those places are former or current Lemons racers.

Danika never replied to our letter offering her a seat in the Tinyvette for our first race. Turns out that might have been a good thing.

So far Compuware has ignored us. I even "friended" them on Facebook, and occasionally would post Tinyvette tidbits on their wall. Still, nothing.

Saab Automobile AB doesn't return our calls, either.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

You think you have it bad.  Oldsmobile went so far as to stop existing several years before we even competed.  The nerve of some companies.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I sent an e-mail, with photo to Martini Racing.  The fabulous Martini Passat was sure to get some response or even support.  They're probably still laughing at Martini!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/WolfgangZ/TWS1_zpsc7f9702a.jpg

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

I deal with TRD engineers every year at the Chili Bowl.  The last few years they have gutted the staff at TRD.  It's pretty much 99% NASCAR.  I was somewhat involved with Spank on the ToyoHog and talked to them about it.  They were quite amused by but weren't super encouraging since the Prius isnt on their radar as a race car.  They said they'd do what they could as far as getting engineering help for the battery cutoff on the stock Prius Spank (then) wanted to run but it would have to come from Toyota proper.  The basic line at TRD is that if the model is not being raced with factory support, then they are prohibited from helping.  Yes, they race the Solara in NASCAR and NHRA but both are essentially funny cars that aren't related to the passenger car in any way.

In short, you won't hear back from them.  There's just nobody there to deal with this kind of stuff.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

To give you a little perspective on the general lack of interest in grassroots racing, we have a team member who has been racing a lotus exige cup car that has been uber developed with a V6 RAV4 engine and lots of time improving the suspension setup.  He has had national level success, and has competed with and beat Viper ACRs and Corvette's.  In general, his small team "mom and pop" approach has been going against million dollar funded teams at times.  He has approached Lotus through email and has gotten the cold shoulder.  He has been successful enough to cover his tires for the year just through race finishes but he gets nothing from Lotus.  If he was racing a Mustang or a RX-8 it would be different. 

So to think a Lemons team would get recognition from a manufacturer is probably not realistic. 

Having said that, I love the letter!!!!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

BoB wrote:

You think you have it bad.  Oldsmobile went so far as to stop existing several years before we even competed.  The nerve of some companies.

I know how you feel.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

BoB wrote:

You think you have it bad?   Try finding anyone who has even heard of a
Humber Super Snipe.   Not only does the company no longer exist, but the name
isn't in any auto store's computer, I have to make my own parts, and the threaded
hose fittings cannot be found anywhere.   In other words, it's a perfect Lemons car!

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Please take my criticism with a grain of salt.

But, frankly, you're letter is too long. I didn't read past the first line. The Wine-O racing bit up front automatically indicates you are not to be taken seriously. [Delete.]

I once ran a cycling team. The only "sponsorship" we got was because people liked us/felt sorry for us. The only way you're going to get the attention of ANY sponsor is if you A) know someone there or have some other connection or 2) you are giving them something they need and can't get from someone/somewhere else for less involvement/effort.

Start with what you want to do for them. Make it something concrete.

Ok, I just went back to read and it isn't until paragraph 3 that you ask for something and your request is non-specific.  It isn't until paragraph 4 that you offer something to them.

Here's an analogy (and yes, I already realize my response is too long and few people are likely reading this far down):

I live in San Diego and what I'm astounded by (being an East-coaster originally) is the number of people just simply asking for a handout. Standing at a corner with a carboard sign begging for money and in return they give you.... nothing. What ever happened to someone standing on the corner with a squeegee and offering to clean your windows? I was just in New Jersey and there was a guy with ice cold bottled water at the street corner near the airport and wanted $1 for a bottle. I GLADLY payed $1 for a bottle of water because it was hot and I know the same lukewarm bottle at the airport will be $3.85 plus tax. Sure, I know it cost him $.15 and he was making $.85 or more off of me, but he showed desire to earn money and initiative and even a service to satisfy a need I have. Use that same philosophy , if you're serious about soliciting sponsors, and START with what you are going to do to fill a specific need the solicited company has.

(and I realize it's probably illegal and likely to get one arrested if caught trying to "sell" water or window-washing service at a street corner but it's perfectly legal to panhandle and passively receive money at the same orner).

14 (edited by ninjacoco 2014-09-27 08:19 AM)

Judge Phil wrote:

I deal with a lot of carmaker PR guys in my writing job, and I often suggest getting some factory help for Lemons teams. Right now, only Hyundai and Mitsubishi seem to willing to even consider the idea, and that's probably just because the PR flacks I know at those places are former or current Lemons racers.

Yay, Mitsubishi! Another reason to love my daily driver, haha.

I actually ended up briefly chatting with a guy from Porsche Motorsport North America about amateur stuff: namely, do they do anything with club racing and other grassroots efforts? It's on their radar a bit--mostly in upper-level flavors like the new World Challenge one-make class and GT3 Cup--but honestly, given the amount of pro teams who field a Porsche, I don't know how any of those guys have time to take a whiz, much less study up on the myriad amateur series in existence.

Just the number of series where I can toss in a mostly stock 944 with safety bits in it is a bit mind-boggling: PCA, POC, NASA, SCCA, Lemons, ChumpCar, WRL, AER, SVRA, Your Mom's Local Racetrack Series, blah, blah, blah.

Getting to explain my Lemons 944 to PMNA folks was a highlight of the weekend, no doubt. "It's a series for cars that cost less than $500, and it's a parody of *points outside* this. I love my 944, but I'd eventually like to replace it with a more LeMony LeMon, like a Trabant." Hahahahaha.

So, I can believe Toyota's lack of personnel issue, sad to say. Motorsports--especially team sponsorship--is a hard sell even for companies that deal in motorsports. You've almost got to go beyond "I'll put your sticker on my car!" to "I'll be a returning customer in exchange for store credit" or "I'll actively hand out samples and send people to your delicious pie shop on race weekends." Stuff like that. I like the pro driver swap idea, though. There's a neat pitch for a promo video in those kinds of ideas...if they only had the extra staff to do it. sad

USAF and ANG and USAFR flat out said NO....we only sponsor Nascar and cars that do flips at X games and such.  Lower level out where the average person goes no way.  Funny thing is our team is made up of all USAF and it's components.   Which is a nice slap in the face. 

I'd like us to change our name to Chair Force but most would not understand.

I coincidentally just saw a pay out contingency check from a manufacturer for WINNING SCCA AUTOCROSS NATIONALS in class with a current production car. It was $1000. If winning a national championship they can brag about in advertisements, in a car that they are still making money on is only worth $1000, how much do you think merely racing in a 20 year old car they used to make in a series many people have never even heard of is worth to them?

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

So to think a Lemons team would get recognition from a manufacturer is probably not realistic.

Who said anything about being realistic? wink

I loved the letter, too. It would be sure to get some laughs at TRD and maybe some sympathy. I'd have thought a response letter in the same spirit would have been forthcoming.

When we took our car to the ALMS race at Laguna Seca the guys taking tickets pointed and laughed at our car (got the joke). When I drove down to the Corvette coral they laughed a different laugh and pointed towards the exit (didn't appreciate the joke). When we found the Corvette Racing garage and met Dan Binks, he told us he knew about our car and autographed our Tinyvette post card. Tommy Milner looked at the postcard and laughed, and autographed it. (I didn't offer him a seat in the Tinyvette.) So while our letters get ignored, showing up on their doorsteps at least gets a reaction.

Another example of a direct approach that didn't bear fruit but did get noticed, CrazyMike called P&G and told them about his car Scrubby. Soon afterwards P&G launched a new ad campaign where new Scrubbing Bubbles Beetles were touring the country.

Spank wrote:

The Wine-O racing bit up front automatically indicates you are not to be taken seriously.

Yipes!  I totally missed that part.  Yup, gotta get more serious.  Just kidding  That aint gonna happen.  tongue

Hey M610, you still have Danika's contact info?  She probably just got busy and forgot.  That's definitely the way to go I'm thinkin'. 

I wonder if we would have any worse luck with Studebaker or Borgward?

Bill

Red Lemons Racing wrote:

USAF and ANG and USAFR flat out said NO....we only sponsor Nascar and cars that do flips at X games and such.  Lower level out where the average person goes no way.  Funny thing is our team is made up of all USAF and it's components.   Which is a nice slap in the face. 

Any Marine would.  The hierarchy of who gets on a Marine helicopter in a war zone:

1) Combat Marines (snipers get preference)
2) Navy Corpsman
3) Other Marines and Chaplains
4) Army
5) Contractors
6) Reporters with a nice behind
7) Local Nationals
8) Air Force

The Marines' interpretation of an old slogan when referring to the Air Force: "Never have so many, do so little, for so few, in such desperate need, until so very late, do to any good."

If the USAF did not have the A10, The Marines would deny their very existence.

This coming from a Contractor (former Air Force) that bribed his way on to may a Sea Stallion with AA batteries and homemade rice crispy treats.

Oh, wait...is it a different USAF you were talking about?

ninjacoco wrote:

like a Trabant."

Sweet.  What could be better than a Trabant?  A 2CV?  Or a Trabant AND a 2CV dukin' it out.  Or maybe something good looking like an Autocars Carmel...

Wow, this sponsorship thing sounds like real work.  We're just pimpin' for free stuff.  Cuz, ya know, the world adores us and junk, because were Lemons... 

Work for swag?  That's funny... smile

Bill

I had a very nice chat with someone who was not admitting what level of PR level she was for SC Johnson regarding Scrubbing Bubbles and some sort of mutual benefit. When I explained that we were doing the marque no harm, and if they were curious they could Google (tm) Crazy mike and Scrubbing Bubbles or Scrubby to see for themselves, I was greeted with "we know EXACTLY what you are doing, and could you send us a Written Proposal?".
I have yet to send a written proposal, and then they stole my idea of having a fleet of VW-based Scrubbing Bubbles.

The nerve.

Maybe we'll refocus the marketing efforts of our WORT worldwide headquarters staff to go after the MD 20-20 folks directly.  They'll never expect that.  Classic flanking maneuver...

Plus, we have a rust hole on a fender that we could use a sponsor sticker to cover...  We'll keep you updated on our pending success!

Bill

23 (edited by Red Lemons Racing 2014-09-28 08:00 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
Red Lemons Racing wrote:

Any Marine would.  The hierarchy of who gets on a Marine helicopter in a war zone:

1) Combat Marines (snipers get preference)
2) Navy Corpsman
3) Other Marines and Chaplains
4) Army
5) Contractors
6) Reporters with a nice behind
7) Local Nationals
8) Air Force

The Marines' interpretation of an old slogan when referring to the Air Force: "Never have so many, do so little, for so few, in such desperate need, until so very late, do to any good."

If the USAF did not have the A10, The Marines would deny their very existence.

This coming from a Contractor (former Air Force) that bribed his way on to may a Sea Stallion with AA batteries and homemade rice crispy treats.

Oh, wait...is it a different USAF you were talking about?

Tell the Marine's to fly their own helicopter across the Atlantic.  I'll gladly not load another CH=53E again.  Oh and they can leave those POS leaky sieves in Djibouti Dijibouti

Marines have a different job.  They enjoy their's and I enjoy mine.  We are not chair force members.

You'll get a faster and more comprehensive reply to any themed sponsorship inquiry if you include a pre-written Cease and Desist order.

We got nothin from stihl regarding their supercharger either...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!