Re: Gaffed off by Toyota Racing Development for no reason we can think of.

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

We got nothin from stihl regarding their supercharger either...

i think the problem might have been that you couldn't see the stihl logo from outside the car without the hood popped. maybe they'd take it more seriously if they could show it off while on track?
mediocrecharger2.3?

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

crazymike wrote:

You'll get a faster and more comprehensive reply to any themed sponsorship inquiry if you include a pre-written Cease and Desist order.

That sounds like good advice.  Thanks Mike!

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

You might get a quicker response if you drop the car off in the intended sponsor's parking lot.

Parkwod60 wrote:

I coincidentally just saw a pay out contingency check from a manufacturer for WINNING SCCA AUTOCROSS NATIONALS in class with a current production car. It was $1000. If winning a national championship they can brag about in advertisements, in a car that they are still making money on is only worth $1000, how much do you think merely racing in a 20 year old car they used to make in a series many people have never even heard of is worth to them?

To be honest, Lemons coverage on C/D gets more eyeballs than anything written about autocross anywhere. Press is the deciding factor in contingency money, no?

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

m610 wrote:

You might get a quicker response if you drop the car off in the intended sponsor's parking lot.

They would probably have it towed and crushed.  Actually not a bad thing...

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing
Co-Builder of the world's winningest Toyota Solara SVE

Buy a Ford, Then you'll really know the meaning of getting screwed.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

32 (edited by Drdanteiii 2014-09-29 08:27 AM)

BoB wrote:

You think you have it bad.  Oldsmobile went so far as to stop existing several years before we even competed.  The nerve of some companies.

we're still waiting for the response to the letter we dropped off at this Merkur dealership.

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7422/9599231148_ac94e6ec04.jpg

Honestly, I'm amazed that anyone here would have taken themselves seriously enough to expect a response about sponsorship from a manufacturer.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

33 (edited by TheEngineer 2014-09-29 08:36 AM)

My dad dumps so much money into a local Sullivan Tire store to maintain the family's fleet of cars that we decided to ask about sponsorship. We figured at best we'd get a set of tires. They said they'd mount a set for free. Money saved is money saved.

I should write Chrysler. They seem to be focused on performance cars with the new hellcat stuff. I should ask if they have any old mopar upgrade parts for the daytona kicking around. Maybe an S60 turbo.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I've actually been thinking of sending a letter to the Ransom E Olds Museum, thinking maybe I'll get a bumper sticker from them.  If I'm lucky I can start a relationship so when we are done with the Ciera I can donate it and it will become a museum piece.  One probably shove out in the back of a dark room that no one sees, but still.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BRB, going to write ford an email to see if they will send me a 2015 mustang with an ecoboost 2.3 to "test" the endurance of the 2.3t. Might help them get past the folks that remember the 4 pot turbo mustangs of the eighties less than stellar reliability and performance.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Drdanteiii wrote:

Honestly, I'm amazed that anyone here would have taken themselves seriously enough to expect a response about sponsorship from a manufacturer.

I don't think anyone actually does.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

37 (edited by crashandburn 2014-09-29 01:52 PM)

Drdanteiii wrote:

Nothing ventured....nothing gained!.....................worse they can do is say no!

I got a minor sponsorship on the Tetanus Passat by showing the owner of a local garage some pictures and bam........mounts all my tires for free, removes and presses bearings for free, helps locate parts..etc.

It's not much, but like someone else said the money you save can be put to other uses.

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

38 (edited by OnkelUdo 2014-09-29 01:55 PM)

crashandburn wrote:
Drdanteiii wrote:

Nothing ventured....nothing gained!.....................worse they can do is say no!

I got a minor sponsorship on the Tetanus Passat by showing the owner of a local garage some pictures and bam........mounts all my tires for free, removes and presses bearings for free, helps locate parts..etc.

It's not much, but like someone else said the money you save can be used to buy more beer and bacon.

FTFY

I take myself very seriously about my "sponsorship"

It may be more profitable to ask for money to take someone's name/logo OFF the car...

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

jimbo_se-r wrote:

It may be more profitable to ask for money to take someone's name/logo OFF the car...

LOL

I found out one of my vender's sons raced in SCCA up north while talking about Lemons. The company sent us some shirts and bought some fuel or entry fee or something to help us out, but specifically DID NOT want their name on the car.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

42 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2014-10-06 02:39 PM)

jimbo_se-r wrote:

I intend to threaten Boardwalk Ferrari Maserati that I will put their name all over my Biturbo if they don't pony up.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

jimbo_se-r wrote:

That's it! I'll email Martin Winterkorn (CEO VW) AND Matthias Muller (Porsche) and we'll get double sponsor $$ NOT to put EITHER of their companies names on our Super! Beetle!

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

I emailed MG at their new world headquarters, and couldn't even read the reply.

Sincerely,
"南京汽车集团有限公司"

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xAitzyvu--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18ay4ci5wbjudjpg.jpg

Jay did a "nonsorship" program a while back, in which we put REDACTED decals over all Fords, allegedly due to a payoff by Ford.

BoB wrote:

I've actually been thinking of sending a letter to the Ransom E Olds Museum...

Wait, your team races a Reo?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
BoB wrote:

I've actually been thinking of sending a letter to the Ransom E Olds Museum...

Wait, your team races a Reo?

Oldsmobiles...The women love 'em...  Especially Lucille... and then there's the "Automobubbling".  Not gonna see that in an E30 beemer...

In My Merry Oldsmobile

Young Johnny Steele has an Oldsmobile
He loves his dear little girl
She is the queen of his gas machine
She has his heart in a whirl
Now when they go for a spin, you know,
She tries to learn the auto, so
He lets her steer, while he gets her ear
And whispers soft and low...

They love to "spark" in the dark old park
As they go flying along
She says she knows why the motor goes
The "sparker" is awfully strong
Each day they "spoon" to the engine's tune
Their honeymoon will happen soon
He'll win Lucille with his Oldsmobile
And then he'll fondly croon...

Chorus

Come away with me, Lucille
In my merry Oldsmobile
Down the road of life we'll fly
Automobubbling, you and I
To the church we'll swiftly steal
Then our wedding bells will peal
You can go as far as you like with me
In my merry Oldsmobile.

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing
Co-Builder of the world's winningest Toyota Solara SVE

Cart before the horse my friends... Start Small.

"I'll let you slap a sticker on my car if I can borrow your alignment machine for an hour"  "OK, sure"

Then you can tell the manufacturer, "Hey, don't miss this great chance, see how well Mom and Pop Garage are doing now that I put their sticker on my clunker?"

It worked for me.... well the first part....  I'm too busy wrenching to email Ford.

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

one of these days, one of the OEMs with a sense of humor, and a stellar Lemons track record to brag about is going to do so. I'm certain the old Volvo, from before the Ford days would have done it. Saturn may have, if they still existed. Kia probably would, if they had any track record to speak of besides the Kia pet winning class C. Mazda maybe?

I'm certain folks over at Ram would love to make a commercial featuring a certain flathead powered Dodge truck that just wouldn't die.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

I'm expecting a full pentastar sponsorship once people realize simcas are winning at things.