Re: You don't have to be fast to win Lemons... or do you?

Sounds like Lightneing McQueen might have an LSD.  Good handling plus an LSD will really help through the turns and exiting them.

If you can find a tire with more grip that will help too.

Basically, you need traction to put the power down so see how that can be improved and go from there.

Unfortunately, for most pre-1989 Z cars, LSD is rare and expensive.

Our diff is welded which is a debated topic.  It does give the car a push so we can only be on the gas to much exiting a turn.  We figure that's better than spinning the inside tire.

We've been in pursuit of more traction for a while now.  There does seem to be a lot under Miatas and BMWs.

Regarding a good race, I'd like a race without break downs and penalties.  The penalties tend to screw us more than mechanics.

We'd like to win to break the Z Curse and I've got to agree that a flawless race would be more stressful but I like the challenge.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

if you really want to "win"....you have to be VERY serious and LUCKY too...you need 4 solid drivers and a dedicated pit crew + crew chief (not the other drivers)...at least one crew member + the crew chief....its also a good idea to have a couple spotters with radios looking for yellow flags...so that is 2 more people and 2 more radios.....don't forget a driving suit for the dedicated crew member who handles fuel too.....    all these people need food-lodging-etc...so it quickly adds up...& thats if they work for FREE?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

At The Lamest Day we won the race and our best lap was number 25 overall. We won the race in the pits. As an example we changed tires, checked brake pads, adjusted camber, refueled, and changed drivers with about 6 minutes off the track.

icemang17 wrote:

if you really want to "win"....you have to be VERY serious and LUCKY too...you need 4 solid drivers and a dedicated pit crew + crew chief (not the other drivers)...at least one crew member + the crew chief....its also a good idea to have a couple spotters with radios looking for yellow flags...so that is 2 more people and 2 more radios.....don't forget a driving suit for the dedicated crew member who handles fuel too.....    all these people need food-lodging-etc...so it quickly adds up...& thats if they work for FREE?

Are you serious?  The only way we can get anyone to the track is if they are driving the race car!  We have 4 people on the team they happen to also be the 4 drivers.

When we pit, the driver gets out of the car and picks up the fire bottle to watch while the next driver, all ready, in Nomex, fuels.  The new driver sets down the fuel jugs then jumps in the car, and the third guy gets him strapped and plugged.  While that's going on, the previous driver buttons up the fuel lid and cleans up.  The fourth guy checks for leaks and damage and lubes the chain. 

See?  Simple.  You regular drivetrain guys can skip that last step.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Alex, I'm confused. At what point do we switch on the the efficient german discothèque lighting?

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

GnomeFabTech wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

Are you serious?  The only way we can get anyone to the track is if they are driving the race car!  We have 4 people on the team they happen to also be the 4 drivers.

When we pit, the driver gets out of the car and picks up the fire bottle to watch while the next driver, all ready, in Nomex, fuels.  The new driver sets down the fuel jugs then jumps in the car, and the third guy gets him strapped and plugged.  While that's going on, the previous driver buttons up the fuel lid and cleans up.  The fourth guy checks for leaks and damage and lubes the chain. 

See?  Simple.  You regular drivetrain guys can skip that last step.

& you WON with only two guys total right?  So having 4 must be a luxury for you?  :>) 

Want to see a serious endurance racing team in action...go to the 25 hour of Thunderhill.....where there might be 10+ crew members on a team, not counting drivers

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

From what I've seen, most of the overall winners have a dedicated crew chief who doesn't drive.

Mick25 wrote:

.. Lightning McQueen flat out spanked the majority of the cars out on the track from the center of the turn off  ... he was not that fast from point A to B in a straight line compared to some of the cars...

I disagree.  They WERE that fast from point A to B.  We have a very powerful car.  When traffic allowed us to get down into 2nd gear going around turn 6 (I think) heading into the long straight we would FLY passed just about everyone..... except Lightning McQueen.  They out handled us and beat us in a drag race.  Never got tangled up with White Lightning but you can tell they went balls to the wall from the second the green flag dropped.  Both were complete teams:  Skillful, consistient, safe, lucky, and yes, very fast.

soldmystang wrote:

yeah, but we are planning on running.  so what are we chopped liver?   smile
it's kinda like losing your virginity Dude; just relax, it will happen sooner or later.

No disrespect meant.  As the winners of CMP Spring '09 you guys are definitely a team we fear and will keep our eyes on.  You were in the paddock next to us during the race you won and I can say from seeing it first hand that your team is top notch.  We were also very entertained by the new car on your team (Magnum PU.)  Every time they drove by that damn tune would be in my head for awhile.

I guess I am doing a poor job of getting my point across.  I'm not saying we are obsessed with winning and if we don't we won't be having fun, what I'm say is What I'm saying is:  a 90 hp (fill in the blank) may have been enough at some of the other races but at CMP last fall, they would not have been in the top two (probably not in the top 5) no matter how fantastic they drove.  Too many teams are lucky, consistent, clean, skillful, AND fast.

GnomeFabTech wrote:

...Are you serious?  The only way we can get anyone to the track is if they are driving the race car!  We have 4 people on the team they happen to also be the 4 drivers...

Same with us.  We have several people that want to join the team as drivers but none that just want to work.  We would rather in be just the 4 of us and have more seat time.

If that is the only way to win, we will have to proudly take our 4th place and continue taking the abuse from the judges for again failing to win in a worthless Z.

Hey well here is one guy that just wants to come and work and dont want to drive so?

i must admit BlackSheep1, we also noticed the caliber of teams at Fall 09 did seem to  be cranked up a notch or two.  apparently the top five have it turned up to "11".  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

BlackSheep1 wrote:

As the winners of CMP Spring '09 you guys are definitely a team we fear and will keep our eyes on.  You were in the paddock next to us during the race you won and I can say from seeing it first hand that your team is top notch.

The funny thing is we don't even consider ourselves even close to 'top notch'.  Three of our five drivers had done many HPDEs, but the other two were pretty green.  We didn't have any ringer drivers, in fact none of us had ANY racing experience, but the Lighning McQueen guys did.  None of us really "work on cars" either.  Hell two of those five can barely turn a wrench.  We are all just ordinary Joe's who went to have a good time.

BlackSheep1 wrote:

We were also very entertained by the new car on your team (Magnum PU.)  Every time they drove by that damn tune would be in my head for awhile.

Thanks!  We wanted that to be funny, slightly entertaining, but not too annoying.

Like others have said, 4th is a very respectable finish.  Just think how the Lightning McQueen guys feel after finishing second...TWICE.

We will be in garages #1 and #2 this year so we look forward to seeing and racing with you guys again real soon.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

soldmystang wrote:

i must admit BlackSheep1, we also noticed the caliber of teams at Fall 09 did seem to  be cranked up a notch or two.  apparently the top five have it turned up to "11".  smile

the bar at CMP gets raised every time...but i donh't understand why they don't just make "10" better.  wink

CMP is definitely a track where a lack of power can hurt, esp if you can't maintain your momentum around the turns b/c of traffic or (in my case) lack of talent.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

MurileeMartin wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

I know this is going to sound crazy, and it goes against everything we racers want, but winning isn't everything.

Winning the IOE is everything!

Then drop the prize money for first completely, and add that amount to IOE... then you will see more interesting races.. until then, first is first wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

gielamonster wrote:

Alex, I'm confused. At what point do we switch on the the efficient german discothèque lighting?

As soon as it's dark my friend.  I'll hire an extra man with an electrician's union card to flip that switch if that's what it takes.

icemang17 wrote:

& you WON with only two guys total right?  So having 4 must be a luxury for you?  :>) 

Want to see a serious endurance racing team in action...go to the 25 hour of Thunderhill.....where there might be 10+ crew members on a team, not counting drivers

Why do people think that?  We had four drivers for the 2008 race.

Tony Silva
Colin Drobnis
Chris Hamilton
Alex Vendler

The same 4 that took us to 12th place one year later.  Tony is our crew chief, I am the mechanic, Chris is in charge of food and lodging, and Colin is the "hot shoe".

GnomeFabTech wrote:

We essentially do the same thing, except the driver getting out of the car is the one to fill, and the driver getting in the car has the extinguisher. That way, if any fuel spills, it's on the driver who's about to take off their racing suit instead of the driver who is getting in the car (and will have do deal with fuel fumes and potential fire danger).

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

that's good thinking.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

LTDScott wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:

We essentially do the same thing, except the driver getting out of the car is the one to fill, and the driver getting in the car has the extinguisher. That way, if any fuel spills, it's on the driver who's about to take off their racing suit instead of the driver who is getting in the car (and will have do deal with fuel fumes and potential fire danger).

The issue for us at CMP this fall was the cool suit.  We were explicitly told we could not add ice during a stop in the hot pits...driver change and fuel only.  We REALLY liked having the cool suit and opted to go back to our pits just so we could recharge it.  It shouldn't be an issue in February since we don't plan on needing any additional driver cooling.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Many races, the win is decided by one incident. Maybe it was the winner that had a Get Out Of Jail Free card still in hand when black-flagged with a 2-lap lead and 10 minutes to go (yes, this has happened), or the near-winner that miscalculated the amount of fuel needed to finish (this has happened several times).

It's pretty rare that the winner has both zero mechanical issues and zero black flags. Any medium-fast car (that is, a car that can run a quicker lap time than 60% of the other cars) that stays 100% reliable and is 100% penalty free will nearly always take the overall win for sure. It's those little nickel/dime time-burners that make it interesting; for example, the reason the Mustard Yellow V8olvo had to go on that lunatic run for the last 30 minutes of the Buttonwillow race was the time it lost due to a flat tire the day before.

45 (edited by zigm 2009-12-22 07:09 PM)

Ok.... this post has brought out the Ross Perot in me.
Please find the attached chart for your viewing pleasure. 

CMP Finsh vs Best Lap

It's a simple plot of CMP Fall finish position vs. best lap time (data courtesy of Mylaps.com).  In theory, the best lap time should show each car's "raciness quotient"", since everyone gets at least one clean traffic-free lap in during the weekend.

My observations:
1.   McQueen and White Lightning were smoking fast.  Only 3 other cars were on par with them. (Kudos to you guys... motivates our team to try harder!)

2.  Finish positions #3 & #4 weren't too shabby either!

3.  43 cars had lap times equal to or better than the #5 finisher... Lots of contenders that just need luck/pitstops/reliability/gooddrivers/noblackflags to crack the top 5.

4.  I'm thinking about this way too hard.

See yall in February!

http://webpages.charter.net/zigm89/misc/CMP%20Fall%202009.jpg

William
Team SOB

zigm wrote:

Please find the attached chart for your viewing pleasure. 

CMP Finsh vs Best Lap

It's a simple plot of CMP Fall finish position vs. best lap time (data courtesy of Mylaps.com).  In theory, the best lap time should show each car's "raciness quotient"", since everyone gets at least one clean traffic-free lap in during the weekend.

My observations:
1.   McQueen and White Lightning were smoking fast.  Only 3 other cars were on par with them. (Kudos to you guys... motivates our team to try harder!)

2.  Finish positions #3 & #4 weren't too shabby either!

3.  43 cars had lap times equal to or better than the #5 finisher... Lots of contenders that just need luck/pitstops/reliability/gooddrivers/noblackflags to crack the top 5.

4.  I'm thinking about this way too hard.

See yall in February!

http://webpages.charter.net/zigm89/misc … 202009.jpg

MUST RESIST OPENING EXCEL.......resistance is futile.....must find link to arsefreeze results....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

zigm wrote:

Please find the attached chart for your viewing pleasure...http://webpages.charter.net/zigm89/misc … 202009.jpg

Great job and thanks for the graph.  I had come up with several excel sheets on different data to analyze at each race we do but never thought to do that.  Guess I missed a car when I was looking at fastest lap.  We had the 6th fastest lap(maybe even 7th) of the event, not 5th like I had stated earlier.

Found this interesting:  Look at the two upwards spikes around 30th place.  Those two cars are obviously a couple of the slowest cars out there yet finished in very respectable positions.  I'm guessing they drove a very clean, penalty/accident/breakdown free race.

I'm also guessing that one of the downward spikes near the back of the pack was the Police Brutality car.  That car was blazing fast but was not on the track the entire race.  If they work out their reliablity issues, they will be very hard to beat also.

We had the second fastest lap at New Orleans and finished 6th. Why? Early on Saturday we got a 4 wheels off black flag. 30 minutes off the track put us 14 laps down to the leader at the finish. One boo-boo screwed our chances to win.

BlackSheep1 wrote:

I'm also guessing that one of the downward spikes near the back of the pack was the Police Brutality car.  That car was blazing fast but was not on the track the entire race.  If they work out their reliablity issues, they will be very hard to beat also.

The car has well over 2,000 Lemons laps, plus miles and miles of dirt track on it. There aren't "reliability issues," it was just worn out.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:
BlackSheep1 wrote:

The car has well over 2,000 Lemons laps, plus miles and miles of dirt track on it. There aren't "reliability issues," it was just worn out.

My apologies if my comments sounded insulting.  On the contrary, was trying to give props for having a car that will be hard to beat. 

You guys had one of my favorite themes at the last CMP race and your car was flat badass.