Re: You don't have to be fast to win Lemons... or do you?

No offence taken. It really IS worn-out. cool

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Loren wrote:
BlackSheep1 wrote:

You are absolutely right about us not lacking power (although our turbo 6 did somehow lose in a drag race going down the straights to a NA 4 banger VW.)  We are lacking the speed to be able to beat the top two at CMP.  THAT is what I am trying to figure out.

The answer is simple.

Hole shot.  You didn't have it.

If you've tamed to car such that you can now get on the gas firmly at the apex and get an earlier start on your acceleration, you'll keep up.  I guarantee you that's exactly what the McQueen car was doing.  (in addition to being extremely light and probably having a dose of cheatonium in the engine bay)

Found this video today from the TAJ Racing guys.  Fast forward to the 1:00 mark and watch the Lightning McQueen car on the restart.  This is one of the reason these guys have finished second twice.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

it's at about the 1:30 mark, and yep...ridiculous.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Awesome video, I was watching and thinking "yep, black flag.  yep, another".  It made me drool at the thought of being there in 4 weeks, though!!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Lightning McQueen has what it takes, not so much car, but drivers. Their car -IS- light and stiff, which is great, but when i was piloting a 98 CVPI in the spring race i could go toe-to-toe with them. It was a little bit of a reality check when the SuperKak mustang blew our doors off. I actually have video in-car of the moment you could see me spending like 3 laps catching them, pulling on them, then losing out to them coming off the corners because i was dealing with a porker car, then when the stang passed it was like "forget this, i have a new target" and i got around them and pulled away for about 2 laps. Of course, i never caught the mustang, so i lost the rhythm and they caught back up. I went in for my scheduled driver rotation and was a little miffed to hear i was in 4th!! (this was the opening hours of spring south 09) I was still pretty fresh and could have spent another 30-45minutes out there, but oh well. all our stuff was paddock visits instead of hot pitting. still finished in the top 20, so consistency and reliability matter more than speed, but not as much as luck.

Serj wrote:

Lightning McQueen has what it takes, not so much car, but drivers. Their car -IS- light and stiff, which is great, but when i was piloting a 98 CVPI in the spring race i could go toe-to-toe with them. It was a little bit of a reality check when the SuperKak mustang blew our doors off. I actually have video in-car of the moment you could see me spending like 3 laps catching them, pulling on them, then losing out to them coming off the corners because i was dealing with a porker car, then when the stang passed it was like "forget this, i have a new target" and i got around them and pulled away for about 2 laps. Of course, i never caught the mustang, so i lost the rhythm and they caught back up. I went in for my scheduled driver rotation and was a little miffed to hear i was in 4th!! (this was the opening hours of spring south 09) I was still pretty fresh and could have spent another 30-45minutes out there, but oh well. all our stuff was paddock visits instead of hot pitting. still finished in the top 20, so consistency and reliability matter more than speed, but not as much as luck.

I'd like to see that video.  All the CV's I ran against out there were only good in the straights and terrible in the corners.  What was the color combo of yours?  I may have some video of your car as well from that race.

Captain

With this weekend being my first road race, do you just "fire" whenever the closest light/flag  you see turns green? Thanks!

58 (edited by VKZ24 2010-02-02 06:09 AM)

jmitch wrote:

With this weekend being my first road race, do you just "fire" whenever the closest light/flag  you see turns green? Thanks!

There is only ONE green flag station and it's at the start/finish.  If you are on the back portion of the course with no radio you won't know the green flag is waving until the cars behind and in front of you leave you in the dust.

Also if this is your first race PLEASE attend the school they are having on Friday.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
Serj wrote:

I'd like to see that video.  All the CV's I ran against out there were only good in the straights and terrible in the corners.  What was the color combo of yours?  I may have some video of your car as well from that race.

Orange Crown Vic maybe?

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Actually I have raced a few times at Sebring(short course) but the sanctioning body was the short track asphalt series I raced in(circle track). We weren't allowed to pass after a yellow until we went past the flag stand. Two of our drivers have ZERO racing experience but we are ALL going to attend the school. Thanks!

soldmystang wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
Serj wrote:

Orange Crown Vic maybe?

No, the White #42 that's soft out of the slow corners and just starts reeling in everyone towards the middle of the straight. usually we've had enough rubber and brakes under us for the CMP races we've been at to beat some others through the corners too.  It's usually coming off 4-5 is where we don't have enough bottom-end or throttle response and the lighter stuff gets in front of us just in time for the back straight. the car will run 1:07s all day but we kinda kiss it away in the pits. If you look at the Spring09 finishing order we're basically the heaviest car in the top 40