Topic: Where do you get your car weighed?

I want to know what our car weighs out of morbid curiosity.  The local truck stop says the scales won't be acurate, or may not even register) our small car.  We have scales at work here, but we are the type of "big bad corporation" with nazi-like rules were I could get fired if they even found out I THOUGHT about using the scales here at work, much less actually used them.

So where can I get my car weighed?

Re: Where do you get your car weighed?

How about if you take your car apart one piece at a time and use your bathroom scale, just have to subtract your own weight each time smile

It Ain't My Fault

Not sure about the area you live in but here in Tampa, Waste Management has a drop off site for garbage.  You can pull in, get weighed, not drop anything off, get weighed again and they will give you a printout showing the two weight ins.  Since there should be no difference, they will not charge you anything.

Landfill
Scrap Metal yard
Junkyard

BTW- The operator at the truck stop is a moron.  Those scales should measure a car just fine.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:

Landfill
Scrap Metal yard
Junkyard

BTW- The operator at the truck stop is a moron.  Those scales should measure a car just fine.

At Buttonwillow, we sweet-talked our way onto the scales in Wasco/Shafter/whatever the crap the town is called.  The scale (CAT) has several modes, and several pads.  The front pad is for the cab, the rear pad is for the trailer.  We had to put the car on the front-most pad, and he had to figure out how to switch it to "low-range" mode.

Took some screwing around to figure it out, but we got our weight, and they didn't even charge us.  smile  Normally $10.

Chris

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

Or you could take the car to test-n-tune day at your local dragstrip. They'll have a scale, plus you can practice for future Lemons Drag-O-Rama events!

7 (edited by Evil Genius 2009-12-21 01:18 PM)

Most race shops have scales..  We have 'em        Tons of SCCA and NASA racers have their own sets of scales.. find one near you.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Wight down the woad there's a cute wittow wexus.......

MurileeMartin wrote:

you can practice for future Lemons Drag-O-Rama events!

Sort of like this?

http://www.billetproof.com/billetproofv … tegoryid=3

That was a fun day, even as just a spectator.  My '37 Plymouth wasn't quite up to the tech inspection, what with them wanting seat belts and all.  So demanding....

Mike Harrell

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Growing up in corn country I've been able to weigh my vehicles at any grain silo.  The scales are usually still active even when the silo is closed.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

MurileeMartin wrote:

Or you could take the car to test-n-tune day at your local dragstrip. They'll have a scale, plus you can practice for future Lemons Drag-O-Rama events!

any chance the drag-o-rama can happen at thunder hill? lol

I am strongly in favor of drag racing with Lemons.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

Drag racing killed our transmission!

http://www.bored383.com/gallery/albums/album05/20090627143_G.jpg

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

That picture is great, everyone must have thought WTF when you showed up.

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

ecugrad wrote:

Landfill
Scrap Metal yard
Junkyard

No, scales are designed to work in a specific range, and in this case, a car weight is a small % of the designed scale range... I think the operator is right on, and you'd have to weigh with a truck on it too, or it will be way off. Here's an experiment you can do to demonstrate it. take something small and put it on the bathroom scale. Now do it with you on it, then you alone, taking the difference as the object weight. You will see its way different that trying to weigh something on the bottom end of the scale range.. Its just how it is....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.