Topic: Dune Buggy Seat

Are racing dune buggy seats, if they are non reclining, legal?

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: Dune Buggy Seat

Because it says SFI or FIA is only "recommended" I would guess yes.  Depending on which ones you are talking about they are all kinds of uncomfortable and lack any decent support.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

in theory yes its "legal"...but I would NOT run one.....does the word "whiplash" mean anything to you? 

Safety should NEVER be compromised..... a proper race seat, harness and cage is money well spent.....  A HANS device is also a good idea....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Not to mention the reduction in the level of driver fatigue attributable to a seat that keeps you in place.  When you're not fighting as hard to stay in your seat, you have more time to concentrate on not PIT-maneuvering the guy next to you.
Seats like the Kirkey Intermediate are cheap; Summit usually has them for ~$149. 
Remember, if you have a $20 head, buy a $20 helmet.  Don't try to save $$$ on safety equipment.  smile

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

5 (edited by bigds01 2009-12-22 07:21 PM)

It was not a saving money thing, but a I have a hugely fat ass comfort thing.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

bigds01...email sent

We are the people your parents warned you about.

I saw, thank you very much

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

bigds01 wrote:

Believe me, I feel your pain.  At 5' 10", 340lb, 42" waist, we needed a big seat for me.  I fit just nicely in the 18" wide Kirkey Intermediate.

TST, fool.

casadelshawn wrote:
bigds01 wrote:

Believe me, I feel your pain.  At 5' 10", 340lb, 42" waist, we needed a big seat for me.  I fit just nicely in the 18" wide Kirkey Intermediate.

we run a Racetech Wide 4009WHR seat at 16.5" wide (normal is 14")...I'm 6-1, 200lbs with about a 35" waist and I have a hard time fitting in the standard seat....but the wide is perfect...I actually have a smidge of wiggle room! 

A good seat reducing driver fatigue is a great point....  all of our drivers are in the car for 2+ hours & I was worried about fatigue....but felt great getting out of car after nearly 2 hours.....all my drivers were worried about fatigue and everyone that got out said they could have gone LONGER!!!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

said they could have gone LONGER!!!!!!

We're guys, that's what we always say...

TST, fool.

in a tall, sporty stock seat in our vic, usually im beat after about 90 or so minutes. I'm 5'11, 300+ lbs and got an 18" Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat from my cage builder. at NL I went 2H to fuel stop, got out, felt good, got back in... TWICE. I finally got out at 4am as I was starting to feel the fatigue setting in... Roughly 6hours in the hot seat with 10minute rests every 2hours. that's a DRASTIC reduction in fatigue. Even at 4am i was still mentally "there", just not physically.

DO NOT try to replicate a seat time that long. I was only posting that to point out the Amount of fatigue reduction possible simply from the RIGHT kind of seat. a Factor of 3 should be well worth the $250-$300 for a Kirkey+Seat pad or a Corbeau Forza II Wide.

I'm running a Beard suspension seat that was in out of our Desert race truck and its comfy anf has steel frame .

$150

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!