1 (edited by kyvinaria 2009-12-22 12:15 AM)

Topic: Slowest Car to date?

I've been looking for a little while, and I still haven't heard much about the slowest LeMon's car to be entered

I've heard talk of the '81 Malibu or the '87 Lada Signet (From our Comrades at Total Loss Racing), but have there been any other really, really slow entries?

I'm mostly asking because I'm afraid of how slow our car will be, and want some perspective

Re: Slowest Car to date?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/08/500x_LBW09-Top-72-500px.jpg

The Malibu and the Lada are pretty slow, but we've seen slower. The Mystery Machine Voyager is quite slow. The Austin-Healey Sprite that raced at Buttonwillow was agonizingly slow; its best lap time was 2:49 (versus the 2:16 best lap run by the Sharks).

I thought a Sprite or MG Midget would have been a pretty good car.

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

Mystery machine doesn't set any lap records...but I'd say the corvair was slower.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

Mystery machine doesn't set any lap records...but I'd say the corvair was slower.....

The Corvair was actually going backwards on the Cyclone at THill '08.  Does that count?

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

wrappedinbacon wrote:

The Corvair was actually going backwards on the Cyclone at THill '08.  Does that count?

I think the steel wool they'd stuffed into the exhaust to try and pass sound regs had melted into a slag type plug, which plugged up its exhaust.  One of our drivers remarked at the sight of molten metal pouring out the corvair's tailpipes at one point.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

kyvinaria wrote:

I've been looking for a little while, and I still haven't heard much about the slowest LeMon's car to be entered

I've heard talk of the '81 Malibu or the '87 Lada Signet (From our Comrades at Total Loss Racing), but have there been any other really, really slow entries?

Oh my, yes.  There was one event on the 2009 calendar with trophies going to cars having top speeds ranging all the way down to "Static Display Only." (Hi, there, Disco Pinto!  Need another push?)  I understand there's more to come in 2010.

Mike Harrell

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

wrappedinbacon wrote:

How could you tell?

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

9 (edited by Spank 2009-12-22 03:02 PM)

Our Mini had a 2:45 fastest lap against that sprite at Buttonwillow, but our average "fast laps" were 3:15ish.

If you are thinking of driving a slow car, here's my advice based our 1 experience-- get the BIGGEST rear view mirror you can fit into your car and USE IT and point EVERYONE by leaving plenty of room on the race line. At least on the first day. That doesn't mean you won't get hit (the race-winning Volvo dive bombed us clipping the front because they didn't want to go the direction our driver pointed, apparently).

Here's our "race line" when someone came up behind us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47bXIdb9oxc

That was our behavior on day 1. On day 2, we tried a little harder to put our foot in it-- particularly Jerry who can be seen actually PASSING a car in this video (starting at about 4:30 into the clip until the end).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSOgw5uED4A

cmice wrote:
wrappedinbacon wrote:

I think the steel wool they'd stuffed into the exhaust to try and pass sound regs had melted into a slag type plug, which plugged up its exhaust.  One of our drivers remarked at the sight of molten metal pouring out the corvair's tailpipes at one point.

I have heard that if you use the blue steel wool (the stuff with the soap in it) it will almost always plug up. i have used regular steel wool on a truck to pass a CHP sound fix it ticket but then pulled it right back out!

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria