1 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2014-10-17 08:05 AM)

Topic: getting cage bends all on one plane

Looking for tips on how to support my work as I make bends on the main hoop.   Having trouble keeping things all on one plane.  Last night I used levels but realized my bender itself might not be level, since the JD2 is bolted to a furniture dolly.  I'm 6 feet tall and the bender plane is about even with my man boobs, or "moobs."  So manhandling the 2nd bend on the main hoop was real 1st world struggle.

I have some old brake discs and long angle iron I can use to fab up work supports, any design recommendations for the work supports?

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

2 (edited by DelinquentRacer 2014-10-17 09:08 AM)

Re: getting cage bends all on one plane

You really need an adjustable height support so you can use different size tubing.
Usually, you have someone support the main hoop as you bend it because of complexity.

Also, it doesn't matter if the bender is out of level on round tubing as long as the tubing maintains the same plane.

On last thing, bend the tubing with the seam straight up or straight down.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Here's what I do (but I'm eager to see how others do it better):

Take an L bracket and hose clamp or take a short piece of flat metal and tack weld it on the end of your tube-- the last part that would go into the bender if you went that far. Check it with a level before bend #1 but while you've put some tension on the bending lever.

After you complete bend #1, check to see where the bubble falls again.-- usually I tweek the bracket again because I know the bender "settled" from me pushing/twisting on it while bending, but I take note of the difference.

When you position the tube for bend #2, put some tension on it again (support however you need with a chair back or step ladder or whatever) while you maneuver around and set the level mark again to how it was when you were finished with bend #1 or possibly a smidge toward where it was before you did bend #1 but not all the way to the pre-bend 1 location.

Go ahead and start bend 2 (where it is supposedly even with the first bend) and do a degree or two so it sorta "sticks" without the tube sagging. Then go back and check the level. You can often times adjust if you need to a tiny bit if you need to.

I do get better results when I have a helper holding the other end of the tube, but there have been times when the "helper" is lifting too much and throwing off the level mark.

I really wish this thing was not mounted so it bends in a horizontal plane, but a vertical plane.  Much less awkward to support the distant end of the work.  If I had more time, Id work something out, but I don't, so I'll have to make a friend.  I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

Spank's description is exactly how I do it (small wonder, he taught me), and I get perfect results every time.
When I lay the bent part (main hoop or halo) on the concrete patio, it is flat, with no gaps between the tube
and the patio.

Having a helper is almost essential, however.   You will need them to hold the already-bent section while
you are looking at the level or tightening the clamp on the bender.   Also, having them call out the numbers
on the degree pointer makes it easy to sneak up on the proper angle, allowing for spring-back.

A feed roller on an adjustable-height stand (like woodworkers use) is ideal for supporting the un-bent
portion, but a sawhorse will also work.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

6 (edited by jrbe 2014-10-17 01:28 PM)

I have a bracket I hose clamp to the tube that an angle finder sits on. Once you clamp for your first bend zero out the angle finder. This way each bend you can check the rotation of the tube or clock it as necessary.

Remove the angle finder once you set it but leave the bracket on the tube. I've dropped my angle finder a few times leaving it on there.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

I just use a piece of string tied to one end of the tube. Draw it across so it lies on top of the tube on both sides of the mandrel. You can then just eyeball it. It's triangulated if the string is level with the top of the mandrel. No level required.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

gtopat wrote:

I just use a piece of string tied to one end of the tube. Draw it across so it lies on top of the tube on both sides of the mandrel. You can then just eyeball it. It's triangulated if the string is level with the top of the mandrel. No level required.

elegant. I like it.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

IgnoranteWest wrote:

I really wish this thing was not mounted so it bends in a horizontal plane, but a vertical plane.  Much less awkward to support the distant end of the work.  If I had more time, Id work something out, but I don't, so I'll have to make a friend.  I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

Maybe if you worked on your people skills making friends would be easier?

(ducking)

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

IgnoranteWest wrote:

Mine bends in the vertical plane, and I have found it much easier.  I use several magnetic angle finders.  My bender is portable, it sits on a furniture dolly.  I put one on the tube in behind the die, one in front, and one 90° to that.  I then just have to bend it until the difference in the two checking vertical matches the angle I want.  The other one I use to be sure it is going straight up and not leaning to one sid . Although, the way my die holds it, there's little chance of that

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

http://rs897.pbsrc.com/albums/ac180/Ran … g~320x480/

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

Dave, feel free to remove the bender from the dolly and floor-mount it if the floor is flat.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I use clamp-on bracket and a magnetic base digital level to manage tube rotation during bending.  Keep the angle constant for in plane bends.  You can see the red clamp on bracket in these photos.  I think I paid about $25 for that widget but you can easily make one yourself.

http://teamdfl.com/Lemons/mainhoop.jpg

http://teamdfl.com/Lemons/mainhoop2.jpg

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Mulry wrote:

Dave, feel free to remove the bender from the dolly and floor-mount it if the floor is flat.

We tried that but still not level...

It turns out the string trick works awesome!

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

jimbo_se-r wrote:
IgnoranteWest wrote:

Maybe if you worked on your people skills making friends would be easier?

(ducking)

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave