Topic: VW Corrado

I've got my eye on a VW Corrado that's been sitting behind a dealership
for the past several years. Has anyone tried running these cars and if so,
how'd they do?

Mark

Re: VW Corrado

There was an early 80's one at Houston last sept, it appeared to be slow and not handle well. It may have been drivers though.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I drove one years ago...I remember it being fun to drive.....typical sporty VW type..okay power but great handling.....if you get a VR6 it will have plenty of power.....I think the others were supercharged 4 cylinders...so it should have lots of power either way

I had a 2002 GTI that was a Vr6 like they used in the corrado..it was FAST....ton's of torque

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

If it's a G-60, the charger is a week point for longevity.  The up side is they ghetto charge EASY!

We had a G60 at Altamont '08. It was hella terrible. But don't let that stop you!

It's a G60 Corrado Mr. Justice! Ghetto charge? Maybe my age is showing?

Mark

Go for it!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Sure, ghettocharge away. Maybe it will work!

OhioMark wrote:

It's a G60 Corrado Mr. Justice! Ghetto charge? Maybe my age is showing?

Mark

Crappy-ass Chrysler (or other cheap used) turbo plumbed in with sketchy welding, usually sticking through the hood...  What, is 'Getto charge' not in the OED?

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

They usually end up like this (via old Jalopnik photos):
http://ec2-174-129-57-174.compute-1.amazonaws.com:9001/file/URI%3ACHK%3Aqtb7kopqkhq5rlvyjt42snlvwu%3Arigxyvq43j4save2tufevvdhd644wbrcgldzbbwudajguh4rjqva%3A3%3A10%3A35883/@@named=/corrado_on_fire.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2008/12/medium_3120196984_3fe9944b6e_o.jpg

It's been a number of years to remember the specifics, but the easy ghettocharging option for a Corrado involves changing the pulley for the supercharger so it spins faster and I think there was a fuel pump bump up.  There are plenty of Corrado clubs you can search.  Likely, you'll just speed up the metal chunks flying into the engine.  Munch, munch.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

13 (edited by OhioMark 2009-12-24 10:59 AM)

I use to autocross against Corrado's and I remember them changing
the pully setup to get an additional 20-30 horsepower.  The photo
of the VW blowing up is actually a Sirocco by the looks of it. I had one
of those and they we're the slowest thing I've ever had, excluding my 96' Jetta
with a 2.0L , autobox & rock hard seats!It caught fire several days before
my lease ended, but the insurance company covered it.....?

Mark

Run away. 

If it's a G60, it will be exceptionally effluent.  Granted, it's based on the utterly bulletproof 8V engine, but there will be so many electrical and injection issues that it won't be worth even bringing it.  The charger will most likely implode, leaving you with either a completely lunched motor or at best, a 110hp dog in a ~2300lb car. 

Run away.

<---VW guy for the past ~20 years, have had dozens of friends with G60 cars.  Without MAJOR $$$ in the supercharger ($1500, at least, $3000 is better), it will blow the f&%k up.  Even in street trim and use, they're fragile and persnickety.

Run away.

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

15 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-12-24 11:58 AM)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/12/deadcorradoandyugo.jpg

The ZZ Uber Corrado G60 spent most of Altamont '08 and Arse Freeze '08 in an immobile state. But hey, it beat the Yugo (which ended up on its roof after about a half-dozen laps).

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/12/cheapkaiser.jpg
If you want to go with a factory supercharged mo-sheen, why not buy yourself this blown '54 Kaiser Manhattan? The seller is asking a mere 650 bucks, and it comes with some percentage of the McCullough supercharger components!

How about a Merkur? Anyone bring one of those?

Mark

OhioMark wrote:

How about a Merkur? Anyone bring one of those?

Yes, we've seen a few XR4Tis. If not for the Taurus SHO, the XR4Ti would be regarded as the most unreliable car in Lemons history. This shouldn't stop you from racing one, of course, but you might try a Scorpio instead.

http://cache-foo-03.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/07/LeMons_Costumes-07.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2009/03/medium_3368414711_45a847a898_o.jpg

The G-Lader on the Corrado is by far the least reliable bit, second the electrics, and third anything with a VW part number.

I wouldn't dare spin up the G-lader faster than stock, nor even really run on it in a race.  The use some mindbending roots/screw hybrid supercharger. A rebuilt unit is fine but the bearings go and instantly it shatters and stuffs metal into the intercooler. The VR-sux 12V handles terribly no matter what Richard Hammond's writer's team said, it plows like a Taurus.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

casadelshawn wrote:

Run away. 

If it's a G60, it will be exceptionally effluent.  Granted, it's based on the utterly bulletproof 8V engine, but there will be so many electrical and injection issues that it won't be worth even bringing it.  The charger will most likely implode, leaving you with either a completely lunched motor or at best, a 110hp dog in a ~2300lb car. 

Run away.

<---VW guy for the past ~20 years, have had dozens of friends with G60 cars.  Without MAJOR $$$ in the supercharger ($1500, at least, $3000 is better), it will blow the f&%k up.  Even in street trim and use, they're fragile and persnickety.

Run away.

110hp and 2300lb is still enough to be a top finisher... I'd love to run a Cor-rocco.... I'd just ditch the super all together and gut the hell out of it (internally anyway). Some ebay coilovers and a proper lowering job and you have a contender!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

110hp and 2300lb is still enough to be a top finisher... I'd love to run a Cor-rocco.... I'd just ditch the super all together and gut the hell out of it (internally anyway). Some ebay coilovers and a proper lowering job and you have a contender!

Honestly, even without the hand grenade of a blower, the Digifant 1 injection system is a real pain in the tuckus.  The Corrado just doesn't have that much going for it as a race car.  It's an 8v, but one with an unreliable injection system.  It's a 5-speed, but early 02A transmissions were known for eating second gear for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  The electronics are complicated and, well, just plain unreliable.

IF I were doing a Corrado, and I'll admit that it's a HUGE "IF", I'd probably ditch all of the electronics, add a harness from a CIS-E or CIS-Motronic MkII Golf/Jetta, motor/tranny from a MkII Golf/Jetta, and the...

Wait, who am I kidding?  I'd run a MkII Golf/Jetta...  big_smile

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

casadelshawn wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Honestly, even without the hand grenade of a blower, the Digifant 1 injection system is a real pain in the tuckus.  The Corrado just doesn't have that much going for it as a race car.  It's an 8v, but one with an unreliable injection system.  It's a 5-speed, but early 02A transmissions were known for eating second gear for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  The electronics are complicated and, well, just plain unreliable.

IF I were doing a Corrado, and I'll admit that it's a HUGE "IF", I'd probably ditch all of the electronics, add a harness from a CIS-E or CIS-Motronic MkII Golf/Jetta, motor/tranny from a MkII Golf/Jetta, and the...

Wait, who am I kidding?  I'd run a MkII Golf/Jetta...  big_smile

Make mine a MKI Scirocco smile... I had a 78 and loved it. flimsy rust bucket though. I want a early rocco with the 350+hp 1.8t out of my Audi, mounted in the middle smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Oooh, a Kaiser!  Does "some percentage" mean "zero"? ... but I'm still intrigued!

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.