Topic: Weld roof on miata?

I know I saw Eyesore Racing weld their hood on to their roof, but does this get them out of having to wear arm restraints?  I really hate those things and want to find a way to get rid of them.  I have some 20ga sheet metal that I could weld to the windshield frame and the roll cage.  Would this fly?

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Re: Weld roof on miata?

Technically, our hood is bolted onto the cage.  We still use a window net.  I dont' know that we have to use it, but we all like our left arms.  We've never had an issue with our current setup when going through tech.

I'm sure that someone from the Bay City Cabal can chime in on this a bit more thoroughly.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Any officials?

Namco Racing #48 Miata

I doubt that our MR2 has even 20ga steel for the roof, stock from the factory. I've welded tin cans with thicker metal than most of the panels on our car. Obviously I'm no official, but I suspect that if it walks kind of like a roof and quacks kind of like it's a roof, then for Lemons purposes, it's a roof. I wonder what they would do about soft-top convertibles? I've thought about running with a bikini top on the car before. Hmm.

Well, so long as we're asking for a ruling, how about soft-top convertibles or bikini tops, Nick? Roof or not a roof?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The point of roofs and arm restraints is to keep your arms inside.  So 20 gauge should be fine. 

Like Mulry said, factory sheet metal is pretty thin too.

All this talk of bikinis is giving me bad visuals, a bunch of funny looking guys walking around with bikini tops over their race suits.  That's just wrong!

Bikinis need to be left qualified individuals like Anna.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

How about a securely mounted piece of Lexan? I'd like to make the Edsel a convertible. Suicide the back doors? At least move the handles for appearance.

you better watch out with all that body work on the edsel, Get the v12 running and some suicide doors without handles you might decide it is too nice to race.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Nothing is too nice about this thing. Absolutely nothing. It's an Edsel. They are all over the place in values. The '58's are far more desirable to the collectors and there is a small audience at that. I know this project may offend the folks that collect them, but I can't see spending 20-25k on a restoration that would only be worth 7k when done. I just don't have that kind of money and/or affection for the car. The smiles this thing will bring will be priceless. I betcha I have the biggest grin!

I know I can't wait to see it.  Do you think you will have it ready for Gingerman in April or do I have to wait til October in Joliet.  I guess I could start scouring the Chicagoland area for it.  Then again I should probably should be figuring out what I need to finish my car.

Facebook Page

Are you in the Chicago area? I'm in Tinley Park, you know: where the mental hospital was/is. What's your build?

11 (edited by BoB 2009-12-28 02:34 PM)

I'm up in Elmhurst, 294 and roosevelt.  Not really all that familiar with the mental hospitals down there though.  Our build is no where near as amazing as yours.  We just have an Olds Cultlass Ciera, but for such an amazingly common  and popular car(I beleive it was gm's #1 selling car a couple years only possibly beat by one of its sister cars) I don't recall seeing one in Lemons yet, and I think I had once saw one of the car family in one of the older California races.

Facebook Page

Amazing? It's  more nutz than anything else. The Edsel is in my yard and the drivetrain is in Blue Island. Trying to make space at Ed's shop so we can squeeze in the Edsel for cage work. I'd like to make the April race, but a lot of stuff to do before we commit. Call my cell if you are in the Blue Island area in the evening. 708-308-0832.

13 (edited by BoB 2009-12-28 04:16 PM)

Nutz, amazing, that will be determined once you get it on the track.

The Cage is the part we still haven't figured out.  We are hoping to find someone that will fill the standard Lemons wishlist.  High quality work, done quickly, and done dirt cheap.

I may take you up on the tour of the edsel though.  If you need any fairly unskilled help I'd be more tha willing to give you a hand.  My team has gotten the whole righty tight, lefty loosey thing figured out, well most of the time anyway. smile

Facebook Page

Bob,
Ed does cages in Blue Island! Stop by and see some of his workmanship. I put my kid in his stuff. Very well done. Call me to make sure he and/or I are there.
Mike Sr.

15 (edited by BoB 2009-12-28 04:31 PM)

A couple of us will have to make a field trip down that way.  We are waiting till we get accepted for the safety stuff.

Actually I just remember 2 of the guys have off all week so maybe one of them can take a look.  Just be nice to not have to explain why I need a cage in an 80s gm A-body.

Facebook Page

There was a long discussion on weather our plywood roof with beer kegs bolted to it qualified as a roof....believe it or not.  So I don't think they will give you to much crap for a metal roof.  I bet your good.

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

Icantdo55, message me when you can.  We know each other from the tidewater racing board.  I used to run a supercharged mustang a few years back and we autocrossed together.  Looking to try this out.
Will

fair enough

Namco Racing #48 Miata

kartertony wrote:

Icantdo55, message me when you can.  We know each other from the tidewater racing board.  I used to run a supercharged mustang a few years back and we autocrossed together.  Looking to try this out.
Will

email sent

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place