Re: Better, Faster, Stronger (Team LOL Volvo 122 Build Thread)

Like.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

How did the day go for you guys?

#33 Ford Festiva - Team Emoticons

2nd place C class! We shall see how today goes

1967 Volvo 122s IOE and C class winner with the transplanted heart of the 1800
1971 Volvo 1800 IOE winner! Killed by a k wall
1984 Volvo 245  Angela Lansbury *sold
Established 2011

29 (edited by fleming95 2015-03-23 11:26 AM)

The Sunday morning starting lineup, with class C at the lead, was perfect - with the two Volvos leading the charge!

The 122 was the one car out there that really drew my eye (not like that's hard with that color and those curves...)  - since it was shining out like a beacon of normalcy out on the Lemons track!

I also loved that, late on Saturday, the 122 was top of C, with the 2xx one lap back - and sandwiched neatly between them was the fastest-time-of-the-hour-and-under-2-minutes Mr. Donut M3!

30 (edited by sethfriesen 2015-03-24 01:45 PM)

What a great race weekend!  Friday started off a bit rough. We live 20 minutes from the track but rolled in around 3pm. What were we doing? Thursdays test run around the block resulted in the center support bearing literally falling off the driveshaft. The solution involved a shaft collar, some old exhaust pipe and a tin can. (see pic below).http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a555/alfaseth/IMG_0295_zpsg5piaklx.jpg

The car went through tech ok. John made us come back because we had not yet installed rear-view mirrors! The car ran great for most of the weekend. All of us felt that this car was more fun to drive than the 1800.  The biggest difference between the two cars is the visibility. The 1800 has none. The 122 was easy to see out of, which makes driving a slower car in Lemons tolerable. We have to drive in our rear view mirrors a lot to avoid all those BMWs! We ended the first day with no penalties and in second place in class C. The engine didn't sound so happy on day 2. Oil consumption went from a 1/2 quart every 3-4 hours to a quart an hour! Midway through the day, it started spewing rusty water over the engine compartment and the windshield. Water level was dropping and engine temps were on the rise. 
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a555/alfaseth/IMG_0299_zpst3ogcfgk.jpg

With our final driver in for the last hour and a half, things really started to go south. The engine continued to puke water and we couldn't get the temp to drop. With about 30 minutes of the race left, the temp hit 250 degrees, and it would barely stay running. We decided to bring it in rather than hand grenade the whole thing.  Considering this engine has run 3.5 Lemons races and literally came out of a junkyard, It did great.

We were all surprised and thrilled to receive the IOE award at the end of the race. Is this a new Lemons record? Our little old B20 engine and transmission have won two IOE awards!
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a555/alfaseth/122sonoma_zpsmpupyquf.jpg

Seth Friesen - Lead wrench turner, LOL Racing
'84 Volvo 245 (Angela) - Sold
'71 Volvo 1800E - Dead
'66 Volvo 122 - 2015 Sears Pointless IOE winner!