Topic: Fun game - ID Sputnik's new Lemons project

Use picture below as a clue. If you're already in the know, keep your mouth shut wink

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tjSjksum7wY/VGaOMaoNrkI/AAAAAAAAAuQ/KUDBbu0HGOk/w1598-h899-no/20141113_194746.jpg

Estimated first race sometime in the middle of 2015.

K Car Stalker

Re: Fun game - ID Sputnik's new Lemons project

I only want to say FUCK YOU, and also 500 dollar car my ass!!!

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

3 (edited by firegremlin 2014-11-14 06:10 PM)

Correct! We paid more. Way more.

But!

We already have enough offers for the very charred drivetrain to sink the price balance below zero, and we didn't even check if any of the interior or computers are salvageable.

But, yeah. It is now finally past customs, 40 hours of driving later. I have it. It is very nice.

Always wanted to race one when I was a kid.

K Car Stalker

OK, I will play. Those look like Toyota AE86 taillights. And if they are, then clearly they are NOT on an AE86, because that would be mundane. Instead, I know what they are from and I would also echo Soggy's "F-You" and "$500 my ass."

Can't wait to see it!

The Other Idiot of Effluencecy

I have a prediction. From the sounds of the words you speak, I hope I'm right and I'm hoping for some crazy sputnik drivetrain swap.

Saab V4 mounted in the rear? SHOV8? Sasha on a bicycle towing it?

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

It looks like a bad idea and you didn't go to jail...
so there is a plus.

This space for rent.

It looks like a bad idea and you didn't go to jail...
so there is a plus.

This space for rent.

The car is glorious looking. Many theming possibilities. Its right outside my window and I look at it all the time.

So the question I have is....Is this possibly the most valuable car to race Lemons(eventually)? and by that I mean a car that is actually under budget. Not something that was actually cheating.

Also i'm doing research, but this is possibly the only car in the United States with this model and trim.

The only motor that is allowed in this car is a loud screaming 1000cc or larger sportbike motor(which still keeps us under budget).

Also this is the shadiest, most complicated purchase I have ever been a part of.

... The customs official was using his smartass voice when he informed me that the car is a chop job, because [manufacturer] does not use pop rivets. He then proceeded to point me at the location where the body panel was supposedly "welded on".

... The dealer informed me that there is an actual part number for a roll of conventional silver duct tape.

K Car Stalker

Lotus Turbo Esprit. My god, is there anything metal in that fiberglass wedge to attach cage to??

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Oh myyy... some Jimmies are going to get rustled...

...and that's great.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Ding-ding-ding! 1992 Highwing SE, one of 67 1992 MY cars made by Lotus that year. Between 1 and 3 were brought to North America, and zero to USA - until now.

... Yes, we're butchering a unique Peter Stevens Esprit.

The car had an engine fire. In a barn. With other, similar cars. Burned down the barn, burned other cars, but stayed remarkably intact - except the engine lid is gone and the wiring harness is now a bunch of copper.

It also had a history of theft recovery in 04, and some wanker at Hethel put the door sticker off of the next car in sequence on it (the rest of the VIN's, including chassis and engine stamp, match). Hence a 3-day adventure of getting it through customs.

K Car Stalker

I guess you won't be chopping the roof off this one. big_smile

Actually, I'm curious how you're supposed to cage a fiberglass car with a backbone chassis... build outriggers from the central frame?

SpaceFrank wrote:

I guess you won't be chopping the roof off this one. big_smile

Actually, I'm curious how you're supposed to cage a fiberglass car with a backbone chassis... build outriggers from the central frame?

I believe this is the correct method and the one used by some of the other Lotus cars in the series.

was the esprit a backbone car though? Either way, you need to get the cage attached to frame, not body.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Esprit has a backbone. The plan is to weld spreader plates onto the central steel backbone, add a pair of U-shaped (and well-gusseted) extentions going around the driver and passenger floors respectively, and then weld the actual cage to those tubes. Additional two bars will go from outside of the floor U-things to the backbone on each side, and seats will mount directly to them. Rear main stays go into the engine cradle/suspension carrier tubes, which are of a similar size and gauge as the actual cage. Seems like the factory approved method that's been race-crash-tested many a time, and there are pictures all over the web of naked Esprit cages.

Also, factory firewall is spectacular. Everything plastic on the engine itself melted and burned off, and fiberglass behind the firewall is still nice and fresh. Like a true supercar, it is well-prepared to spontaneous combustion.

K Car Stalker

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5608/15813482281_77935790fb_b.jpgimagejpeg_2 by guilty187, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7553/15629963388_174d84f9d3_b.jpgimagejpeg952_3 by guilty187, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7583/15630187737_ae6d00f3e4_b.jpgimagejpeg952_4 by guilty187, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7521/15629961098_23c3b029af_b.jpgimagejpeg952_5 by guilty187, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7530/15629959168_5e01b30811_b.jpgIMG_20141111_095640002_HDR by guilty187, on Flickr

There is no fail in this plan!

Oh man, I love the Lotus Esprit.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

One of my favorite (I'll get one someday......) Cars
Just make sure its done well!
I want to see this work.
And if you need a Driver? Hint. hint.

Manny.

I am amazingly jealous. I love the Esprit. I have a couple friends with V8TT models that are going to be up in arms over this, and it's going to make me so happy.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

My favorite racing game growing up was Lotus: The Ultimate Challenge. I loved the music, I loved the dynamic track generator, and I loved the wedgy-looking car. Has been my dream car ever since, and started my obsession with the philosophy of light weight.

Never thought I'd get to actually race one in wheel-to-wheel race. Whadduyaknow, dream hard and keep checking Ebay.

Now, if only burned-down Testarossas would be less than 20K...

K Car Stalker

funny you mention ferraris. Someone was doing a raffle for a restored 308. Tickets were $100. I was curious if that meant I could enter one since I only paid $100 for it.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

It was fun sitting in customs for hours.. and having the car and my trailer impounded for a day.  I opted to skip the second 24 hour road trip to pick the car up.

Officially jealous. When the Peter Stevens-revised bodywork came out when I was in high school it became my dream car.

guilty187 wrote:

The car is glorious looking. Many theming possibilities. Its right outside my window and I look at it all the time.

I think there is only one theme:

http://www.bani.md/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/6a00d83452989a69e201901e387e2a970b-800wi.jpg

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/