Topic: Cook County P71 -- With just $500 and a Fraternity

So, I'm a Computer Engineering student at IIT in Chicago. Being an engineering school, my friends are also engineering students. Most of us really like building stuff, and some of us really like cars.

So, after watching the Roadkill episode about the race, me and the guy I was watching it had a conversation something like this:

"Hm, I wonder if we could field a team"
"Well, we are in a fraternity full of engineering students... so we have that going for us"
"Yeah, let's do it"

We asked around, and got 9 guys from the house who were interested, and, throwing caution to the wind, started scouring the public surplus auctions for some choice piece of Victoria's Crown.

We found it in one 2003 P71 with 181k miles, paid exactly $500 for it, and picked it up off possibly the most poorly managed lot ever. It started with a jump, but kept dying until we put a new battery in it (does that battery count towards car cost? Please say no). After the battery swap, it's running fine, we drove it something like 50 miles back to our shop.

Now we're in possession of this car, we have about a year to get it ready for our target race of Oct 2015 at Joliet.

Our first step was to purchase a seat for the race. It's a fiberglass seat, but it has no markings from any safety agency. Is it kosher? (On a hilarious side note, we bought it at a doctors office... for some reason 'Dr. Brandon' was selling them out of his x-ray room.)

Any guidance from experienced racers, or just people who aren't 18-22 year old imbeciles is greatly appreciated.

Re: Cook County P71 -- With just $500 and a Fraternity

I want to post some links to videos of us buying the car and driving it back, but it looks like I need a post count > 2.

To test that theory, here's post #2

Here's my buddy winning the bid

Here's the adventure to go pick up the car off the lot
It's a google plus 'story' thing, which is pretty neat. However, most of the pictures have annotations, which show up if you click the little comment icon on the bottom right of the pictures.

Here's some camera phone quality shots of the seat

You guys are going to love it.   I was in my first race this September and I am hooked.   Worst part is having to wait another six months to race!

The first thing I want to warn you about is the fact that you are a bunch of Engineers.  It is common knowledge in LeMon's that you do not let your token Engineer work on the car unsupervised.  So if you have 9 engineers, you probably need at least one adult of a slightly redneck bend to supervise/drink all your beer.

The Panther platform is good choice.  Read all the threads about how much is really takes to get a car to the track (usually $2-4K) and hundreds of hours of work.

The first team I crewed for was, and still is, a bunch of friends from Engineering school who all still played with cars, got together and thought Lemons would be fun.  They still seemed to be friends even after about 6 races together with a car that should be great but is actually terrible.

You'll be fine

As for the seat please post pictures or give the model of the seat and we can probably tell you if it is ok.  As for how smart it is to buy something from a guy calling himself Dr Brandon, well you guys are still young I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

ddaygold wrote:

We found it in one 2003 P71 with 181k miles, paid exactly $500 for it, and picked it up off possibly the most poorly managed lot ever. It started with a jump, but kept dying until we put a new battery in it (does that battery count towards car cost? Please say no). After the battery swap, it's running fine, we drove it something like 50 miles back to our shop.

Our first step was to purchase a seat for the race. It's a fiberglass seat, but it has no markings from any safety agency. Is it kosher? (On a hilarious side note, we bought it at a doctors office... for some reason 'Dr. Brandon' was selling them out of his x-ray room.)

Any guidance from experienced racers, or just people who aren't 18-22 year old imbeciles is greatly appreciated.

Battery swap, don't sweat it for budget.

Fiberglass seat, you should take photos and send to Evil John (the head tech guy for Lemons) and get his approval.

Since you are all engineering students, my assumption is you probably do not have much money, but if someone on the team does you could get a legendary Lemons Crown Vic that almost requires and engineer to run, the twin-turbo taxi.  You can find that listed on the "cars for sale" page on the forum.

Welcome to the asylum!

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Fiberglass seat is probably not OK.  Lemons is pretty strict on safety.  A real racing seat will likely cost you a couple hundred dollars, or more. 

We're a team of all engineers, except one salesman.  We usually finish races, and win hilarious trophies for crappitude, but that's about all I can say for our achievements.  Luckily we've all been turning wrenches since before we started pushing mice across CAD software, so we had that going for us. 

Basic rule of thumb: Don't over think it.  Except for safety stuff.  If you think you're overthinking safety, you're probably still not thinking about it enough.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Well if the Dr Brandon seat doesn't work you can always go to http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/?gc … MgodmmQAFg to atleast look at some seats and try them out to see what works for you.    THere is also https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ in wisconsin which will have pretty much everything you will need for racing but they are a longer drive, however they do ship and as long as the part is in their wisconsin warehouse it will probably show up next day with the cheapest shipping.

Facebook Page

Read this if you haven't already.

The P71 already has a lot of what you'll need, like an oil cooler and a trans cooler so you're in good shape there. The engines are virtually indestructible and the cars are generally overbuilt.

With a big car like a Crown Vic, don't skimp on brakes. Get the absolute best brakes you can for the car and buy a good endurance pad. There are always debates here about which pads work best (same with tires). Just ask the people who race Crown Vics what they use and what's worked in the past. People are usually pretty helpful in Lemons.

If you don't know what you're doing, pay someone to fab your cage and probably also to install your seat mount.. There's a good builder in Blue Island who will do it for a good price if you're not in a hurry. As far as I know, he's built four or five full cages and done work on at least that many more and they've all passed tech. In fact, he daily drives a Marauder or a Town Car or something, so he probably also knows a good deal about the P71.

Crown Vics have a tendency to leak fuel from the stock system. Evil Genius John (Lemons chief tech inspector) had a solution a while ago. When you email him to ask about the seat, ask if he has any information on how to prevent that.

You have nine people now. Don't be surprised if you have considerably fewer come next October. You're in a fraternity, which may help keep the team together, but the usual team size at the end of a build is about half what it was to start.

Probably most important: When you guys buy your safety gear, get helmets—preferably SA2010 spec—drilled for a HANS or NecksGen or whatever. If you don't have the scratch for one yourself, pool your money and share one. That, along with a well-built rollcage, is the best investment you're going to make.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

11 (edited by BoB 2014-11-19 09:24 AM)

I can get you the contact info to the cage builder therood mentioned.  He has been spending a lot of time working on the TV shows chicago fire and chicago pd, which means it will be hard to get a hold of him and it may be a while before he can do it according to filming schedule.  The plus side though is he currently is building a lot of cages for old p71s for that show so I'm sure he knows lots about that platform.  Not sure when the last time he built a cage for Lemons so be sure to give him the current rules just to be safe.  I would suggest having the seat and a harness when  you get it caged so he can fab everything up around that.  He can build the mount to the cage if you don't need to adjust it, or you can mount it with sliders or something  if you need to adjust the seat.  If the seat isn't mounted you may have some issues later with belt angles and cage placement.

He built my cage and I've only got compliments about it, and price wise most people don't believe how little I paid for it, but I mine was the first Lemons cage he did so it has gone up a little since then.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

As for the seat please post pictures or give the model of the seat and we can probably tell you if it is ok.  As for how smart it is to buy something from a guy calling himself Dr Brandon, well you guys are still young I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually.

Here's some camera phone quality shots of the seat

When the guy texted me telling me to ask for "Dr. Brandon," I didn't believe it either, but we bought it from him in his xray room! There's a picture of it in the album link above.

The close up shot is an attempt to show that the seat is not made of plastic, but fiberglass.

Hmmm, I am slightly less inclined to believe you wasted you money now as it contains all the elements of an acceptable seat without being able to actually put my hands on it.

Two should belt holes in about the right location...check
Crotch belt hole..check
The basic shape and design of a popular racing seat that starts with an "S"

I will let more experienced hands weigh in but this might not be as big a mistake as everyone (including me) immediately assumed.

Since you are all engineering students, my assumption is you probably do not have much money, but if someone on the team does you could get a legendary Lemons Crown Vic that almost requires and engineer to run, the twin-turbo taxi.  You can find that listed on the "cars for sale" page on the forum.

Welcome to the asylum!

How can that car be $500 raceable? I saw the post and beyond the (new when bought) twin tubos its got the trac-loc diff, a newish manual, and even a 24" monitor! The guy's selling it for $5000!

How the $500 racecar costs $5000 you will find out once you have bought all the safety gear and budget exempt stuff plus spares.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

How the $500 racecar costs $5000 you will find out once you have bought all the safety gear and budget exempt stuff plus spares.

Right, I understand that the total cost of the race is more than the purchase price of the car, but I thought that the car had to be bought (net of selling stuff) for $500. How do the judges determine that your $5000 turbo taxi purchase should have $4500 knocked off the purchase price because it came with a roll cage, seat, fuel cell, etc.? Is this the 'residual value' component?

If it was a former Lemons car they can get a residual and that is what you will have to spend, if not you can ask Judge Phil since he will know.  You are basically paying xxx for the car and xxxx for the safety equipment.   While you need to document everything you purchase and have it with you the final decision on what class and how many penalty laps you receive are from the Judges who do a very good job typically in classing and penalizing cars.

Facebook Page

ddaygold wrote:

Welcome to the asylum!

How can that car be $500 raceable? I saw the post and beyond the (new when bought) twin tubos its got the trac-loc diff, a newish manual, and even a 24" monitor! The guy's selling it for $5000!

Safety (roll cage, seat, belts) and other items (tires, brakes, fuel cell) do not count against budget.  Start adding things up and it doesn't take long (cage 1000-1500, seat 400, belts 150, tires 500-600, brakes 150-200 for just the pads, fuel cell and accessories to install it 1500).  I've got close to $4200 just in the items I've listed and there are more.  Granted, those are prices for new items, but you can see how it easily adds up.

You will also learn that some cars are just so cool/absurd/rare that the judges will allow them to stretch the budget rule a bit.  The Taxi is one of those.

Finally, you could bring any car you can afford, as long as it passes safety inspection you are allowed to race.  You just may get penalty laps assigned.  That is how the judges attempt to level the playing field.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013

ddaygold wrote:
BoB wrote:

Right, I understand that the total cost of the race is more than the purchase price of the car, but I thought that the car had to be bought (net of selling stuff) for $500. How do the judges determine that your $5000 turbo taxi purchase should have $4500 knocked off the purchase price because it came with a roll cage, seat, fuel cell, etc.? Is this the 'residual value' component?

I am sure the seller will give you a receipt that says $500 for the car and $4500 for all safety gear and theme items.  You show that to the judges at BS inspection and they will decide if they believe it or not.  Since this was a previously raced Lemon, and a fairly well known at that, the worse that could happen is they give you some penalty laps.

Okay, so maybe the Taxi isn't the best example, but I was just suggesting that buying a previously raced car can save boat loads of work and money too.

Again, welcome to Lemons!

OnkelUdo wrote:

Hmmm, I am slightly less inclined to believe you wasted you money now as it contains all the elements of an acceptable seat without being able to actually put my hands on it.

Two should belt holes in about the right location...check
Crotch belt hole..check
The basic shape and design of a popular racing seat that starts with an "S"

I will let more experienced hands weigh in but this might not be as big a mistake as everyone (including me) immediately assumed.

Good to hear, are there any other opinions on the seat?

I'm going to echo the comments about being careful as engineers. That's how my team started. 5 of us, all friends from college, 4 were engineers. 3 were mechanical and 1 was civil. The last was a business major. All of us were car people. Engineers WILL over-think everything, and that gets you in trouble a lot. When something breaks at a race, (and it will) do not try and figure out why. Just accept that it broke and do something to fix it. You can over-analyse the why later after the race is done.

as far as cars like the turbo taxi. You can show up with a car over the budget, you will get to race. You will just get penalized. It's more fun to stay in the rules, but certain cars are just so amazing that it's fun to see them. I don't think the turbo taxi guys ever tried to hide the fact that they spent way too much, they just wanted to race an amazing car.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

22 (edited by BoB 2014-11-19 12:14 PM)

If you have the company's name and model we may have more to say, but for official ok or not email Evil Genius, or Jay or Nick at Lemons HQ with the pics and as much info as possible.

Facebook Page

That seat looks to be a cheap clone of a Sparco seat. No FIA tags= don't trust it. Sell it to someone for their ricer and buy a real seat. You can find good used seats on Craigslist. Search for Sparco or Corbeau. Check for the FIA tag (go look at the sparco or corbeau page), and make sure you understand what a real FIA sticker looks like. There are clone seats with fake FIA stickers.

cheap safety items won't be tolerated.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

That seat looks to be a cheap clone of a Sparco seat. No FIA tags= don't trust it. Sell it to someone for their ricer and buy a real seat. You can find good used seats on Craigslist. Search for Sparco or Corbeau. Check for the FIA tag (go look at the sparco or corbeau page), and make sure you understand what a real FIA sticker looks like. There are clone seats with fake FIA stickers.

cheap safety items won't be tolerated.

I'll second this. If it seems even remotely questionable, sell it for someone with less self-preservation.

Road race seats from Kirkey start around $250 for a basic aluminum (Read "uncomfortable") seat plus a padded cover. Or you can buy a Kirkey containment seat for $550 with a cover or so. Kirkey stuff is less comfortable than Sparco or what have you, but it's more affordable.

If the money is an issue, take up a collection from your families. Or, better yet, find some well-to-do alumnus from your frat and convince him to "sponsor" your team by cutting a check for the safety gear. That's a thing that can happen, right?

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

BoB wrote:

If you have the company's name and model we may have more to say, but for official ok or not email Evil Genius, or Jay or Nick at Lemons HQ with the pics and as much info as possible.

I sent him an email (john@evilgeniusracing.com, right?).