Topic: Need answer by morning: Brake question

Hey,

I am doing the brake job on our 1994 Cadillac Seville tomorrow.  The car's weight is 3800 pounds.  I am going with new calipers and rotors.  What is the best pad to go with?    Only hitch is, it has to be something a store would stock as we just decided to try and get it done tomorrow.  We are going to use DOT blue fluid.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: Need answer by morning: Brake question

CarQuests house brand is made by Akebono and the gold box is the same as the PROact full ceramic. Cheap and work surprisingly well under race conditions. They do take a bit to break in. We have tried destroying them on one of our M3 track cars and they actually did better than a few racing pads (to stay un-named).

Good Luck

Pen

thats pretty heavy and chances are it has a fair amount of HP....so you will need some upgrading!!  The easiest thing to do is get high temp fluid, steel braided lines and real race pads....raybestos will custom make any of their pads...talk to John at www.evilgeniusracing.com  he can get anything made....I run ST43s' on the 928 estate & they work GREAT..... 

If your going to go full custom...anything BIG is good.....I would try to stay with the caddy theme...maybe escalade brakes?  Of course 4 piston Brembos are easy..but pricey

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I would forget the off-the-shelf choices and call Porterfield. They made us up some 505 turbo pads and had them in our hands in a week. Not only that but now that they have the specs they can make us replacements even quicker. BTW they don't just sell their own pads but other brands like Hawk as well.

I concur with Solracer.  We used Livermore Performance to get our Porterfields.  Tell them what you have and what track, type of race, etc and they will recommend a lining.  They sell many brands and have the best prices I found on Porterfields.  We ended up with R4-E front and R4-S rear for the Nelson 24 hour race.

If I were you, I'd buy the cheapest pads you can buy and fill your system with cheap fluid.  Once you get the good pads, swap them.  Don't switch to expensive fluid until the Friday practice/tech day to be sure it's fresh.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I see where icemang and soloracer are coming from but we learned with the heavy cars a aggressive pad does not work well unless you have drivers who are aware of them and know how to use them properly.  Even with knowledgeable seasoned racers the racing pads melted the seals out of our calipers and had to limp around the track. We currently upgraded the front brakes to Mercedes SUV front brakes and decided to use factory pads and just get a lot of air into them to keep temps down. It has so far worked very well and hauls the 4800 lbs down surprisingly quickly with no over heating.  if your plan is to get the brakes done by tomorrow make sure you pull off or cut off the backing plate and run some kind of ducting to them.

Pen

We are going to do a ton more work, we just happen to have a free day, and figured, hey lets do the brakes.  We are putting on new calipers, new rotors and will put on the pads.  Replace the fluid with DOT-4 blue.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible