Topic: New Jersey to mandate head-and-neck restraints in 2015

http://racechaseronline.com/2014/12/jer … ment-2015/

There are some oblique mentions to additional safety mandates with regard to foam inserts in seats, but not enough detail to tell how widely applicable they are (e.g. only to the 3/4 midget whose crash occasioned the rule, or broadly applied).

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Re: New Jersey to mandate head-and-neck restraints in 2015

I don't like that this sort of thing is being mandated, but I do hope it pushes more people to move to better(safer) setups.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

3 (edited by racinrob 2014-12-16 06:58 AM)

The law is only for oval track racing.

http://yankeeracer.com/2014/11/28/new-j … estraints/

New Jersey will mandate head and neck restraints for drivers at ovals beginning January 1, 2015. Any vehicle in subchapter four of the regulations is subject to the new rule. All race cars except Quarter Midgets are covered, including cars intended for adults. Specific divisions are not provided to prevent loopholes.

Detective M. Kowalski of the New Jersey State Police wrote the tech bulletin that will be sent to track operators by the superintendent. According to the tech bulletin, “All drivers participating in asphalt or dirt oval racing subject to NJSA 62-4, will be required to wear a head and neck restraint system meeting SFI specification 38.1.” The equipment “must have an SFI tag,” according to Kowalski. He expects to meet with track operators within the next month and a half to review this.

FPR, you are right.  We do not want the government to start controlling our hobby.  The insurance companies do that quite well.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

For a change, I'm glad to live in a state where this would be considered a laughable waste of public funds. They don't want to fund roads or schools here, so instituting literal HANS police probably won't happen..

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

A couple times at the first NJMP race, the cop in the tower ordered someone black-flagged because he "didn't like the way they were driving." So, I relayed that info to the driver and sent him on his way. Apparently, the NJ cops can issue moving violations for stuff that happens on the race track, which means you can get points on your driver's license for a four-off in a race. Hasn't happened yet in Lemons, though.

Judge Phil wrote:

A couple times at the first NJMP race, the cop in the tower ordered someone black-flagged because he "didn't like the way they were driving." So, I relayed that info to the driver and sent him on his way. Apparently, the NJ cops can issue moving violations for stuff that happens on the race track, which means you can get points on your driver's license for a four-off in a race. Hasn't happened yet in Lemons, though.

POLICE STATE theme.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

They also have a law that does not allow them to race anything bigger than a go-kart until they are 18 years old.  I am not sure if that encompasses all racing, or just circle track, but I do know that several families from NJ bring their kids to PA to race.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013

Judge Phil wrote:

As a NJ resident  my surprise on a scale from  "the sun rising" to "Pearl Harbor"

well...

Probably less than the sunrise actually.  I'll need to revamp that scale.

Back on topic,  even if its not applicable to Lemons,  I think I'm going to lie to,  I mean... advise my team to force them into finally buying a Necksgen.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Judge Phil wrote:

I also remember in an early NJ race (when we debuted the boat, not sure if it was the first Lemons at njmp), that state police rolled through the paddock many times at all hours.   I don't really recall seeing them that much after that race (just once in awhile)... but this may be just because I'm now used to living in the People's Republic of Jersey.

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

Drdanteiii wrote:

Back on topic,  even if its not applicable to Lemons,  I think I'm going to lie to,  I mean... advise my team to force them into finally buying a Necksgen.

I did this the easy way... I run 2" shoulder belts in the Cortina.... No hans, no drive.

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

New Jersey sounds like a buncha gott dang freedom-hatin' commie terrorists. Only a go-kart before 18? Are you kidding me? I get my ass handed to me by a sixth grader all the time down here in Texas.

ninjacoco wrote:

New Jersey sounds like a buncha gott dang freedom-hatin' commie terrorists.  .

I'm pretty sure it says that in latin on our state flag.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

WarpdSpazm wrote:
Drdanteiii wrote:

I did this the easy way... I run 2" shoulder belts in the Cortina.... No hans, no drive.

That does work for some teams, but it's a large investment. I've had two DefNders in the team since race #1, but it took until this year for some of my drivers to buy the damn helmet hardware so we can all use them.

on the original topic, NJ laws confuse the hell out of me.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

To clarify, the racetracks that operate in NJ have to be licensed, by the state, to operate as a racetrack.

If the track wants to be licensed, it needs to operate under these rules.

This license also provides some benefits to the facilities.

Therefore, they are mandating that the tracks require participants to be safe. 

I do not agree with the state mandating much of anything, however, I have a Necksgen for a reason.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

NJ just screwed some HANS device owners.  I have seen some HANS units with FIA stickers only and no SFI sticker.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

I sent my R3 to Simpson to have it enlarged/refreshed/updated and it came back with a fresh 38.1 sticker on it.  I've also had them resticker a helmet when the SA tag fell off.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

wvumtnbkr wrote:

So they should mandate that nobody races.

racinrob wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:

But then they wouldn't get their licensing fees or kickbacks.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

TeamDFL wrote:

NJ just screwed some HANS device owners.  I have seen some HANS units with FIA stickers only and no SFI sticker.

I'm checking mine when I get home.

Sounds like something that should be able to be fixed by contacting HANS and sending them in for a sticker.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

racinrob wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:

okay, I failed on that one.

I am just saying that the law is telling people to use safety devices.  The tracks MUST enforce it if they want to remain open.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

wvumtnbkr wrote:
racinrob wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:

okay, I failed on that one.

I am just saying that the law is telling people to use safety devices.  The tracks MUST enforce it if they want to remain open.

Yea, I know what you meant.  I was just being a smart ass (most people call me a dumb ass).

Yeah--Simpson (owns Hans nowadays) has a whole recertification process. If it's current for one, they might just give you the SFI sticker. If not, redoing the sticker isn't too expensive--I think it's like $20 or $30? I'd definitely call and ask.

I don't understand places that mandate SFI over FIA, though. The FIA tests seem to be a bit stricter in most cases. It seems like one should trump the other and still be good to go if only the one FIA sticker is present.

Sorry guys, but I'm feeling a bit slow.  Just learned about the law today and I still can't figure out if it actually applies to us or not.  Sounds to me like it does

BTW here is the law

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/news/pdf/rp … -13-62.pdf

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

This is what else I found

13:62-3.14 Driver requirements [for racing]
(a)-(f) (No change.)
(g) Head and neck restraint meeting SFI Specification 38.1 standard (September 23, 2011), which is incorporated herein by reference, as amended and supplemented, and available at http://www.sfifoundation.com,is strongly recommended for drivers of vehicles equipped with proper seats, headrests, and seat belts.

Also, they moved the driving age from 18 to 17

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

You Wrong Coast Commies STAY OUTTA MY DAMN RACE CAR!!!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)