Topic: We are winning the BS game!

Admittedly, it's not a great achievement, but we're really good at collecting BS laps. From the very start, we've been trying to play this game the right way with fun themes and clean driving (the 2 core members, the Korf twins, have zero black flags in 6 races). We're good citizens off track too (we gave wheels and tires away at Vodden and put a driver with a broken car into our car for the last stint at Arse). Not sure why we keep getting hit with the BS stick. What is it that the judges don't like about us? We don't really care about the laps because honestly, we're not about to win, but being singled out for BS laps makes us feel like outsiders looking in.

Here's a brief history of our BS laps.

2012 Vodden we bring an MR2 dressed as Noah's Ark and get 5 penalty laps in B class. There were 4 other 1st gen MR2s in the race. The supercharged one and the Vibe engine one got A0, but the other normal motors like ours got B0 and C0.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/733402/477257_407019696026642_1688632097_o.jpg

2013 Pointless we change the theme to a fishing boat and swap to a 20v (16v died previous race) and get 2 laps in A. The other MR2s with A-motors? None.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/733402/885228_492074000854544_988075192_o.jpg

2013 Vodden we change theme to Lamborarri (Lamborghini/Ferrari mash-up). A0 finally and P9. One of the best weekends of my life.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/733402/LMNS7927.jpg

2014 Vodden our MR2 is dead, so we bring a Miata under a Royal Mail theme. Of the 9 Miatas in the race, 3 get penalty laps. Ours is one. Oddly, all the ones with BS laps finished much lower than the ones without BS laps. Appearances can be deceiving.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/733402/10380433_10152421818653131_3713504663966026815_o.jpg

2014 Arse we change the Miata to a Can Am car because we figure that bringing a Miata to Lemons is sort of cheaty and we need to do something to mitigate that. We got 3 BS laps for our efforts. There were 7 Miatas in the race. Want to guess if any of the others got penalty laps? They didn't.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/733402/10397017_10152593972593131_330969712071506721_o.jpg

I'm sure we're not the only ones with this kind of story, but let's not make this a whiner's thread. I like this shit, and I'll keep doing it even if they give me 100 laps. If this is you too, just rock on.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

Re: We are winning the BS game!

If you get laps in C or B class, it's not a punishment. It's what we do with a car that would get stomped in the higher class but is a bit too good for the lower class.

We were in B class just the first race.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

If you can figure out how to make a Miata look just like a Daewoo Nubira or Hyundai Tiburon I bet you get A0.

I have theming ideas, Ian, but non-ratty Miatas seem to attract BS laps like flies on a rib roast.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

Do you try to negotiate?  Let The judge know all about your previous horrible luck and he may be lenient.

Who did your classing at each race? Most of the time I end up with Phil, or we never even make it to BS because Jay does our tech and tells us that it's going to be C0 like it always is. But once at NJ we got a judge that was called in just for the race (I really can't remember who), and he tried to assign laps to the car because "these were super fast back in their day." I just laughed and said "have you seen our record?" We got C0.

BS is just what it's name implies, it's BS. They make it up on the spot. Granted Phil and the gang have gotten really really good at it, but sometimes things get missed. Have you tried bribing?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

rlchv70 wrote:

Do you try to negotiate?  Let The judge know all about your previous horrible luck and he may be lenient.

As my teammate here is hinting we have a Class B plus 10 laps (give or take) car in the hands of a skilled team.  We get Class B every time because we remind Phil, if he is getting frisky and threatening laps or class A, how terrible our record is, Eric often expounds on this, and we end up B0.

The solution to this problem is in the works for us...we will be bringing a terrible race car to Gingerman that can be nothing but C0...unless they go negative.

eh, we've gotten to the point of not giving half a shit about BS laps. We've even talked about doing a coyote and IRS swap in the 'Mont, since we're in texas, Sajeev thinks that every fox body on the planet is sure to run away with the race and win by 500 laps over any other car, and historically, we've had something fail that keeps us off the track for a few hours every race.  We built it to be fun and fast, but it has to stop for fuel every hour and a half, so between the fuel consumption and reliability history, it's a pretty solid class b car.

If we dont have a chance, we might as well go REALLY fast, right?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

9 (edited by st_rage 2014-12-18 08:51 AM)

"“If you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you’re the asshole.”

Engine is just one piece of the puzzle.  What shocks/springs are you running?  If you've got some koni's under there you should expect laps.

If you've proven that you can drive well, and that you might be a contender, the judges look a little harder at your car.  It may be that the other teams with similar cars were just not a threat.  Our car probably deserves laps, but were not running a fuel cell and we have 10 minute pit stops.  Phil knows we've already built in our own penalty laps.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

I've been dumped in Class B before with 53hp naturally aspirated 3-bearing main british motors before. At the end of the weekend, it really doesn't matter but it does sting a little.

I bring a variety of drivers, some completely green (and some who have never even driven a stick before) and to see them all giddy when they are in the top 5 in Class C (of 7 cars) is kinda fun to watch.  Of course, our 28-min fueling stops and driver changes every 30-45 min pretty much secure the car's placing if the typical British Engineering doesn't do us in sooner.

I'm a BIG proponent of Class C plus laps, but this year it seems I've read a lot of recaps for Class C where they seem to get 1 ringer in it with no laps as a sympathetic, "They've been doing this a while with a slew of poor performances / breakdowns. Sure they are a Class A or Class B car, but-- let's throw them in C as a reward." This is sorta the opposite of what's been happening to the OP.

All-in-all, I love the way the classing goes and it often makes for some exciting Race-monitor watching. I'd even be willing to entertain some re-classing after the end of Saturday if there's a run-away in any of the classes. Retroactive penalty laps for accidental mis-classing sorta thing.

Class B is sorta a wasteland which is why I probably grumble a bit when I'm stuck in it.  It's like being a sophomore in high school. There are a few standouts but the majority are just kinda anonymous and there to fill up the hallways and just keep the school in business.

Our first few races, we had fun playing the game with in the game and trying to stack the cards in our favor for a good class finish.  We spent lots of time and effort on themes, costumes, and related bribes.  But after a couple races, our car got bumped to class A despite not having any success in B.  At first, I was a little miffed since our team and car has no chance to win class A but I soon realized it was liberating.  Now that we are class A, I just concentrate of prepping a car that will be fun to drive for the team.  I don't have to play games trying to hide fresh parts, repainting the car with yet another theme, or waste effort convincing the rest of the team to wear the costumes my girlfriend and I spent significant time and money collecting.

Best I can tell, the following things got our car bumped to class A.

- It's a Mazda.  Our car is a '93 Mazda 626 w/2.0L 4 cylinder motor.
- I did nothing to the motor.  It's totally stock right down to the factory air box and exhaust manifold.  I suspect Phil might let us run class B if I was dumb enough to mount an E-bay header and CAI.
- I made enough room in the budget to buy fresh struts from RockAuto.  Our car fails the sit on the hood test.
- I frequently replace all the little things that are budget exempt like wheel bearings, ball joints, and tie-rod ends.  Our car finishes races.
- My girlfriend and I aren't racers, but we are engineers.  So, we show up at the track prepared, stocked with tools and spares, and we have a checklist for everything.
- To reduce the cost of buying new racing brake pads after every race, I updated the front rotors and calipers to Mazda Speed6 parts.  Now pads last 3+ races but the car looks pretty racy going through BS inspection.

It turns out that the parts that really make a difference can't be easily hidden during BS inspections, and, the influence of themes is rather arbitrary.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

Themes, bribes, etc. have no effect on classing. We are trying to keep each of the three classes as competitive for as many racers as possible. This means that we tend to err on the side of the higher class, because we don't want a team running away with Class C or Class C by 25 laps (which happens sometimes, because classing is an inexact art). So, if your team runs what we call a "B+" car (too good for B, not good enough for A), it will most likely get Class A with zero laps or Class B with some handicap laps.

We take a lot of things into account when classing cars. If we've seen the same car with the same drivers a bunch of times and we're pretty confident we know how well that team does, we will sometimes put a Class B car in Class A (because the team organization is very good, car is reliable, drivers don't get black flags, etc), or we might put a car you'd expect to be in Class A into Class B if we know the team is a bunch of clowns who will lock their tools in their trailer and lose the key, get four black flags in the first hour of racing, etc. Raw lap times don't mean a whole lot when classing a car, but where the team finishes in the standings in previous races does mean something.

I'd say that if you want to make a case that your car deserves to be in a lower class than you keep getting, the worst way to go about convincing the judges is to whine about how other teams get treated better than you, it's all unfair, etc. (this is what teams in California and Texas do, and it doesn't work so well). Instead, print out the standings for the races you've done in the past, so we can see where the car has finished in those races. If you have a stock early Integra (a classic example of a car that can be either Class B or Class A, depending on team skills and equipment) and you can show us that you've just barely managed to squeeze into the top third of the standings at all your previous races, you can make a decent case for getting into Class B (if you have an E30, however, the only way to get into Class B is going to involve having a squishy stock suspension, automatic transmission, and verifiably skill-deprived drivers).

As I keep telling people, the point of the classing is to maximize the number of teams who feel they have a hope in hell of competing for a class win. There's a lot of subjective judgment made by the Lemons Supreme Court in this process, but this judgment is based on many races of real-world Lemons experience.

Judge Phil wrote:

Themes, bribes, etc. have no effect on classing. We are trying to keep each of the three classes as competitive for as many racers as possible. This means that we tend to err on the side of the higher class, because we don't want a team running away with Class C or Class C by 25 laps (which happens sometimes, because classing is an inexact art). So, if your team runs what we call a "B+" car (too good for B, not good enough for A), it will most likely get Class A with zero laps or Class B with some handicap laps.

We take a lot of things into account when classing cars. If we've seen the same car with the same drivers a bunch of times and we're pretty confident we know how well that team does, we will sometimes put a Class B car in Class A (because the team organization is very good, car is reliable, drivers don't get black flags, etc), or we might put a car you'd expect to be in Class A into Class B if we know the team is a bunch of clowns who will lock their tools in their trailer and lose the key, get four black flags in the first hour of racing, etc. Raw lap times don't mean a whole lot when classing a car, but where the team finishes in the standings in previous races does mean something. With the B+ cars, I tell the team to email me after the race, so we can discuss a residual value that will let the team make the car a bit faster, so it can compete in A.

I'd say that if you want to make a case that your car deserves to be in a lower class than you keep getting, the worst way to go about convincing the judges is to whine about how other teams get treated better than you, it's all unfair, etc. (this is what teams in California and Texas do, and it doesn't work so well; teams on the East Coast do this too, but since they complain and argue about everything we sort of tune it out). Instead, print out the standings for the races you've done in the past, so we can see where the car has finished in those races. If you have a stock early Integra (a classic example of a car that can be either Class B or Class A, depending on team skills and equipment) and you can show us that you've just barely managed to squeeze into the top third of the standings at all your previous races, you can make a decent case for getting into Class B (if you have an E30, however, the only way to get into Class B is going to involve having a squishy stock suspension, automatic transmission, and verifiably skill-deprived drivers).

As I keep telling people, the point of the classing is to maximize the number of teams who feel they have a hope in hell of competing for a class win. There's a lot of subjective judgment made by the Lemons Supreme Court in this process, but this judgment is based on many races of real-world Lemons experience.

So important Phil had to post it twice.

I only mentioned bribing as a supplement to trying to sway your classing very slightly.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I've always seen the bribes as more of a tip for all the work everyone is doing to let us race, and maybe a bit of an apology for whatever stupid things we will do because we are idiots.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

16 (edited by Baron 2014-12-18 01:50 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

We take a lot of things into account when classing cars. If we've seen the same car with the same drivers a bunch of times and we're pretty confident we know how well that team does, we will sometimes put a Class B car in Class A (because the team organization is very good, car is reliable, drivers don't get black flags, etc), or we might put a car you'd expect to be in Class A into Class B if we know the team is a bunch of clowns who will lock their tools in their trailer and lose the key, get four black flags in the first hour of racing, etc. Raw lap times don't mean a whole lot when classing a car, but where the team finishes in the standings in previous races does mean something.

I'd say that if you want to make a case that your car deserves to be in a lower class than you keep getting, the worst way to go about convincing the judges is to whine about how other teams get treated better than you, it's all unfair, etc. (this is what teams in California and Texas do, and it doesn't work so well). Instead, print out the standings for the races you've done in the past, so we can see where the car has finished in those races. If you have a stock early Integra (a classic example of a car that can be either Class B or Class A, depending on team skills and equipment) and you can show us that you've just barely managed to squeeze into the top third of the standings at all your previous races, you can make a decent case for getting into Class B (if you have an E30, however, the only way to get into Class B is going to involve having a squishy stock suspension, automatic transmission, and verifiably skill-deprived drivers).

You mean like we would have been in 16th place for class B at the last race, 6th in class C, or 56th overall?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Oh you guys and your fast cars. Just buy an old diesel mercedes and DOMINATE C class... once... on accident... and get thrown to the dogs in B class.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

BTW, I am not complaining about Lemons classing.  I think it's brilliant.  Classing and rules will always come down to some subjective decision no matter how big a rule book you write.  I was just sharing the things that seemed to influenced our classing.  We have embraced class A.  In fact, I am adding more cheaty parts this winter so we can go for Class A dominance or more likely blow up trying.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

Our class B car actually turned a faster lap than our Class A car.  Beat it in lap count too!  Do I think our Class A car should be in Class B?........No!  We just need to find out what's wrong with our Class A car!  (...my first thought would be A LOT!)

I like the way Classing is done!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Maybe one day...if my wife leaves me, I will build a second car for class A, cause yes, I do have occassional wet dreams about being behind the wheel of the Jew-WOP-E weaving baskets as opposed to being blown by like a corner worker at COTA during an F1 race when in the Cortina.  However, our first race was a disaster with melting the engine. Phil then laughed at me for the aluminum radiator and pep-boys "build your own" CAI as attempts to manage overheating (Long yellow on Saturday afternoon proved that a FAIL), and then sunday to have the only thing we haven't had to rebuild eject itself from the car (that would be my rear wheel complete with half-shaft bouncing around the bowl at NHMS, thank you).

But we did get more track time this second race and at one point, with the Daytona in the pits, even had third place in C for a brief bit. So despite not taking the checker either day, we felt some sense of accomplishment... "We're polishing up that fine POS" really nice.. and just one day it will end up wedged in that candy a$$. 

Point to this post?  Ditch the Mazdas and get a 60's car you know absolutely nothing about... You'll love it even more...

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

WarpdSpazm wrote:

But we did get more track time this second race and at one point, with the Daytona in the pits, even had third place in C for a brief bit. So despite not taking the checker either day, we felt some sense of accomplishment... "We're polishing up that fine POS" really nice.. and just one day it will end up wedged in that candy a$$.

you got track time your first two races. Talk to me when you win back to back "I Got Screwed" awards. I've worked hard to get the daytona where it is. It's on this spring. I want that class win.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Judge Phil wrote:

As I keep telling people, the point of the classing is to maximize the number of teams who feel they have a hope in hell of competing for a class win.

I'm not so sure about that.  You keep putting our two-stroke 96 in Class C even though we don't stand a chance there.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

jesus, just man up, take some personal responsibility, and get better at cheating.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:

jesus, just man up, take some personal responsibility, and get better at cheating.

or bring a much crappier car

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Pretty sure the OP wasn't trying to shirk any personal responsibility. He's just trying to figure out why his two cars have attracted penalty laps while other almost identical cars have not. I think Judge Phil answered it well: he takes into account the apparent capability of the team members to do well in the race as well as the potential of the car. Ian and Mario are capable drivers and with one or two other drivers of similar talent could potentially do quite well, and a previous top ten at Thunderhill proves that.

Still, an almost stock Miata has very, very little chance to threaten for an overall win at Thunderhill or Sonoma, so Class A plus BS laps for it does seem a tad harsh. [shrug]

There may be some anti-Miata / anti-E30 type of bias creeping in, but that's part of Lemons equation. I'm just glad no anti-Volvo bias has crept in... yet.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX