Topic: Hinged Firewall

We're working on an rear engine swap car and we've been having a huge debate on the best way to build the firewall.  We want enough room in the engine bay(rear half of the car) to fix any breaks but also retain the rear visibility.  Someone had the idea to hinge the top of the firewall like that hatchback shelve.  Would this be legal ? 

I notice that all the crazy motorcycle RWD swaps use the passenger door to access the engine.  How to they seal between the door and the fire wall?  Also the Gnome team had a big hole what wasn't sealed where the chain came out.  How did they pass tech?

Check out our smoke breathing two stroke monster build...I mean imminent failure at http://metroneige.blogspot.com.

Re: Hinged Firewall

You could always make a panel that uses dzus fasteners to hold it on. It could be a light piece of sheet metal that would only require a screw driver to release and then it could be taken completely out of the way!

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

The Gnome has an aluminum cover that goes over the chain all the way to the back of the car.  You must have seen pictures of the car before we installed the chain cover.  The seal with the passenger door is just a tight fit with an extra aluminum flap to make a flame proof barrier.

All the firewall has to do is block flame.  If you use a hinged section it will be OK as long as the gap between the panels is sealed with aluminum HVAC tape or some other flame proof barrier.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

The Gnome has an aluminum cover that goes over the chain all the way to the back of the car.  You must have seen pictures of the car before we installed the chain cover.  The seal with the passenger door is just a tight fit with an extra aluminum flap to make a flame proof barrier.

All the firewall has to do is block flame.  If you use a hinged section it will be OK as long as the gap between the panels is sealed with aluminum HVAC tape or some other flame proof barrier.

what he said!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2