Re: North Dallas Hooptie - Who's in??

how do most do refueling at eagles canyon?  do most refuel from jugs or use their pumps?  Don't want to haul a bunch of fuel in jugs if we don't need to.  this being our first race we are not worried about being super competitive but want to stay out on the track and stay out of trouble.  I did send john some pictures of our cage he had some recommendations but said we should be ok for this race.  any other advice for this track? we are bringing generator and welder just in case I am guessing there are no electric hookups for rv.

We usually fuel on pit road from jugs.  Pumps are a good option for splash and go if necessary.  It is a long ways to the closest gas pump outside the track.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

rpnance wrote:

how do most do refueling at eagles canyon?  do most refuel from jugs or use their pumps?  Don't want to haul a bunch of fuel in jugs if we don't need to.  this being our first race we are not worried about being super competitive but want to stay out on the track and stay out of trouble.  I did send john some pictures of our cage he had some recommendations but said we should be ok for this race.  any other advice for this track? we are bringing generator and welder just in case I am guessing there are no electric hookups for rv.

We usually fuel from jugs on pit lane, but the pumps are not far away if you don't want to deal with that hassle.

I don't recall seeing any electric hookups for RV's. There is a large semi-paved area just after you enter the main gates (before you drive up the hill) that is ideal for RV parking and many of us park our trailers down there during the race. There is a paved and gravel race paddock up the hill to the right that is pretty large and I've seen RV's in there before, but it does kind of fill up.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I am pleased to announce I will be joining Team OK Speed's previous bacon-loving, pit-mates; Team Tetanus for the NDH.

The refueling from jugs on the pit row is standard, as is the guy who will ride up to you on a 4 wheeler, mid-fuel, with a lit cigarette hanging from his lip to inform you that you are dangerous because your helmet visor is cracked.

If you don't refuel your jugs from the pumps at the track or a transfer tank, plan on a good 40 minute to 1 hour round trip. Same for the hotels, parts stores and most of the food sources. They have a cafe on site and two local places close by, but if you are looking after hours best plan on a little time on a farm road. It is a great track and the owner is awesome, but it is quite remote. The paddock facilities are actually some of my favorites on the Lemons circuit.

It has been a little while, but there weren't any RV hookups, but a few folks did run a 110 from the paddock. Its probably better to run a generator at that point.

But as I mentioned, the track rocks. I have missed it and I am looking forward to another great weekend.

The Other Idiot of Effluencecy

30 (edited by Profromdover 2015-02-19 10:49 PM)

Vince has done it again. Another uber informative aerial recon map from the steel trap like mind of our own beloved Vincent.  This should help out you first timers as well as seasoned veterans.  It is amazing how fast Vince can whip this stuff out.  Its like he's some sort of intel savant.  Try this on for size:

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/profromdover_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslzdqx4ff.jpg

In addition to this Vince put together a short compendium of local eateries in Decatur that he frequents.  When we asked him how they rated on the planet Vince he just muttered "do I look like Yelp? Hell, none of these places have killed anybody recently..." 

Yipes!  We definitely have to get Vince back on his meds.  Regardless here are some ok places.  If these don't work out there are always the usual fast food and chain joints:

Sweetie Pies Ribeyes - On the square in Decatur.  Good eats Thumbs up - Have beer/wine

Casa Torres - On 51 south of town about 1 1/2 miles right side - Good Tex Mex - Full Bar

Roosters Roadhouse - BBQ/Burgers on the square - Good eats Thumbs up - Have beer/wine
Whistle-stop Café - Good Breakfast/ Lunch - Not open on Sat/Sun

Veronas Pizza & Italian - On 287 - Good eats Thumbs up - Have beer/wine

Seans BBQ - On 287 by Veronas - Good eats Thumbs up - Not sure on beer, New bar I do believe

Fuzzy Taco's - On the square - Good eats Thumbs up - Full bar

Yesterdays - 1950s blue plate

Welcome to Decatur,

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing
Co-Builder of the world's winningest Toyota Solara SVE

thanks guys I appreciate that I just took a look at the forecast for next weekend looks like it might get a little wet. I guess we will round up as many fuel jugs as we can I have no idea how much fuel our 4 cyl. accord will use.

Yea......the forecast for Saturday is Snow!

Hope we don't have a repeat of last year!.....That was hell!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Heres another nugget just 7 1/2 miles from the track.  Neat place.

Greenwood Grocery
1714 County Rd 2740
Decatur, TX 76234
Phone number (940) 466-3000

http://www.yelp.com/biz/greenwood-grocery-decatur

Down home old-time grocery store/lunch counter.  Their hours are:

Friday 8-5

Saturday 7-8:30, All you can eat fish fry 5-8:30 along with a live band.

From the Yelpster:

"Now talking about being out in the sticks. Folks it don't get more country than this. This little country grocery store and grill is a true Texas treasure. Located off County road 2740 is one of the greatest little unknowns that will make you smile. The Burgers, and Sandwiches are the absolute best. And breakfast too. On Saturday night you won't sink your teeth into better fried catfish, with all the trimmings. Cole slaw, hush puppies, fries. And it's fresh catfish, not frozen. It's hard to find, so you will need to get a Yahoo, or Google map. It's small so go early. If you have to wait a while believe me it's worth waiting for. I live in Keller and I go at least twice a month. Live band on Saturday night too. made up mainly of people who live around the area."

"Great Burgers, Great People at this family run grill. Seriously - the food is simple, but it's great. Some of the best burgers I've ever had, and at a very reasonable price to boot!  If you're looking to get out of the city, and experience for a laid back place where people still care -  look no further! This place brings back mmories of where I grew up and spent my summers - WELL worth the drive from Fort Worth."

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing

Are we allowed to stud our race tires?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1NNVTu07CcY/VOddQ0zGa7I/AAAAAAAAAig/nWBoIOy0ldQ/s274/Decatur%252010-day.jpg

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Are we allowed to stud our race tires?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1NNVTu07CcY/VOddQ0zGa7I/AAAAAAAAAig/nWBoIOy0ldQ/s274/Decatur%252010-day.jpg

http://cdn.nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/olaf-snowman.jpg?874fb4

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I assume the race will still run in light rain? Any tips on driving in the rain? Obviously a typical plastic rain suit could not be worn over your firesuit.

BrandonAGr wrote:

I assume the race will still run in light rain? Any tips on driving in the rain?
Obviously a typical plastic rain suit could not be worn over your firesuit.

This question is because you have a convertible?   The answer is drive faster.
The faster you go, the less rain can fall on the driver.   Yes, drive faster.   That's the cure.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

no - you have it backwards - drive slow and let us FWD cars pass easily - that is what happened at MSR in November!!

BrandonAGr wrote:

I assume the race will still run in light rain? Any tips on driving in the rain? Obviously a typical plastic rain suit could not be worn over your firesuit.

Lite rain, heavy rain, hurricanes.  Rain does not stop the racing.  Tornados, lightening, sleet will and have stopped the racing.  Racing in the rain sucks.  AWD cars have a distinct advantage.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

rcazwillis wrote:
BrandonAGr wrote:

Lite rain, heavy rain, hurricanes.  Rain does not stop the racing.  Tornados, lightening, sleet will and have stopped the racing.  Racing in the rain sucks.  AWD cars have a distinct advantage.

That's the key word here.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

I know they don't like gasoline in the covered garages.  What is the rule on propane heaters?

Current forecast for Decatur shows a low of 21 F on Thursday night with snow and rain Friday morning. 29 F is the low for Friday night. Rain and possible ice through Saturday morning. Sunday will be a little warmer with more rain.

Can we race on chains?

SpaceFrank wrote:

Current forecast for Decatur shows a low of 21 F on Thursday night with snow and rain Friday morning. 29 F is the low for Friday night. Rain and possible ice through Saturday morning. Sunday will be a little warmer with more rain.

Can we race on chains?

Maybe it will help if you put 2 chainz on your car

http://www.missinfo.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2chainz.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

44 (edited by aaronbreckenridge 2015-02-23 05:02 PM)

J10495T wrote:

no - you have it backwards - drive slow and let us FWD cars pass easily - that is what happened at MSR in November!!

I got passed by a minivan in the rain at MSR. So embarrassing. This was after I looped it on the parade lap and had the f.o.g. put in me. Hoping to not have a repeat of that.

Looks like the weather is going to be nice for the weekend.  A shot out of the backyard 15 minutes ago...

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/profromdover_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsminpvjfv.jpg

Last year, if I remember, folks had grills going in the garage for chow.  I would think heaters would be tolerated.  Just kind of respect Rule #1 of racing, dont do stupid stuff.  If you have a heater going make sure you keep a belly button in the area watching/using it...

Bill

46 (edited by ninjacoco 2015-02-24 12:52 PM)

Oh geez. I'm in a RWD car I've never driven before. (Hi, Mental!) I suck at even driving MY RWD car in the slippery slipslip.

A couple questions:

1. Is there an open wifi signal at the track? I need to do work sometimes and email pics to Non-Judging Judge Saucy Minx.

2. Where's the least sketchy/closest place to stay? Last year's experience with the America's Best Value Inn was not bueno. I thought about camping in the truck, but hahahahahahaha snow no no no hahahaha screw that.

You and your pesky need for clean sheets.

Our team is staying at the La Quinta this year, last year we were at the Day's Inn.

Call me a wimp but I have driven enough in the cold rain and snow in the past on a track and I pay to have fun racing and was hoping that going to Texas would be warmer than Iowa.
When the weather is going to be what is being predicted it's just putting laps around the track at a turtle pace and hope somebody doesn't do something stupid in front or behind you.
I would much rather take a 20% loss to forward our entry fee to another event in the future.

Lemons Pro Tip:
The cafeteria may be open/unlocked on Saturday night for some of the flaggers to camp out in there. It's heated.

Lemons Pro Tip #2:
The cafeteria is likely locked at night on Friday, but the hallway to the bathrooms is accessible, still indoors, and it will fit more than 1 horizontal sleeping bag. Plus it too is heated.

The coldest Lemons race in the history of the series, by far, was this race last year. I can't imagine it being any worse.