Re: North Dallas Hooptie - Who's in??

You just jinxed it!  Thanks!  ;-)

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

ninjacoco wrote:

Oh geez. I'm in a RWD car I've never driven before. (Hi, Mental!) I suck at even driving MY RWD car in the slippery slipslip.

A couple questions:

1. Is there an open wifi signal at the track? I need to do work sometimes and email pics to Non-Judging Judge Saucy Minx.

2. Where's the least sketchy/closest place to stay? Last year's experience with the America's Best Value In was not bueno. I thought about camping in the truck, but hahahahahahaha snow no no no hahahaha screw that.

A1. wifi signal at the track?   Thats funny. Not so much with the wifi from what I recall last year.  The various pit areas are spread out so that doesn't really work.  You'll be forced to focus on making that white hot machine of yours fly around the track...

A2.  America's Best?  That's some sort of code for "clapped out second hand Holiday Inn".  I stayed in one of those in Dayton Ohio a few years back.  Seriousl you could see through the sheets. Blech...  Just yelp hotels in Decatur.  Many of them are less than five years old and include the free breakfast thing.  For the most part they dont suck.

I've been living in Texas for 30+ years (15 in Decatur) and last year's race weather was some of the weirdest I've seen.  We normally get the worst weather at the beginning and end of winter.  Go figure.  Our weather is just 3 or 4 degrees cooler than what you see in Fort Worth.  I was cutting my yard Saturday night because it had been so warm and I'm looking out at snow now.  My old scoutmaster said if you can keep your feet warm everything else will be fine. Dress very warm but don't forget your shorts...

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing
Co-Builder of the world's winningest Toyota Solara SVE

Current prognostication is 60% chance of snow Friday with a high of 33, 10% chance of rain Saturday with a high of 39, and 60% chance of rain Sunday with a balmy high of 60.

YMMV, WAC, STCWN, etc.

Toni

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

75Civic wrote:

You and your pesky need for clean sheets.

Our team is staying at the La Quinta this year, last year we were at the Day's Inn.

We'll also be at the La Quinta. ¡¿Friday Night Party Time?!

Last year we were at the Baymont. It was pretty nice, but more expensive if I recall correctly.

75Civic wrote:

You and your pesky need for clean sheets.

Our team is staying at the La Quinta this year, last year we were at the Day's Inn.

Heh, see-through sheets nailed it. I went through several sheets that were dirty until I settled on a holey set. Ick.

It looks like my team's at the Baymont, then campin'. Neato. I should be able to find warmth for at least Thursday night.

Judge Phil wrote:

The coldest Lemons race in the history of the series, by far, was this race last year. I can't imagine it being any worse.

YOU JUST JINXED IT.

Instead of crap on Sunday, it looks like we're getting crap on Friday and Saturday.

I'm more worried about getting my RV there than I am racing in this crap.  I trust the worst red-mist wanna be pro Lemons racers more than I trust 80% of the liscenced drivers in Alabama and Arkansas when the weather goes bad.

But you know what they say; a bad weekend racing still beats a good weekend working.

Well maybe not so much they as much as me. But they should say it, because its true.

The Other Idiot of Effluencecy

I guess I should go ahead and drain all the water out of the car now so it wont be a giant block of ice after towing 5 hours in the cold Friday morning?

TeamRadicus wrote:

Current prognostication is 60% chance of snow Friday with a high of 33, 10% chance of rain Saturday with a high of 39, and 60% chance of rain Sunday with a balmy high of 60.

YMMV, WAC, STCWN, etc.

Toni

The weather monkeys have new options: Friday 70% chance of snow, high of 32, low of 27, then Saturday 30% chance of precipitation hovering around freezing, and an amazing Sunday with a 50% chance of showers on the 40-50 degree range. Heaven!

TTFN
Toni

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

TeamRadicus wrote:
The weather monkeys have new options: Friday 70% chance of snow, high of 32, low of 27, then Saturday 30% chance of precipitation hovering around freezing, and an amazing Sunday with a 50% chance of showers on the 40-50 degree range.

I've said it before.....
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/1526449_645676048808091_1691583960_n_zpsada7e671.jpg

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Cmon Big Bird, don't rub it in!

Winter here in Phoenix is a real bitch. Today I decided to take the motorcycle with a windshield on my commute, if it gets real cold, later this week, I might switch to the full face helmet smile

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

TeamRadicus wrote:

Current prognostication is 60% chance of snow Friday with a high of 31, low of 25, 50% chance of freezing rain Saturday with a high of 36, and 60% chance of rain Sunday with a high of 55.

Updated with the current weather monkey guesses ... I don't have warm/fuzzy feelings about this race ...

Toni

63 (edited by Spank 2015-02-26 09:07 AM)

Call me soft, but I feel this race should be postponed.

It's not the dangers of the event, it's the dangers of getting to and from the event.

At Buttonwillow when they called the race early a couple of years ago, it was the packing and loading in the highest heat with the track's demand we exit the track on Sunday by a certain hour that was the deadliest, not so much the racing in in an oven while wearing a quilt.

Lemons has the ability to email and call each and every registered participant with the licensing and registration process.

Sounds as if It's the prudent thing to do.

Ending an event early because of weather only turns the masses loose onto public roads AFTER it's too bad to drive in a controlled environment.

*Note-- I haven't looked at the weather report myself (maybe it's not so bad and I'm reading a bunch of hyperbole) and I'm sure Roland Accu-weather is advising HQ as to his recommendations

Well, at least in this case, the weather will be improved by the time the race is over. The messy part is getting there, which should at least be in lower-traffic conditions.

I for one am not looking forward to the drive up to Dallas, as someone needs to drive the Dart in order to break in the engine. I'll probably wear my firesuit on top of a couple layers for that.

Spank wrote:

It's not the dangers of the event, it's the dangers of getting to and from the event.

At Buttonwillow when they called the race early a couple of years ago, it was the packing and loading in the highest heat with the track's demand we exit the track on Sunday by a certain hour that was the deadliest, not so much the racing in in an oven while wearing a quilt.

Lemons has the ability to email and call each and every registered participant with the licensing and registration process.

Ending an event early because of weather only turns the masses loose onto public roads AFTER it's too bad to drive in a controlled environment.

*Note-- I haven't looked at the weather report myself (maybe it's not so bad and I'm reading a bunch of hyperbole) and I'm sure Roland Accu-weather is advising HQ as to his recommendations

I agree 100%. This is going to be a horribly miserable race, and for the life of me I cant figure out why HQ keeps scheduling ECR for winter races. Even late fall is a better option than early spring. Im sitting here (on the south side of DFW watching it snow.

From NWS:

Friday Snow likely. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 28. Wind chill values between 7 and 17. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Friday Night A chance of freezing rain and sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 26. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Saturday A chance of freezing rain before noon, then a chance of rain or freezing rain. Cloudy, with a high near 34. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Saturday Night A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 33. East southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday A 40 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 51. East southeast wind around 5 mph.

Since the weather is going to be really bad, I have a feeling most will be going to a hotel, and may not even be able to get to the track saturday morning.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Could be worse...

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/profromdover_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnv6hasyh.jpg

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing
Co-Builder of the world's winningest Toyota Solara SVE

I plan on camping there Friday and Saturday night. Froze my ass off at last year's race, so better prepared this time around. Are there any campfire pits at ECR?

Just emailed Maggie @ ECR. There are not any campfire pits at ECR, but she's OK with us brining one as long as we're not stupid. Planning to set it up at the bottom of the hill in the gravel parking lot and use our trailer as a wind break.

I'm not looking forward to it.

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Spank wrote:

Last year's ECR race was dangerous getting home.
This year it'll be dangerous getting there.

I'll just say I'm looking at all the empty weekends on the ECR website calendar in April and May with much envy.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

As much as I love to drive SUVs in anger, I really wouldn't be upset if this was called.

Team Border Patrol, Houston TX
'97 Cherokee - Organizer's Choice TWS '12; Class B Champions ECR '14
'89 Comanche - Class C Champions ECR '13

72 (edited by cpchampion 2015-02-26 02:08 PM)

Go_Vols wrote:

As much as I love to drive SUVs in anger, I really wouldn't be upset if this was called.

Considering that I saw a Facebook post from Shawn already at the airport to get to Dallas, that's seeming unlikely. (As Phil mentioned in the "meet the judges" post, Shawn is serving as Hand of Justice for the weekend. Sajeev is the other hand. Or something.)

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

73 (edited by Mulry 2015-02-26 02:06 PM)

Baron wrote:
Spank wrote:

I agree 100%. This is going to be a horribly miserable race, and for the life of me I cant figure out why HQ keeps scheduling ECR for winter races. Even late fall is a better option than early spring. Im sitting here (on the south side of DFW watching it snow.

FWIW, when I spoke to Jay about this earlier this week, he offered that he thinks this should be an April race from here on out. I suspect that the hope was that last year was the outlier. I hope that he remembers that when doing scheduling for 2016.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Baron wrote:
Spank wrote:

FWIW, when I spoke to Jay about this earlier this week, he offered that he thinks this should be an April race from here on out. I suspect that the hope was that last year was the outlier. I hope that he remembers that when doing scheduling for 2016.

I think the "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me" will come into play if the doesnt remember that next year.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Okay ... Team Radicus is bailing. I'm not willing to tow 4000lb for only the second time through snow and ice so my newbie team can send a horribly unreliable boat around the track in freezing rain. Sorry if this isn't a very LeMony attitude, but I'm in it for some safe race fun, and this weekend doesn't sound much like that.

That being said, my most experienced driver has non-refundable plane tickets, a drivers wristband, a stack of cash, and is deranged enough that he's still making the trip! If anyone has some last-minute seat time for sale, please let me know and I'll put you in touch with him. Thanks advance.

Stay safe folks.

Toni