Re: North Dallas Hooptie - Who's in??

As much as it all sucks -- and I towed there in the driving snow, stuck it out the entire time, biffed it on the ice rink paddock, and loaded up in some nice cold drizzle -- there was nothing else that could be done about it. HQ can't call the race off in advance without getting stuck with the track rental fee unless the track says it can't provide a functioning and safe racing facility, and the track is typically (and understandably, given the variance with weather forecasting) unlikely to say it can't provide the racing facility in a useable condition unless it's plainly obvious days in advance. Does it suck for those of us who shelled out a lot of $$ for the trip, hotels, tow gas, etc? Sure. Is life fair? Ha. None of us are so naive. You buys your ticket and you takes your chances. I wish everyone a safe drive home.

The official weather/refund policy -- straight from Jay to me to you -- is that when a race is scrubbed in its entirety, "the team captain can choose a full refund of all fees, or to roll all fees over to another race. The decision applies to the whole team -- re-distribution to individual members is the captain's job"

As for TARP, we will be rolling over our fees for the Joliet race, because round-the-clock endurance racing is what separates the men from the boys. I invite all of you to join us.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Cut and paste from an email from Jay....

If weather forces the whole race, or nearly the whole race, to be cancelled, they'll be able to choose between a refund or credit for another event.

Everyone should call his personal cell phone and wish him a happy birthday.

b

This space for rent.

We just got back home it was our first Lemons experience at least I know the car will pass tech and we got practice swapping tires and wheels and draining and refilling coolant and water a couple times.  Being newbies we poked around a lot of cars checking them out and everyone was super cool and answered any questions we had.  I don't guess there will be any chance they might be able to reschedule this race is there?  If not I guess we will give the other series a try, we can't wait to get some seat time and November is too far away.

My opinion is that any team that showed up and passed tech inspection should get and "I Got Screwed" Trophy. It should be a hand flipping the middle finger shaped like an icicle.

rpnance wrote:

We just got back home it was our first Lemons experience at least I know the car will pass tech and we got practice swapping tires and wheels and draining and refilling coolant and water a couple times.  Being newbies we poked around a lot of cars checking them out and everyone was super cool and answered any questions we had.  I don't guess there will be any chance they might be able to reschedule this race is there?  If not I guess we will give the other series a try, we can't wait to get some seat time and November is too far away.

BFE GP June 13/14 High Plains Raceway Colorado.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

131 (edited by ninjacoco 2015-03-01 06:26 PM)

I, too, had way more fun than I should have on a weekend where I couldn't get any racing done. I GOT TO PLAY IN THE SNOW, YOU GUYS.

BrandonAGr wrote:

A video from ~10am, before there was 4+ inches of snow on the track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR7FwbV2_As

That video is simply wonderful. I wish I had been running video in the truck when it went out for practice laps!

132 (edited by crashandburn 2015-03-01 06:37 PM)

I just got back to Houston a couple of hours ago.  It's too bad the race had to be canceled, but it was the only smart thing to do.  Even with a canceled event, Lemons still came through with meeting new people,  catching up with old friends, enjoying some good food and good drinks!  The trip up was way more treacherous than the trip coming back.

FYI.....The guy who broke his arm was a member of Tetanus racing and is a pit crewman for the team.

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Y'know, hooning around in the snow makes me really, really, reallyreallyreally want to try some ice racing.

Is there a digital hat up yet for the crewmember's medical fund?

ninjacoco wrote:

Is there a digital hat up yet for the crewmember's medical fund?

Thanks for asking!...I was planning to set one up in the next few days.  Trying to figure out how much he'll need.  He's on a fixed income and has no insurance.

I'm planning on a Go Fund Me or a Paypal Account (or both.)

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Please let us know when you get a fund set up.  Hate to see injuries, especially non-racing injuries, at the track,

Thanks you Nick and Jay for doing right by us.  It doesn't offset the travel cost and stuff, but we realize everybody gets to bite the big shit sandwich on stuff like this.  Is there any chance you guys can re-evaluate the Texas dates.  I know the heat sucks ass, but this is the second year in a row wintery weather has had a significant impact on the North Texas race.

Burdizzo wrote:

Please let us know when you get a fund set up.  Hate to see injuries, especially non-racing injuries, at the track,

Thanks you Nick and Jay for doing right by us.  It doesn't offset the travel cost and stuff, but we realize everybody gets to bite the big shit sandwich on stuff like this.  Is there any chance you guys can re-evaluate the Texas dates.  I know the heat sucks ass, but this is the second year in a row wintery weather has had a significant impact on the North Texas race.

Funny you should bring this up... I mentioned the same idea to Steven McDaniel earlier today. I know this past weekend was a freak weather event, but the weather in North Texas for February is always sketchy & the weather for Houston MSR races has been just as painful the last few years.

Why not just switch the Dallas & Houston events? Have the Houston MSR race in Feb/March timeframe & have the Dallas ECR race in October/November timeframe.

BTW,.. GREAT to see Jay & the whole Lemons crew step up  about credits or refunds. I know they don't control the weather, but any other venue would say that we're all S.O.L... This is why I love running Lemons!!!

Team Ratsun will be BACK!!!

Allen Wilson - Ratsun Racing - Gator-O-Rama 2012 = Flock of Seagulls - North Dallas Hooptie 2013 = We Got Screwed - North Dallas Hooptie 2014 = 450SLC Winner IOE - Gator-O-Rama 2015 =  I Got Screwed  - North Dallas Hooptie 2016 = Ratsun Winner IOE - MSR Houston 2017 = Winner Class C - NOLA 2018 = WTF40 - Winner IOE

Orrrrrrr....we could pop in a late spring or early fall date.

(because racecar)

Burdizzo wrote:

Please let us know when you get a fund set up.  Hate to see injuries, especially non-racing injuries, at the track

Thanks a bunch, we'll post links here and to our Facebook page as soon as it's set up. As Brett said, Carl's on a fixed income -- lost his job a little while ago -- so any generosity will be a big help. If all the teams who couldn't race can afford to toss a little of their usual zip-tie/race-fuel budget to Carl's hospital bill it will be appreciated.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

I want to start out by saying that everyone had a great attitude this weekend. We knew we were taking chances and we probably should not be getting on the track. The only negative thing I will say is ECR was significantly unprepared for the weather. If they would have taken precautions it could have prevented some of the issues. SALT and SAND!!

Everyone was great, pulling together and helping out whenever needed.

Thanks for a memorable weekend,
Luke

If there had been a pallet full of ice melt, a pile of sand, half a dozen good snow shovels, and a truck with a snowplow at ECR this would have been a very different event. We still may not have raced but everything from the track access road off of FM 51 to the parking lot and the paddock areas would have been much safer for everyone. None of that stuff is free, however, and it would have taken some serious foresight and planning from ECR to get that sort of stuff ready in time, particularly the snow plow.

In 20/20 hindsight, calling off the event on Wednesday or Thursday when the sub-freezing temps and frozen precip forecasts were clear would have been preferable to avoid having so many teams brave the bad Texas roads, and the few folks that did fly in might have avoided that was well. Not begrudging anyone for hoping against hope that the temps would warm up and we'd get some racing in. I'm glad that wasn't attempted. Of course if the event had been called off on Wed. or Thurs. the weekend would have likely been 45 degrees with some drizzle. Mother Nature wins the Overall for this one.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

"pass the hat" thread for Carl's arm is over here.

Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

142 (edited by Mulry 2015-03-02 03:17 PM)

Bear in mind that when this race was the last weekend in Feb and was in Houston, it had pretty crappy weather there too. Our first race was Feb 09 and it was below freezing overnight and the wind was howling, overnight wind chills were in the 20's. It wasn't ECR-levels of crappy, but it wasn't exactly great either. Feb 2010 was chilly too, and the early year race at TWS in '12 was really nasty weather too. Texas in February isn't Florida in February.

I suspect that this race will get bumped to late March or April for next year. I may have some basis for that conclusion other than it being a WAG or mere speculation. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Pat,
You bring up a good point. I forgot how cold TWS was or how much it rained at MSR in 2010. Not sure there is a good answer besides moving the date or the event? I guess we just hope we get an actual spring date in Texas?
g

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

Yeah, the difference between February and March can be pretty dramatic for both ECR and MSRH's areas.

74 races so far.

Its really hit or miss this time of year. Next weekend is 50 and sunny. (Perfect racing weather). This is my 4th race and I have YET to have 2 good weather days.

Lets hope no one decides that July in Texas is a good idea.

Jason
Car #111
91 Toyota MR2

146 (edited by ninjacoco 2015-03-03 11:02 PM)

April 11 is International Puffalump Day.

(Not really--but it is when I got my first 'lump!)

CELEBRATE PUFFALUMPS