Re: The Exploding Lemon

Winging it wrote:

No we are being lame for this one and sticking with the stock 2.3. We put a very unreliable ford V8 in our e30 so it would be nice to have one of our vehicles that has a shot at finishing a race.

The V8olvo guys have great success with the 302......as long as you don't rev it too high?

Our V8 on the other hand has been "less" than reliable :>(

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Yeah we wern't revving it too high we just had some stupid bugs with the motor. We lost the oil pump on the first lap around t-hill. Like before the green even came out. It seized up on the parade lap so we had to pull the motor and change it before we even got a chance to race. Shortly after getting back on the track we lost the power steering pump and had to run into town to get a belt that would let us eliminate the pump. Then we stuck a valve late the last day and it and the piston became good friends. Turns out the flyweights in the distributor we worn so bad that it was advancing waayyy father then it should have been which resulted in some pre-detonation which was the culprit of our bent valve.  We are also running an automatic behind ours while the v8olvo guys are running i believe a t-5 manual trans. We are pulling a giant parachute as well. The wing just makes the thing so much fun to drive in the turns though we don't want to take it off. Hopefully we have all the bugs out of this thing and we will be able to actually stay on the track long enough for people to remember us at the sears pointless race.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Sweet you guys have a slushbox too!!!!  At least I'm not the only one!!!  We only use two gears (2-3)...thats it...1st is too low and 4th is far to high.... lots and lots of redline shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 85mph at Arse Freeze..... 

Once you get the "little" issues sorted the 302 is literally bullet proof....I wish I could run our V8 that hard for that long with so few issues :>(  & they make nearly identical power too...oddly enough we make a bit more torque, but they make a bit more HP.....still very equal down the straights

The wing on your car is too cool....does it really make a difference in the higher speed turns.....the Estate is more "nascar" style where you slide it around...

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

29 (edited by Winging it 2010-01-18 09:50 PM)

We are running a C4 which only has 3 gears. We, like you were only using 2 gears. Our 3rd gear was perfect. We would hit our red line, which was 5,000 rpm's just at the end of the straight but man was it a dog going from 2nd to 3rd. 

Yeah the wing makes a huge difference. Turn 3 at t-hill was awesome. We could stand on the throttle on the outside and just fly by people. Everyone on the team had a story about how they got crossed up and the wing "saved" them. With the exception of one of our drivers losing a wheel and spinning we never had any driver spin the car.

We are going to try to experiment with some type of springs under the rear wing mounts so that the faster you go the flatter the wing gets. So far we are thinking about valve springs stacked on each other inside of a telescoping rear wing stand. This will require many trips up and down our road though to perfect!

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Old Spice Crown Victoria

30 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-01-19 02:48 PM)

OhioMark wrote:

I'd like to see that  happen ( 12 hours w/o a driver change). They'd be
all over the track by the 6th hour due to delusions etc.........................

The races are basically 8 hours a day, so that would be 4 hours behind the wheeel. +/- a half hour if you were going to have one driver change each day.

Winging it wrote:

We are going to try to experiment with some type of springs under the rear wing mounts so that the faster you go the flatter the wing gets. So far we are thinking about valve springs stacked on each other inside of a telescoping rear wing stand. This will require many trips up and down our road though to perfect!

You might consider using a couple of air shocks or air cylinders.  Put a few pounds in them; enough to support the wing at rest (or some target speed).  As speed and pressure on the wing builds the air in the cylinder or shock will compress; lowering your wing.  Might be easier to adjust too:  just add or subtract air to get the desired effect.

Nick

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

32 (edited by Winging it 2010-01-19 08:19 PM)

That is a very good idea. That would also fix the problem that we were wondering if we would have about the wing possibly bouncing when we tucked in behind someone. I was thinking we may have to put a straight 5 shock on it to take the bounce out but if we just had an air shock or even 2 on it then that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Thank you very much. Sometimes its so easy to over engineer something, not that valve springs stacked on eachother are hard to engineer.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Old Spice Crown Victoria